Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eugene

Eternal demos [-complevel 2]

I've recorded two max demos for Eternal Doom. Sending them along with an old speedrun to Doug.

A run through level 8 of Eternal Doom.
A crappy demo after almost three months without dooming. Mailing zip to Doug now.

Adding myself into the Eternal speedrun action here :P. Did a UV-Speed for map18 in 2:27. Also including a bug demo.

Three words sum up my reaction to that: What the heck O_o?

Hopefully that one plays back fine. It really is quite an interesting thing that happened. I wonder if I could have finished the level in this state.

But anyways, the 2 demos are being sent to Ops now.

DomRem: You're quite welcome :). Fun map to play through.

Anima Zero said:

Also including a bug demo. Three words sum up my reaction to that: What the heck O_o? Hopefully that one plays back fine. It really is quite an interesting thing that happened. I wonder if I could have finished the level in this state.

It features an intercepts overflow, resulting in the "all-ghosts bug". This makes the player unable to press switches or use teleporters, so the only way you can exit a map in this state is if there is a damage/exit sector that you can reach.

Note also that these two demos play back with the eternall.wad from eternal.zip, but not with an eternal.wad created by using the upgrade patch from eternal version 2. This issue has had the useful effect of alerting me to the problem with some of the demos in the original Eternal demo-pack - there are now only two that desync with everything that I had tried so far (et30-nom.lmp and fireston.lmp).

Grazza said:

It features an intercepts overflow, resulting in the "all-ghosts bug". This makes the player unable to press switches or use teleporters, so the only way you can exit a map in this state is if there is a damage/exit sector that you can reach.

I see. Bugged demos are always good for a laugh (At least for me :P!)

Grazza said:

Note also that these two demos play back with the eternall.wad from eternal.zip, but not with an eternal.wad created by using the upgrade patch from eternal version 2. This issue has had the useful effect of alerting me to the problem with some of the demos in the original Eternal demo-pack - there are now only two that desync with everything that I had tried so far (et30-nom.lmp and fireston.lmp).

That's my fault actually :P. I remembered downloading it back several months ago because I wanted to have a little fun with it. The upgrade patch thingy or whatever included in the zipfile never worked being I'm on WinXP. Then, for some silly reason, I renamed eternall.wad to Eternal.wad. Yeah, don't ask why I did that :P.

But for the record, the 2 map18 demos were indeed recorded on eternall.wad. Hope that doesn't cause a whole lotta confusion :P.

Now then, another Eternal Doom demo here: Map08 UV-Speed (And 100% secrets!). Time is 2:39. Should be around 10 or so seconds faster at least. Nail biter near the end. Yes, I'm crazy enough to do that :P.

Demo already sent to Ops.

Anima Zero said:

That's my fault actually :P. I remembered downloading it back several months ago because I wanted to have a little fun with it. The upgrade patch thingy or whatever included in the zipfile never worked being I'm on WinXP. Then, for some silly reason, I renamed eternall.wad to Eternal.wad. Yeah, don't ask why I did that :P.

I wouldn't say that there's any "fault" here - you used a perfectly legitimate version of Eternal Doom. It's just that Team Eternal/TNT made Eternal version 3 available in two different ways, and they didn't entirely match up with one another. It seems this also caused confusion when they made the official demo-pack.

Regarding intercepts overflows, if you find this is destroying a lot of attempts to record on a particular map (often a long linedef #0 is a major contributing factor), then you might want to turn the emulation off. This increases the chance of recording a demo that will desync with Doom2.exe, of course, but makes it more likely that you'll actually have a demo to show for your efforts. I know of only one demo where the overflow is actually useful (Ledmeister's blackbug.lmp on blacktwr.wad) - all other cases are just curiosities.

Anima Zero said:

Now then, another Eternal Doom demo here: Map08 UV-Speed (And 100% secrets!). Time is 2:39. Should be around 10 or so seconds faster at least.

