Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bank

The Cyborg Prince

I've been hesitant to upload any of my drawings, but decided that I might as well.

I've been working on the concept art for a comic I'm working on, an adaption of a story that I've been procrastinating to write down for a while. In short, the comic would be a slight dumbing-down of the original space operaesque type outline, and more of the traditional comic/cartoon basis.

More or less, the comic would revolve around an anti-hero, the Cyborg Prince, leading his personal army of survivors against the mechanical Killbot horde.

I have a few sketches done, at least as far as concept goes.

One of the latest drawings, a profile of the Cyborg Prince. Probably the most striking features (and the only ones I've truly kept in all of the concept drawings) are the metallic jaw and mohawk.

Another fairly recent one showing the Prince with an injured leg (or broken, as there would be no biological components in the leg.)

Poorly scanned concept for one of the Prince's guard, tried to capture the idea of bulky/powered armor while still keeping the head un-domed to relate size.

More of a joke than anything else, thought about possibly making a stylistic change into the more simplistic limited animation motif of the 80s.

Decent profile that I made, some stylistic departures have been made since I originally drew it, but it's still my favorite of the bunch.

Action sample to go along with the simpler styling.

Finally, a killbot. Standard killing restrictions apply.

So I guess that's all of the new stuff I have to show for now, I could always go out and dig up all of the original concept I did for the characters, but it's rather poor and quite different from the final product. Suggestions, comments, critiques, or even just ideas for the comic are greatly appreciated.

I'd fit the CP with more gadgets when just the gun he happens to have in his hand. Even the standard Killbot has a chainsaw for an arm.

Indeed, some of the early concept I did had large blades that jutted out etc. I wasn't particularly crazy about the stuff just sticking out, I thought he'd be more of an inspector gadget with screwdrivers and blenders just popping out of his arm on occasion.

The tubular arm would be completely cybernetic, his right arm is mostly still there, excepting the hand which is also robotic.

An early sketch that had the more killbotesque additions.

I like the facial details the best for the prince. Additionally, the kill-bot looks sweet with his own personal smoke stack, hehe.

I really like the body style of the earlier sketch, the one with the cloak, over the more recent drawing. the bulk and boxiness look cumbersome. I also like that side profile drawing. overall the concept is great. I love the eyes look somewhat hollow, but still have a keen spark of life in them. the guard is massive and very imposing. the killbot is great as well. love the smoke stack, although I would guess that one would not be doing any stealth missions.

Right, the killbots would be more of a massive constantly moving army controlled by a disembodied brain. Since the earlier design is favored, I might as well bring out some of the earlier concept pieces.

First concept of the Cyborg Prince (ever) I've elected for a less human appearance, but some of the stylistic changes I feel I may have been able to keep.

A bulked up version, probably liked the armor on this one the best, but the face I wasn't crazy about. (Went for a more muscular/Arnold Schwarzenegger type facial structure.)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Comiclez/lugergun.png (large image, open in new window)
A joke image with a huge gun, but still with the older styled armor. Definitely one of my favorites.

Caricature done in Flash with a mouse. Done for the possibility of a flash cartoon.

I would like to mention, I'm only really trained in traditional frame-by-frame animation and flash is a little difficult for me to work with. If anyone has any knowledge of modern animation in Flash and would be willing to help me with the project, I'd be happy to supply the necessary art and voice acting. (I also do a fair bit of voice acting, so this would be a nice project to showcase some of my accents and vocal stylings.)

You seem to have almost everything on the face down-pat. The last thing I'd suggest is to work on his metal jaw more to get better expressions out of him. It sort of seems like he's grinning a lot, which might seem out of place in parts of the comic.

Grinning? How so? I really didn't get the feeling that he was, I always thought it was somewhat straight faced with more expression coming from the eyes. If you can explain to me what you mean I can definitely work on it.

He doesn't have visable lips, but instead an underbite caused by a metal jaw that goes ear-to-ear, a little like a big grin. It's like an aligator, or the cacodemon: They don't have lips as a defining feature, so they don't seem to emote.

It's not a problem in the picture like this but, in one like this, it almost gives the impression that he might be smiling.

It's not a huge problem. There's a character in the Evil Ernie comics whose face does that a lot (they poke fun at it off and on throughout the series). All you have to do is be careful not to position his jaw in a that 'smiling' fashion in scenes where it would look inappropriate, or, as the character in EE does, cover his mouth with a mask, or that cloak every once in a while. Worst case scenario, just modify his jaw to more of a 'frowny' expression, 'cause I imagine he's a character that doesn't get his smile on a whole lot.

Right, I completely understand what you mean. The concept process has toyed with certain positioning of the jaw, as the profile at the top of the page keeps it as a pretty straightfaced under bite as you mentioned. The caricature for the flash cartoon, on the other hand, would be a fair bit more animated as far as expressions go, where he may not necessarily smile, but there'd be more movement in that general area.

This is really cool. I like the entire design, really don't know what to say about it besides that it looks fucking cool!

My opinion on the jaw is just to keep drawing the Prince's face and change it a little by little to see if you get a result you like better. I'll be honest in the very first picture you posted I couldent tell if it was his jaw or not but the later pics clearly shows it's a jaw.

Taking into consideration some of the critiques on recent deviations of the original design, I've recently completed a design that I hope brings back the elegance of his original design with the cybernetic additions of the newer drawings. I've shortened his legs and lengthened his arms as well to give him a less completely humanoid form.