Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

Knee Deep in ZDoom released

dethtoll said:

is that what you were trying to say, steve?

Not at all, I was just trying to say that you're retarded and your posts are a waste of time.

Well I figured a flamewar would show up.

On the positive side, it's good, but there's WAY too many monsters with the exact same function. Otherwise the map design is pretty well done.

But please, next project you do, do something original! Not doom related perhaps!

Risen said:

Those people will also admit they made a mistake.

That's nice to know... So can they come confirm this or should we just take your word?

Having been given time to play the entire episode, I still must say that I enjoyed it. I've heard a lot of anger and argument this thread, and I will admit the wad was overhyped. But so were a bunch of other games I really enjoyed because I played them for what they were, a new game, and not the delivery of outrageous promises.

The wad is fun, the boss fights are actually quite interesting and exciting. The architecture is nice, and some of the best parts of the game happen when you come across a re-imagined segment, like the green armor in e1m1. I will admit that I was a little put off by the plethora of kinda useless enemies, I suppose I always had the concept that Doom repaints should just be more powerful, and not fast or invisible because there's nothing to compare that to in the original. I was also a little disappointed in the choice to change the weapons, but regardless.

It's a good wad, and anyone still here arguing about how they feel like promises were broken or that they've been in some way wronged should really grow up. It's a game, play it. Most of you haven't given it more chance than how you felt on the first level, which obviously dictates the way the whole game plays.

So there.

My first impressions ..

Some of the ambient sounds are way too loud, and some areas you can't even hear anything because of all the humming, buzzing, dripping all over.

Some areas are pretty nice looking, others are detailed but still manage to look ugly.

Most of the light effects were too static - needed more flickering, blinking, etc.

New enemies are mostly annoying or too hard. Way too many imp and demon variations.

The sprite rotations are mostly ok.

The difficulty level is nothing close to the original E1. Some parts are downright bruitally hard. IMO there should be a difficulty level around the original E1, with no crazy custom monsters.

Not sure if this is a bug, but I got no music playing even with the music turned on. Using gzDoom.

Overall it feels like what Doom would be like if it was made with the Build engine, and Romero decided to make 20 different types of imps and demons instead of focusing on the core gameplay.

I've made it to the end of e1m3 now and must say that so far, it's been plain awesome. I never expected anything and just started to play with an open mind. It's different, maybe a bit quakeish so far but it doesn't matter-as long as it's fun to play. =) And look at all the effort put into it, it's something to consider. I always look at the creative effort and time (and love) put into a creation. Go play it now if you haven't already! :))

Loving it so far, just got to level 3. Great atmosphere, well-made new monsters and lots of surprises. There's recognizable E1 architecture to bring that feeling of nostalgia, but fortunately each level's layout is like 75% new, even if inspired by the original. I was a bit afraid that it was just going to be a rehash with more detail. Intermission screens and the intro are plain awesome. That said, these are all silly details that try to draw you away from the fact that I'm having loads of fun, and that's what it's all about in the end.

I'm playing on HMP, seems they've gone a little bit overboard with armor... I don't need that many green armors when I'm already at 100!

As much as I like the original midi's I still think some remixed versions of those midi's would be more fitting the music doesn't help getting an more creepy feeling.

I've played trough the first map so far I haven't seen the others yet and it looks nice I really liked that intro.

After all that id intelectual property nonsense I find it quite funny that there's loads of sounds just ripped from various other games with no credit given.

So far I'm up to the fourth map and I think it's pretty much what I expected. I think it's generally quite good, but as has already been said it feels quite inconsistent. Especially map 1 seemed to me to be a complete mash-up of bits done by different authors. The following levels seem a bit more consistent. Some of it looks very nice, but there are other places where the texturing/'detailing' looks pretty bad, and sometimes gets in the way (all those columns just dumped in the end room of map 1 for example).

Most of the 'new' monsters are completely pointless. Agent Spork did well not to whore decorate in Simplicity, and I think the authors of KDIZD would have done well to take note of that. All the tanked up demons and other monsters that only have melee attacks and loads of hit points are not hard, just boring. I don't like the shielded monsters either. Shooting an enemy, waiting 5 seconds for it to drop it's sheild, shoting it again and waiting again gets very old quickly. It works well in the melee-based fighting of Hexen, but not doom. And most of the sprite rotations look complete arse to me.

But other than that I am finding it quite enjoyable, and I think there's as much original material in the maps, plus homages to the original areas, as I had hoped for.

