Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Razzor7

Online Co-op

I've got like 6 different ports I've downloaded, like Zdaemon, Skulltag, Zdoom, GZdoom, Odamex... Zdaemon is kinda fun, I'll play a couple co-op games or a DM if I find a running server. But what I really want to do is play co-op with a few friends of mine. I've tried doing the connection thing through ZDoom. No joy. I also tried making a server with Zdaemon. No luck there either.

I thoroughly read the Multiplayer FAQ before posting this. Sorry if there's already a thread about this somewhere.

Well if you're using any client-server source port you need to open the correct ports on your machine to run a server, that way the server is broadcasted to the internet. Otherwise it will only be visible to local machines. This is considering that you are behind a router. You can either go into the router settings through your internet browser or you can connect your computer directly to the internet (the latter is not recommended unless you absolutely cannot figure it out).

Mmhmm...

Well like I said my main concern is being able to play with just like one other person. Setting up a server is just too complicated for me. I don't know what any settings do.

What's the most active port right now? Zdaemon has like 10 active servers if I'm lucky, and all the deathmatch maps suck =\

ZDaemon is the most active port right now. I'm currently picking up 77 players right now, and this is Thursday afternoon and of course, not everyone who plays is playing right at this moment. Skulltag clocks in next place with 23 players at this moment.

A good way to get a game going is hanging around in your favorite server and wait til people start joining. Seriously, if you spend enough time in any server, people will come, especially if the server settings are desirable.

About the maps "sucking", that's the way any online source port is. Many players stick to the same maps (dwango5) no matter how good maps on other servers are. I can't really tell you how to get around this, it's something you'll deal with on your own.

Ah. I was under the impression there was some underground private doom community or something. Well thanks for the help. One more question: what's a FFA map that uses a railgun? I played some "Instagib" server and it was easily the most fun online game I ever played. Blew Battlefield/Halo out of the water.

Depends on the wad that was running on the server. Usually there is an additional wad that changes one of the weapons into a railgun (via DeHackEd) and it can be loaded with any other wad (that doesn't have an internal DeHackEd patch). You might be referring to uigib13.wad, but there are other instagib/railgun wads out there. What maps you're playing on depends on the server. In theory, there is no reason you can't run said wad with another wad with maps only.

I created a wad some time ago that essentially made all weapons fatal. A true instagib wad, although it doesn't have a railgun. Let me know if you're interested and I can throw up a temporary server. It's fun as hell. Let me know what wad you'd like me to run it with too.

Instagib is an option in Skulltag. The server simply checks the modifier and it will remove all weapons/items from the map and give everybody a super powerful railgun which kills in 1 shot. My guess is this is what you were playing... and yes - it's crazy fun. :)

This option will work on any wad or map... you just check the modifier. There's a similar modifier called buckshot which gives everybody super shotguns and makes any maps a shotgun only map. It's good too but personally I prefer instagib.