Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AMWAM

Hell's Half Acre - New Project

Hello everyone. I have lurked around in these froums for a while now but have not posted or contributed anything to the community as of yet. I have played Doom pretty much since it was released as well as design a few levels for fun and I am now able to create wads of a quality I am comfortable with releasing.

Anyways, enough with the introduction. The project I am working on is a zdoom wad with a hellish theme, titled "Hell's Half Acre" and will hopefully consist of at least three levels. A handful of new textures and skies are going to be integrated in this wad as well as a new monster called a "Rage Imp". The Rage Imp is a custom DECORATE monster I created with only the help of Dooms original sprites. This imp is a red version that has green eyes and blood, and shoots green fireballs. The Rage Imp's attack consist of shooting two fireball in quick succession as well as the standard melee attack. I realize a red imp has been done before but this is my own take on it.

Here are a few screens to give you a taste:

The teleport area-

The start of the action-

and a few shots of the Rage Imp-

Hopfully posting these will inspire me to get me at least a level or two finished in the next couple of weeks.

Take it easy.

Thanks man. Forgot to mention, any comments, feed back or criticisms are appreciated and more than welcome.

Looking great! Really nice texture usage, and what's most important - the maps don't look cramped with all that detail.

Lookin' nice, man. The single thing that bothers me is red wall in the last three shots. Perhaps you could put a nice little trim on the bottom of the wall; the way the red, hellish rock meets up directly with the brown dirt looks odd. Also be sure that you're including variety in your room shapes/height changes.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the red wall being plain as well as clashing with the ground texture. This can be easily remedied with some additional detailing along the wall as well as the lip you mentioned.

Thanks for the good comments ALeaver, Ellmo and Tango. I appreciate it.

Take it easy.

That's a pretty well polished piece of work. I do agree with Tango about the red walls, though. Keep mapping.

Thanks everyone for you kind words. Your comments are honestly encouraging and inspiring. Makes me want to work that much harder.

Yes OmegaJ4, the rage imp is harder to kill, it has 200 health if that means anything to you (same as the revnant I think). It is also much faster than the garden variety imp as well as more damaging. I replaced the scratching melee attack sound with the revenant punching sound as well.

I spruced up the wall a little and I think it looks much better now.

Anyways, back to work.
Take it easy.

200 seems like a bit much for an imp. It's always bothered me when monsters are simple recolors but have three or more times the hit points of the original.

Still, this looks promising.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying Rone. I thought of using fewer health points for the Rage Imp but decided on 200 so that it would be a more challenging creature but still not too hard that I can throw in when I want to mix things up. To put things in perspective a Demon has 150 hitpoints and is still used fairly commonly.

A well placed SSG blast can take care of the Rage Imp, so I dont think 200 is excessive, but point taken.

AMWAM said:

I thought of using fewer health points for the Rage Imp but decided on 200 so that it would be a more challenging creature but still not too hard that I can throw in when I want to mix things up.

I think you should make the rage imp fit its name - make it not too much stronger than the regular imp, and have it throw fireballs in faster succession.... from both hands, back and forth.

Anyway the map is looking really sweet, I hope to see some other areas than that one outdoor one though!

I don't think you are using too much red IMO you should stick to this color theme.

I've made maps before that had only black and red textures and it still looked nice, I usually pick an texture that will be the main texture you see through the entire map and use others besides them in smaller numbers.

I personally don't like to see an sudden change in textures like when you visit an new room all textures are completely different.

Wow this is looking sweet. I agree with DD in that the red isen't overdone. Looking forward to playing it.

To anyone out there that wants to bring people on-board for a project or something... THIS is the sort of stuff you show :)

I don't think it is to much red either. Maybe if it were day light bright but in subdude lighting it looks just fine.

I am enjoying the screens. Keep pounding on it.

Thanks everybody for your renewed encouragement and support. While I have not completed this small project as quickly as I had originally planned, rest assured that progress is being made. I obviously have other commitments in my life, but still plan on finishing three small levels in the next few months.

Anyways, I might post some screenshots later, but don't want to spoil too much.

Take it easy.

here are a few shots:

they are still a little plain and poorly textured in places, but that will be fixed.

Nice new set of screenies! Im waiting for more and i cant wait any longer for more! haha good work. On one of the screenies i see a door texture has been modified slightly. Good work! :D