The Flange Peddler said:

After all that id intelectual property nonsense I find it quite funny that there's loads of sounds just ripped from various other games with no credit given.

Not to forget all the Doom2 textures with minimal changes to them. Tekgreen looks just horrible btw.

EDIT: I have been running around Z1M3 for what seems like an eternity, I've got a grey and a green key. But I have yet to find any door that actually utilize them. (and I'd be damned if I could find the actual teleporter to get outside in the previous map Z1M2)

Don't be that hard with the item rotations overall :) Honestly, there are rotations for the following objects:
- Rad Suit *
- Shells *
- Clip *
- Shellbox
- Clipbox
- Rocketbox
- Computer Map *
- Riflebox
- Medikit
- Berserk Sphere
- Stimpack *
- Armor Helmet *
- Green/Blue Armor *
- Backpack *

All those marked with a little star behind them look really cool ingame in my eyes and especially for the Rad Suit and the Armor Helmet, there is nothing you can complain about, the others are - and I have to admit that - something that needs to get used to but honestly, be open-minded and compare them to some of the original doom rotations or standard items. Some of them look awful in terms of perspective, but no-one ever compared and that's because you don't know them different.

The aim behind adding rotations to the items was something me and others of the team had in mind. Haven't you guys never asked yourself why the medikit, the backpack and other items from doom rotate theirselves automatically by moving around? (feels very real, indeed :P) Or why they look the same from whatever direction you look at them? The first idea was to give it a better feeling conc. realness and the second idea (and that was always one of my questions) was that I wanted always to know how these items look from any other direction, just as it is in 3D games and that's why they are in. So, don't look too close at the fact that they might sometimes look odd, just consider this as the "engine limitation" (just as you do it with monsters that look exactly the same from the top as if you are facing them in front). That way you might get the idea ;)

My impression now that I'm halfway through M3 is not very good. I'm surprised with the use of resources from other games when you went so out of the way to ask id about using things from Doom 2 (which you did anyway, along with the Doom alphas, Strife, and Dark Forces, it seems). I'm not upset or angry about this, just confused after all the talk of making this WAD "completely legal."

The levels themselves, which is what this is really about, seem pretty average. They are very inconsistent, as everyone has been saying, especially M1, which I honestly thought was terrible. M2 was much better, and M3 has been pretty good so far. I thought all the quality control that was being done would be aimed at this sort of thing, and yet all these issues remain. M1 has visual errors by the boatload on top of the conflicting styles.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but I have to agree that the rotational frames on the pickups look awful, with the exception of just a few. Armor bonuses and shells are okay, and rad suits look great. Still, it seems like a silly change and you probably would have been better off leaving them out completely.

One thing really does seem to stick out as being of fantastic quality, and that's the new monster sprites. Whatever you think about the monsters and whether they're needed or not, I think you have to admit the sprites themselves are really well done. The Shadow, Soul Harvester, and Satyr are all amazing, and I'm looking forward to seeing what other creations are waiting in the later levels.

It's not all bad, at any rate, and I think it may get better as I go. I'll post my feelings on the entire WAD once I've finished it.

kristus said:

EDIT: I have been running around Z1M3 for what seems like an eternity, I've got a grey and a green key. But I have yet to find any door that actually utilize them. (and I'd be damned if I could find the actual teleporter to get outside in the previous map Z1M2)

For ZE1M2 there is no teleporter, you need to find the green key to get outside. For the grey and green key in Z1M3, just take a look at the automap, this often helps as most things have been marked with a explicit color ;)

1. Rotation sprites that look like screenshots of the WIP voxel models.
2. Quake 2 styled intermissions.
3. The stone imp.
4. The flashy black imp that moves around a lot.
5. The bullet casings from the pistol.
6. Any of the six or seven thousand ambient noises going on at any time in any place in any level.
7. Needs more detail.
8. The exit on e1m1. Is this Half-Life now? Do we take every other route besides the front door to get everywhere?

With the exceptions of 1-3, all of these seem like the ramble of a mindless idiot.

4. I personally thought this was a fairly cool enemy. While the sprite wasn't the best (Looks more like some transparent ninja), the actual enemy seemed pretty well coded.
5. I don't see why the bullet casings would be such a big deal, considering that they disappear after a couple of seconds...
6. The ambience noises honestly didn't bother me at all. If you don't like them, just turn the music volume up.
7. The detail was fine.
8. Did you even notice the sparks coming off the door, OR tried opening it? The door is broken dumbass.

Craigs said:

With the exceptions of 1-3, all of these seem like the ramble of a mindless idiot.

