Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

Deus Ex 3 - 2009

I was actually quite entertained by the second game. Obviously nowhere near the original, but terrific compared to rubbish from the same period such as Doom 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. So I guess we'll see how the third one turns out.

I loved the original Deus Ex as much as the next guy, but as for making sequels, it always seemed kinda wrong to me. The end of the game set it up so perfect, with a clearly defined, yet slightly ambiguous outcome. Left it fresh, and the idea of a sequel doesn't make too much sense in that there were multiple endings to the first one.

But, like most games I liked the first time, there's a good chance I'll play the new one.

I'm playing through Deus Ex again now. I swear I play that game all the way through at least once a year. I don't really see how this could be a bad thing. The problems that plagued the development of Thief3/Deus Ex2 don't necessarily apply here, as that this is being developed in-house at Eidos. However, I also wonder if Deus Ex 3 could possibly live up to the brilliance of the original; there's something rather stale about big sequels these days, and games feel dumbed down to the point of nausea. Hoping otherwise though.

sargebaldy said:

I was actually quite entertained by the second game. Obviously nowhere near the original, but terrific compared to rubbish from the same period such as Doom 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. So I guess we'll see how the third one turns out.

People comparing FPSRPG games like Deus Ex to oldschool based games like RTCW and Doom3 are also quite entertaining.

That being said, I hope it'll be great, but I'm not gonna waste time speculating in weather it'll suck or not, because there's nothing good to be gained from that.

I don't see why Deus Ex 2 can't be compared to any other FPS. The only difference is that it's somewhat less mindless than most games. That was something I really liked about Invisible War, actually. Most of the time you aren't even in a hostile situation. It makes for an interesting pace. In that respect I actually took it as an improvement over the original.

You can beat Deus Ex w/o actually killing more than a handfull of people. And comparing games with fundamentally different game play strategies is silly. Just because they're both in first person doesn't make them them comparable. Would you do the same comparision between Oblivion and Doom3?

Last time I checked there's actually a way to beat the game without killing or even attacking anyone.

kristus said:

You can beat Deus Ex w/o actually killing more than a handfull of people. And comparing games with fundamentally different game play strategies is silly. Just because they're both in first person doesn't make them them comparable. Would you do the same comparision between Oblivion and Doom3?

In Deus Ex you're in a hostile situation much of the time, whether or not you can sneak around everyone. In Invisible War you're often the one who starts the trouble. I think it was an interesting change of pace.

I think it's harder to compare the Elder Scrolls games against an FPS because they're primarily RPGs set in a first person format, whereas the Deus Ex games are primarily just well-designed and intelligent first person shooters. Sure, they're different in that they're not straight shoot 'em ups, but that's partly because the technology advanced to allow a believable storyline. Newer games have followed that lead a little bit by throwing in a few non-hostiles, but mostly they're stuck with the same dated kill-everything-in-sight model that was already perfected by games like Doom and Blood.

To throw a question back, would you have a problem with someone comparing Heretic to Hexen? An FPS can have RPG elements without being an RPG and an RPG can have first person action without being a FPS.

Games don't need to be similar for someone to state he preferred one over the other.

A well designed game is a well designed game, though.

btw, Project Snowblind was supposed to be a spiritual sequel to Deus Ex, but that kind of got scrapped and we got a great FPS anyway.

kristus said:

You can beat Deus Ex w/o actually killing more than a handfull of people.

Actually, you can beat it without killing anyone.

Captain Red said:

no you can't.

unless you count kill phrases as "not killing"

There are definitely ways to do it without killing anyone.

Anna Navarre is supposedly the only person you actually need to kill in the game, but there is a way to avoid it.

Captain Red, this guide will tell you how to complete the whole game without killing anyone except Anna Navarre (the writer didn't know how to not kill her).

Bank said:
Anna Navarre is supposedly the only person you actually need to kill in the game, but there is a way to avoid it.
[VIDEO]

o_O

Goodness me! alright, I'll eat my words. Does Gunther still wine about her death?

Captain Red said:

Does Gunther still wine about her death?

No, he doesn't even mention her.

Bank said:

Last time I checked there's actually a way to beat the game without killing or even attacking anyone.

Yeah, don't you just love that? Laputin Machine...and then BOOM! Gunther is dead.

Skeletor said:

Yeah, don't you just love that? Laputin Machine...and then BOOM! Gunther is dead.

As with the video I posted above, even that is bypassable : )

My god, I can't believe I've never even played Deus Ex, the original! Getting on that right now.

As for sequels, seems like everyone is just sequel-crazy lately. In movies and games, it's all sequels now. I'm getting sick of it.

Lately? Everything released in the last 7 seven years was either a sequel, based on a comic book, or some japanese fairy tale.