Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MmM

When Stones Fly

Batadon enemy from the video game Super Mario Land

For comparison purposes, below are two images of Batadon. The first is an enlarged game sprite from the Super Mario Land Game Boy video game (for those of you who don't know, or are too young to remember, the original Game Boy did not have a color screen, the graphics were expressed in four shades of gray). The second photo is a scan of Batadon's entry in the Super Mario Land instruction manual.

Completed figure/accessory (centerfold censored via pixellation):

Webpage with more info (dimensions, materials used, background story, etc.):

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/batadon.html

Holy crap I forgot all about this game, it was my first one for game boy. I remember these guys, always hopping around.

Now let me just say you did an excellent job on constructing the figure. The I like how the wings are not rounded on the ends (like they were in the game) and the face has more structure. Very nice.

I am curious, for the head itself, did you coat it with sand or something else thats grainy?

LoL at the Daisy cover.

Very nice work!
I'm also one of those people who grew up with a Gameboy and Super Mario land... oh the memories :D
I really like how you made the stone parts of the enemy "grainy" as Inferno already said. I also love the wings... they look almost like being made of real feathers, good job!

Nice Daisy drawing btw, gimme the uncencored version ;D

nice. I remember that game fondly. you gave it a nice realistic look. great texture on the stone and great wings. I love the book as well. the drawings are great and LOL at the princess pin-up. did you draw that yourself or did you copy it from somewhere? anyway, keep up the good work.

So they're 2/3rd's the size of a centerfold... got'cha. I hated those things; though they were a simple enemy, GameBoy didn't have the platformer thing down yet. Sweet sculpture.

I wonder if Batadon evolved into a Thromp

Heh, a Moai with wings. It's been so long since I played that, the only thing I remember about it is the fourth world music.

Geo: Super Mario Land doesn't take place in the Mushroom Kingdom, where Thwomps are found, it's a whole other place (Sarasaland). All of the statue-like enemies in Easton Kingdom (levels 3.1-3.3) are a homage to the Moai monoliths found on Easter Island. So, from that perspective, I don't think Batadon, or the other Moai-inspired enemies, have any connection to Thwomps, other than being stone creatures.

Inferno: Yes, there's sand mixed in with the paint to give it a grainy texture. I used the same technique for the pyramid on my last figure.

Vader: The uncensored version of the centerfold can be found on the webpage (link given in my first post) and/or my DeviantArt account (kramwartap).

Vileslay: I drew all the art myself; I used a photo of a real woman as a still-life model for Daisy (taken from an ad in an adult magazine). I used that same photo in 2004 as a model for another drawing (Emiri Ito from the video game Idol Mah Jong: Final Romance 2).

And, finally, here's a prototype of a 2.1 inch tall mini action figure that I made yesterday afternoon.