4. I personally thought this was a fairly cool enemy. While the sprite wasn't the best (Looks more like some transparent ninja), the actual enemy seemed pretty well coded.
5. I don't see why the bullet casings would be such a big deal, considering that they disappear after a couple of seconds...
6. The ambience noises honestly didn't bother me at all. If you don't like them, just turn the music volume up.
7. The detail was fine.
8. Did you even notice the sparks coming off the door, OR tried opening it? The door is broken dumbass.

Way to go, troll. He's expressing his opinion, which he's perfectly entitled to do without being labelled a "mindless idiot" or a dumbass. Seriously, people are going to disagree with you and have different opinions to you - and you just made yourself look childish and immature by insulting him like that.

Wow, craigs went from being an anti-kdizd idiot to being a dumb, mindless, kdizd fanboy.

I really enjoyed map six. It may not resemble E1 but as a standalone map it's very well designed.

Scuba Steve said:

Not at all, I was just trying to say that you're retarded and your posts are a waste of time.

MY posts are a waste of time? all i merely did was express disappointment without flaming. unlike the KDIZD team it takes a lot to bruise my ego.

Hmm

I think it's just e1m1 that ends up ruining things for a lot of people. It's a pretty ugly map and not fun to play. This is unfortunate since the rest of the wad looks much better. Like others have mentioned, E1M1 is this big mish mosh of textures in every room. This makes rooms look indistinct and is hard on the eyes. I was also put off by the coronas on light sources, particularly the orange ones. They just didnt look right in the available palette.

The team's treatment of E1M8 was very nice.

Tormentor667 said:

the others are - and I have to admit that - something that needs to get used to but honestly, be open-minded and compare them to some of the original doom rotations or standard items.

Whatever. I'm on record for wanting the rotated items deleted - and I still stand by that. I can't get used to them and the first thing I did to the WAD was to delete them. It is much better now. :P

I was going to post some long crap about my issue with it, but I'm sure the team has heard enough of it. That aside it's a great body of work, well done!

Also good post Assmaster, I find that I simply hate e1m1, hated it since the leak. In fact the first three levels are on my shit list for various reasons, some already illustrated by Fredrik and Zarky. I found things get more fun near the end, I like m6-m8 the most.

Amaster said:

Hmm

I think it's just e1m1 that ends up ruining things for a lot of people. It's a pretty ugly map and not fun to play.

To each his own I guess. I happen to like the map both visually and gameplay-wise. Maybe it's not everyone's taste to play mostly with the pistol and being careful but it's something different than being handled a powerful weapon right at the start - something that irks me about most WADs out there.

Tormentor667 said:

For ZE1M2 there is no teleporter, you need to find the green key to get outside. For the grey and green key in Z1M3, just take a look at the automap, this often helps as most things have been marked with a explicit color ;)

I figured that the green door held a teleporter behind it since I can see a teleporter outside. Either way, I couldn't find the green key anyway.

In Z1M3 I've been staring myself blind at the automap. I even used cheats to see if it'd help me any, but it didn't.

This hasn't changed since the last leak, it's still best to start on e1m5 to avoid the weaker maps.

The final boss was pathetic in more ways than one :P

Graf Zahl said:

To each his own I guess. I happen to like the map both visually and gameplay-wise. Maybe it's not everyone's taste to play mostly with the pistol and being careful but it's something different than being handled a powerful weapon right at the start - something that irks me about most WADs out there.

At first being forced to use a pistol was slightly irritating, but that was probably because I'm not used to it - I started to like it though. I agree, WADs do tend to give you the shotgun pretty much straight away, and I like seeing something that deviated from this - I'm still undecided about the level as a whole though.

Graf Zahl said:

how about not dropping in 21539865976 enemies and asking me to kill them all with a pistol? as far as Z1M1 is concerned, fewer enemies = less needless difficulty = more suspense/tension/atmosphere = i like it better. you wouldn't even need the shotty (except maybe saving it for the demons.)

What difficulty? The first maps are ridiculously easy. It seemed to me as if the gameplay testing on them consisted of adding a lot of ammo and health to offset the tediousness caused by their lack in the leaked 'betas'.

I don't suppose someone could give me a hint as to what to do after I get the red key in M4?

EDIT: Nevermind. It took me a good ten minutes tabbing back and forth from DoomBuilder to ZDoom, but I figured it out. I had missed the tiny switch in the corner that opens the "Nuke Control", which leads to the green key, then the blue key, and finally the red door.