Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #306

This /newstuff sucks. Come back next fortnight when I cover something more interesting, like KDIZD.

• N.O.U.G.A.T. - Wills
    ZDoom - SP - 31kb
    If this borefest is any indication of what It Only Gets Worse will be, then I'm not looking forward to it. I am hoping that Wills deliberately released the worst level of It Only Gets Worse, because I like some of his earlier work.

• Beautiful Strange Doom Sky Pack - Eye del Cul
    N/A - N/A - 2.2mb
    A bunch of skies that can be used for your project. Thankfully Eye Del Cul includes the graphics at 24-bit colour, as some of them don't translate into the Doom palette that well. I do appreciate his efforts however, and they look very nice.

• Kohe 9 - Ruba
    doom2.exe - SP - 630kb - (img) (img)
    I don't know what's going on here with Barons being surrounded by barrels that cause them to suicide on impact, but ok. It is challenging, but it is also a forgettable WAD.

• Kohe 10 - Ruba
    doom2.exe - DM - 986kb - (img)
    A small spaceship level that reeks of filler. Why don't you just release these levels as a megawad instead of uploading each level?

• cakewalk - hardcore_gamer
    doom2.exe - DM - 986kb - (img) (img)
    The gameplay was ok, but it was too easy and the map looks like ass. Keep at it though.

• DuduKrazy's Guns 2 - Luiz Eduardo (a.k.a. DuduKrazy)
    GZDoom - N/A - 1,122kb - (img) (img)
    A weapons mod! Realistic weapons and a single futuristic weapon! THANKS FOR CREATING SOMETHING THAT WAS ORIGINAL AND HIGHLY UNIQUE

• T glass in - Chipstutten IV
    ZDoom - SP - 6kb
    Unfunny, boring.

• Wow: Enhanced - Lamneth
    Boom - SP - 2mb
    Way to waste my time and bandwidth, asshole. Wow clones have never been funny.

• Nikita Base - Walter "Daimon" Confalonieri
    Boom - SP - 99kb - (img) (img)
    This gets WAD of the Week by proxy, but that's not saying much. It's incredibly short, somewhat fun, and it has a nice level of detail. You can screw up the platform if you hit the raise switch while it's doing the (non-existent) lift movement. Congratulations, you made the only WAD (with maps) that didn't suck this week.

I uploaded dw29.wad-- why did it never get to /newstuff?

Here is the text file: I uploaded the wad and textfile in a .zip and then the text file separately like I was supposed to.

Date Completed : April 4, 2002, then revised 4 years later for this latest version
Title : Dw29
Filename : dw29.wad
Author : Jason Root,
aka Grotug
aka Hellbent

Description : A DM map without any visual dazzlement or detail but with solid gameplay and flow. (So I'm told) The map layout is a long bean like main area (sector) connected to many outside higher sectors with lots of ledges and two raised walkways intersecting the central sector. If I ever complete Greenwar2 (now will be named GrotugDM), expect to see this wad in it.

Praise r heaped on the wad: "Attached are two demos of games Milt, Cro, and I played in dw29 last nite. I just want to share them with you and tell you our story about them. I swear I'm not trying to entice you into playing with us. Cro still says dw29 is the best [DM] wad ever made. I give it an "A++" at least. These two games were so exceptional that there was a strange calm among us when we finished. Cro said "We don't deserve it," and I knew exactly what he meant. We just quit playing for the nite." (there are no demos attached in this file. Email me if you want)

===============================================================

* Play Information *

Game : Doom2
Level # : map01
Single Player : No
Cooperative 2-4 Player : No
Deathmatch 2-8 Player : Yes
Difficulty Settings : No

New Sounds : No

New Graphics : No

New Music : No

Dehakced Patch : None

Demos Replaced : None

* Construction *

Base : New level from scratch

Editor(s) used : Deep97/DeepSea

Build time : Oh, I have no idea. Prolly less than 20 hours.

Known Bugs : None

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors may NOT use this level as a base to build additional
levels. You may and are ENCOURAGED to change the textures of the wad to fit your tastes.

You may distrubute this file in any format(CD ROM, BBS, megawads etc.)provided
that you include all files included in your distribution(as in, this text file)

Where to Get this wad:

doomworld.com Newstuff Chronicles #306. ftp.3dgames.com

Daimon needs to have a custom title saying "I got wad of the week! (against a couple of Ruba maps, and some jokewads)"

[/backseat mod]

Wow detail seems quite fine, but someway out of place. It needs lot of practice Lamneth to make detailed and good looking level, but I believe after some time even you will be able to something like KDiZD!

The skies pack is pretty cool, I'd name that one "wad of the week".

Steeveeo it is the first thing he mentions so.... No.

I have got to get busy and try a few of these. YAY! newstuff.

myk said:

Me too.

Searcher said:

Steeveeo it is the first thing he mentions so.... No.

oh, I never read those intro statements anymore...

As for the skypack, I vote it Wad of the Week.

myk said:

I thought about it, but it'd seem too unfair compared to miniboss.wad which seems like a serious effort, except it's incredibly short. Plus like I said, some of them don't work well with the Doom palette, like Nieve and Desert-O.

Steeveeo said:

was ZDiZD not released in time to make it to 306?

Correct.

Is /newstuff biweekly or every week or based on how much is uploaded?

I uploaded it again. hopefully it will appear next time. It has never been uploaded before. And they can't ban it just because it has the same old browngrn textures!

It's biweekly. If anyone wants to do a guest review, they can fill in for the other week.

deathbringer said:

Daimon needs to have a custom title saying "I got wad of the week! (against a couple of Ruba maps, and some jokewads)"

[/backseat mod]

Not until i'll made somenthing of very cool and great to show to the community, but anyway thanks deathbringer!

myk said:

Giving a "render a few terragen skies and slapping them into a wad" project the Wad of the week, is kind of lowering the bar down to the floor, don't you think?

kristus said:
Giving a "render a few terragen skies and slapping them into a wad" project the Wad of the week, is kind of lowering the bar down to the floor, don't you think?

You mean over slapping together a bunch of linedefs in a mapping tool? Maybe; it'll depend on the results.

kristus said:
Atleast the later takes more than 5 minutes.

Perhaps for some people; I tried terragen once (or was it a similar program?) but didn't get very far. At least people get to know that these programs are useful for making skies. And as for the imperfections, they can be fixed if necessary.

That said, if deathz0r found the other wad more worthy, that's perfectly fair; I just expressed that the skies were a decent release (especially considering the week was "slow").

deathz0r said:

N.O.U.G.A.T. - Wills
ZDoom - SP - 31kb
If this borefest is any indication of what It Only Gets Worse will be, then I'm not looking forward to it. I am hoping that Wills deliberately released the worst level of It Only Gets Worse, because I like some of his earlier work.

Yeah, I've played a early version of IOGW and this is probably the least interesting level, there's some amusing stuff in other levels.

Wow: Enhanced - Lamneth
Boom - SP - 2mb
Way to waste my time and bandwidth, asshole. Wow clones have never been funny.[/B]

Wrong, this one's actually a funny take on overdetail.

Trasher][ said:
Wrong, this one's actually a funny take on overdetail.

True, but the concept of imitating wow.wad has been done to death and I can't stand it anymore.

deathz0r said:

True, but the concept of imitating wow.wad has been done to death and I can't stand it anymore.

I must've ignored them then, never mind me. Carry on!

Sign in to follow this