Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xeriphas1994

Diffs of reject maps?

(I'm using my first post to begin a new thread. Terrible manners; I apologize.)

On E1M6 of the original game, REJECT is set to true between sectors 145 and 190. This means, for instance, that I can stand in the rocket launcher room and shoot the imps coming out of the slime passage, but they can't shoot back. Doom's reject map is fairly inefficient, as can be seen by rebuilding a couple of the stock levels in RMB with the -perfect option; in light of id's overall coding practices, it seems reasonable to assume that this "special effect" is unintentional.

The question is, does the special effect occur anywhere else? Put another way, if I create a new reject map for a level, how can I compare it with the old one?

DeePsea, which normally obeys my every command with fawning enthusiasm, not only fails to optimize reject maps but refuses to export (except to a postscript file) or even unpack the REJECT lump of a level. RMB is a great tool for the "poke and peek" needed by a level designer, but it never actually shows you the whole table -- unless, I suppose, I wanted to glue it together by hand from the single-sector lists. I have done every search I can think of, and while it is highly unusual for both Usenet and Ledmeister to omit the same geeky topic, it seems that they have done so here. :>

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you need a special tool (or a special mode of an existing editor) to view the REJECT data, for example: it highlights all the sectors visible from the sector currently under the cursor.

I am developing a tool called NodeView for browsing the BSP tree (originally it was designed for GL nodes). I can't make any promises or timeframes, but maybe I could add a REJECT browsing mode to it.

The video games they play me / Face they don't remember but it take you every time, on a one on one

That sounds like a very useful thing you are writing. As PWADs grow larger and more complex, people seem to want to hand-tune their nodes (e.g. to avoid problems with roundoff error).

for example: it highlights all the sectors visible from the sector currently under the cursor.

But that's what RMB already does, just in GUI form. What I really want is to be able to type, for instance,

rjexport c:\doom1\doom.wad -e1m6 -o e1m6rj.txt
and get a comma-delimited text file of the unpacked REJECT lump, which a spreadsheet program could easily turn into a table like these. I haven't been able to find such a program, but maybe someone else has. If it doesn't exist, please don't write it just because I asked. :>