BTW, Eugene Kapustin did a 2:38 (also 100% secrets) last year. He reckoned under 2:10 would be a good target time.

Grazza said:

BTW, Eugene Kapustin did a 2:38 (also 100% secrets) last year. He reckoned under 2:10 would be a good target time.

Well, this improvement brings the time for the map to something within striking distance. I improved the time to 2:16 on map08. New trick I discovered here helps to cut off a ton of time. Also skipped the Megasphere to save even more time.

Still very improvable.

Will send to Ops now.

Cool demos. Close call at the end of MAP08 there, Anima :).

Here's a UV-Speed on MAP11 in 3:48 on eternall.

Is it ok that I've been recording with PrBoom 2.4.7? The reason I ask is because I noticed two-way wallrunning (and abused it in my MAP24 demo) and I wasn't sure if that was intended to be used on Eternal? (newbie alert! :)

TimeOfDeath said:

Is it ok that I've been recording with PrBoom 2.4.7? The reason I ask is because I noticed two-way wallrunning (and abused it in my MAP24 demo) and I wasn't sure if that was intended to be used on Eternal?

As a pre-port wad, Eternal was designed to be used (and was only tested) with Doom2.exe, so if you don't want to be able to do anything that isn't possible in that, be sure to use -complevel 2 in your command line, or change the default_compatibility_level in your cfg file to 2. That will give you a Doom2.exe-format demo, with the same in-game physics.

Though I wouldn't regard your (rather nice!) demos so far as invalid in any way - you have just played with different physics, which makes some things more difficult (or impossible) and others easier (or possible at all).

Anima: That door trick was discovered first by Eugene Kapustin (he used it in the demo I linked to). Even though you discovered it independently, he still deserves credit for it.

More on eternall, with -complevel 2 this time:

MAP10 UV-Speed in 1:35
MAP15 UV-Speed in 5:41
MAP24 UV-Speed in 6:24

There are a couple of shortcuts on MAP15.
By the way, I have "Best Weapon" bound to left Shift, rocket launcher bound to Q, and BFG bound to E. I thought I'd mention that since there's no "Best Weapon" key in Doom2.exe (right?).

Don't use PrBoom for recording. PrBoom-Plus is always better and more compatible with 'vanilla'. All your demos are desync with DOOM2.EXE and PrBoom-Plus by the same way.

TimeOfDeath said:

By the way, I have "Best Weapon" bound to left Shift, ... I thought I'd mention that since there's no "Best Weapon" key in Doom2.exe (right?).

That might explain why these demos desync. You can't use this feature if you want to create a Doom2.exe-compatible demo. This is a similar issue to the direct switch to SSG, which was fixed in prboom-plus a while ago.

Advertising or not, using a "best weapon" key with PrBoom is likely to cause demos to desynch in doom(2).exe which isn't desirable when you're using the associated complevel.

EDIT: Almost simultaneous posting. :-) I'm of course referring to Hobbs' post in my text here.

Hobbs said:

Are you advertising just a little bit :P

Yes of course :P, but even latest 2.4.8.2 beta have two corrections of demo incompatibility with boom and one with vanilla. The latest release of prboom-plus (2.4.8.1) have two corrections of demo incompatibility with boom, one with mbf and two with vanilla. All these corrections was made after releasing of PrBoom 2.4.7 and therefore are not present there. Also you will have few cool bonuses for demo recording: good mouse support without lags, a fast exit at end, start from first tic (like vanilla does), etc.

entryway said:

The third is synchronized in prboom, but desynch in DOOM2.EXE (and prboom-plus) by unknown reason. I have no desire to learn the reason.

If you post your attempted fix, then I'll take a quick look at it, and see if I can track the problem down.

OK, found it: this demo (et24-624.lmp) features the old incompatible stair-building method (fixed in prboom-plus 2.4.6.1 @ 26-Aug-2006).

That's why it won't play back with Doom2.exe or other exes that emulate it accurately in this respect.