Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Richo Rosai

A new version of that gay-assed Cynic Guru song!!!

I think the relative old-timers know exactly what I'm talking about.

The rest of you will have trouble, because the original version of this song seems to have completely disappeared from the internet save an old news post on newdoom.

Anyway, the guy has apparently redone it, and it can be found at this link!

http://www.louanders.com/thenoshows/Lyrics.htm

I always wondered how someone who could sing all that with a straight face (a straight voice?) could manage such production values...

Heh, I still have the original MP3.

New version sounds... slightly more appropriate for a Doom theme than the original.

Ugh...WMA...

Funny, I was just listening to this today. This new version is probably better -- not quite Doomy yet, but still a nice tribute anyway.

The original version is right in the music section here on Doomworld, by the way.

RoneKyakone said:

Ugh...WMA...

Funny, I was just listening to this today. This new version is probably better -- not quite Doomy yet, but still a nice tribute anyway.

I actually wrote and half-recorded a serious attempt at a song with lyrics about Doom. But then I thought better of it and decided it was beyond my talents, or rather my lack thereof.

The original version is right in the music section here on Doomworld, by the way.

Of all the places not to look! I based my statement on a serch I did a year ago, and then a +"cynic guru" +"doom baby" today.

Because obviously anything you don't like is "gay-assed."

I listened to it. Sokay.

RoneKyakone said:

Ugh...WMA...

Ugh indeed...I'm glad to see that none of the "NEW and ENHANCED!" compressed audio formats managed to dethrone the good old DRM-less MP3, especially not WMA.

None of them really offered superior performance for the same bitrate: there are several tests that show that, even .ogg @ the same bitrate with MP3 actually trades off some frequency response accuracy vs precision, while the old myth about 64 kbps WMA = 128 kbps MP3 is total bullshit, unless you're using a really broken/old MP3 encoder.

Plus, only MP3 (not MP3 Pro) and .OGG (?) are really free from the DRM plague.

About the song: sounds like a bunch of teens trying to sing about Doom like they would sing for a high school prom :-) Cute, but it doesn't have that "Die-Know-Might! I'm cooking with gas!" feeling you'd expect from a song about Doom..

Maes said:

Plus, only MP3 (not MP3 Pro) and .OGG (?) are really free from the DRM plague.

However, OGGs does have licensing fees, while MP3 does

RoneKyakone said:

Ugh...WMA...

Yeah, ipod needs to get their shit together. Cuz I'm not about to convert my 2000+ wma files. Then again, I wouldn't get an ipod anyway, so this comment is sort of moot.

GGG said:

Yeah, ipod needs to get their shit together. Cuz I'm not about to convert my 2000+ wma files. Then again, I wouldn't get an ipod anyway, so this comment is sort of moot.

Well, WMA support is trivial, I've got two dirt-cheap MP3 players that support it, and usually it's the second supported format after MP3, which is a sort of "standard". I don't know if using a freely licensed format would make MP3 players cheaper, but with a SD-card based player costing like Eur 17 and most DVD-players costing under Eur 40 and supporting even DivX and XVid by now, that's hardly an issue.

could someone like upload the original MP3? I've been looking for this song for years.... completely forgot the artist name...

funduke said:
Hello Myk!
her's your requested rapidshare link to the remake:

Thanks; I guess I should have updated that the link eventually worked.

GGG said:

itunes converts WMA's if you try and put them on it I think. I can't really remember but I'm sure they do because on my iPod I've got songs that are WMA on my computer. So I assume iTunes converted them for me.

And, the song's alright. It's not bad or anything, but it should try to ditch the indie singing and make it more heavy. There's a scream and shout band I like called Job for a Cowboy, a lot of their songs and albums are named after doom and it's episodes. Their music suits it well I think.

I still think it's an unbelievably terrible song, but I have to give credit for the high production values and songwriting.

Checked it out, he (manny charlton) was 54 then, started his career in the 50'ties and released a new album. (Americana Deluxe)
Stphrz in case you don't know, the song is also available on his myspace page in (somewhat)better quality. (http://www.myspace.com/mannycharlton)

AndrewB said:

I believe this was the page I was seeking the first time I ever visited Doomworld.

Hey, I never saw that page myself. What a treat to know that mine was considered a "great work of art" by someone (who was presumably drunk at the time).