Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kelzam

Selling Collectibles

So today I dug all my old Star Wars shit out of storage. A friend of mine gave me the brilliant idea of trying to sell the stuff off on eBay. Sounds good but I have no clue where to start. I have a very vague idea of the various types of things collectors of this sort of stuff look for, like year, the series, and all that sort of thing. Really I suppose I'm wondering if anyone here is into this kind of thing or could give me some advice on where to start.

Well, depends on what you are selling. Are they still in the box? If not, what's their condition? Is it an original or limited run? Is it a re-paint of an older mold? Do they have their accessories? Etc.

Those are the primary factors that collectogeeks look for.

If these things are legit and old then I'd see if I could buy a book of the Star Wars catalogue. Collectors books will give you a starting price.

Aside from the other gentlemen's good advice, I'd suggest snooping around online auction sites (and perhaps also IRL ones) featuring toys and collectibles, to see what properties the buyers tend to bring out in the toys (is original packaging important? Are there different versions of the toys? What about accessories?), what toys are rare/common (and hence worth more/less), how important the quality is for the price (closely related to the rare/common issue, probably), the terminology (what can be considered "near mint condition"?), and just to get a feel for how much your stuff is worth, i.e. "that guy got a broken Boba Fett doll sold for 10 bucks, then this one should be worth twice that".

I've seen prices for vintage star wars that make me fall of my chair, really nice stuff I wish I had loads of it in my childhood.