Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zaldron

New id tech unveiled

leileilol said:

so it's just megamegatexture?

I've no idea, the grabs are not good enough to tell. A vid would do wonders. I see soft shadows, I'm extremely sure the unified lighting approach is still in (you can see the iron bars' shadows on the race spectator), but I cannot say how precise the penumbra calculations are. It would rock to have volume-bound light sources.

Whatever mapping algorithm they're using, it looks like normal maps factor in for shadow calculations (there's some elongated streaks in the rock cliff).

The asian-looking guy is really lacking in self-shadowing, though. And the spectator is floating in the air, it seems, but if this is something they cooked up in ten days (using some previous assets, OF COURSE), I'm quite impressed. This level of detail is unfairly demanding.

Linguica said:

20 gigs' worth of nonrepeating brown dirt/rock, sweet!

Hahahah. Only lacking in orange lighting.

edit: and teleporters.

Are they trying to do some procedurally generated texture thing? I doubt they could find an artist that would do 20 GB of rock and dirt textures w/o going insane.

udderdude said:

Are they trying to do some procedurally generated texture thing? I doubt they could find an artist that would do 20 GB of rock and dirt textures w/o going insane.

It's very easy actually. You simply use procedural tools inside 3d modelling packages.

Dude... it's the Apple keynote and all you care about is 20 gig textures? :P

Huh, a racing game. I wasn't expecting that.

Texas Libra said:

/me cries because he'll never be able to afford a computer that can run a game like that in a million years

Ditto. :/

Planky said:

Is the Asian guy at towards the end of the clip holding a soulcube?

Probably, assuming that a lot of those resources are probably from Doom 3.

Looks nice. I'm actually more interested in the new franchise as opposed to the graphics.

Planky said:

Is the Asian guy at towards the end of the clip holding a soulcube?

Yup, definitely.

skadoomer said:

What is this game supposed to be, QuakeCarts?

You get points for running over Strogg. :p

Heh @ "vis blocking" corridor into the bar/shop from the outdoor area (see: every quake engine ever)

cycloid said:

Heh @ "vis blocking" corridor into the bar/shop from the outdoor area (see: every quake engine ever)

Except Quake1 and 2. not sure about Quake3.

But the Doom3 engine definitely used vis blockers as you call them. More accurately called "Vis portals"