Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

KDiZD bugs (possible spoilers coming so play the game first)

Since there could be a rerelease of KDiZD anytime, I've set up my mind to post some bugs I found on the way. Maybe I'll miss a few or quite a few, but whatever stays here, stays ok.

• E1M2: there's a multisector lower-wait-raise lift moving in a shaft, that when blocked by the player on the edge, will still raise partially, using the unblocked sector, revealing some wonderful Hall Of Mirrors on nearly the whole screen, due to missing textures. There might be other multisector elevators suffering this or a TFE, in KDiZD.
  • E1M3: missing texture in the next-to-next-to-last room. In the room with the stairs leading to the lobby leading to the monorail. Leftwards to the console desks a slope is supposed to make a walkway downwards, but it's missing, and in its place there's a missing texture.
  • A few misaligned textures here and there, but I can see this happen everywhere, especially in a free conversion, so no prob.
  • Boss: as someone else has shown it, it's possible to stay away from the fray, by not falling on the pit when crossing the trigger linedef.
  • Boss: he can get stuck with his Lost Souls, a behaviour also happening in vanilla Heretic, because players can move over other things, but monster Chase pointers can't. If he gets stuck and stays close enough to the edge, I can simply punch him to the end.
These are all problems I remember for now, though the Boss ones do seem somehow important for the game continuity. Note that I'm not including here such coherence issues, such as 'we see screens, but no cameras. Where are the cameras?'. These could fit another thread, not this.

In Z1M9, Military Base, the Lost Souls that spawn (after the player has opened the door to the exit building) cannot attack the player because they spawn behind impassable linedefs.

Ralph and I cooped this a few nights ago and had the following two problems in E1M8:

1. You know that section of floor that collapses into lava? The one located near the lift that takes you to the first of your final battles. The coop respawn point is located just before the aforementioned lava pit hallway and it's extremely difficult and frustrating to get across once it's collapsed. We had to lower the gravity to stop dying so much. I dont know if you would consider this a bug necessarily but I think it should be looked into.

2. It's possible for those two "mega-barons" (I cant remember their names) that you fight before the real last boss to follow you all the way back to the lava hallway that I mentioned in my first point.

Z1M2: The green armor on a pillar should not be secret. Why not making the lift leading to it secret instead. Or swap its place with the soul sphere nearby.

Z1M3: A very minor one, but I can't help to notice it every time. When using the elevator down to the mines, the sound of the switch is cut off.

The one silent teleport can be easily defeated when going back halfway down. x:-3984, y:-5530

Z1M4: Right at the beginning when you step out of the train and look to the right, you can see a missing texture on it.

There should be a way out of the pit after the nukage is lowered. Or just don't lower it in the first place. X:3375, Y:3203

Z1M5: You can get stuck behind the crates in the room behind the silver door. (Unless you consider a rocket jump a regular escape) X:2950, Y:559

Z1M8: Those boss fights have to be reconsidered. You really should be able to defeat them without picking up anything from secret areas and without bringing much from previous maps either. Even on "I'm too young to die" you'll run out of ammo pretty fast.
Overall I found Z1M8 much harder than the other levels. Maybe some adjustments are in order.

Neither kdizd.txt nor credits.txt have any word about the music, despite there are some midi's used in Z1M8.

In general:
In several places there are tarrains consisting of a grid of slopes. As this grid appear merely as distracting triangles on the automap, it should be invisible there.

The navigation keys displaying in the stats screen should be more apparent. It's very easy to miss them. In addition to this, it would be a good idea to mention them in kdizd.txt as well.

The only major "bug" I've found, besides the Z1M2 elevator HOM, is that hint arrows are not used often enough. Why have this feature and a bind letting players disable it if it's only used once or twice throughout? In general, any switch or script that might not seem obvious or apparent should have a hint arrow above it. Hint arrows would have been useful my first time through Z1M3, IMO. And if they make the gameplay too easy, you can use the key bind to disable them.

I can understand that they didn't use the hint arrows for anything related to secret areas. They wouldn't be very secret if they did, would they?

Beeing not exactly a bug, though you should implement a warning when not loaded with DOOM.WAD, since many people don't seem to get it.

Amaster said:

Ralph and I cooped this a few nights ago and had the following two problems in E1M8:

1. You know that section of floor that collapses into lava? The one located near the lift that takes you to the first of your final battles. The coop respawn point is located just before the aforementioned lava pit hallway and it's extremely difficult and frustrating to get across once it's collapsed. We had to lower the gravity to stop dying so much. I dont know if you would consider this a bug necessarily but I think it should be looked into.

2. It's possible for those two "mega-barons" (I cant remember their names) that you fight before the real last boss to follow you all the way back to the lava hallway that I mentioned in my first point.

I couldn't cross through the collapsed floor ! I got trapped before it (as i run back at the first quake).
I could pass the corridor only cheating !

And i found no where the weapon number 7 (the super shotgun) so i went out of ammo while battling the mega-barons...

Lorenzo

Lorenzo said:

And i found no where the weapon number 7 (the super shotgun) so i went out of ammo while battling the mega-barons...

Ya mean the rifle... Well that's a game planning rush, thinking that people will only try the game start-to-end. At least that's kinda plausible.

printz said:

Well that's a game planning rush, thinking that people will only try the game start-to-end. At least that's kinda plausible.

I believe that most maps can be completed with just a pistol start, but one would need to have extraordinary skills to complete E1M8 without the Rifle. Or a lot of patience.

Lorenzo said:

No, i say i found not the rifle in the whole episode!

That's because the three maps that have the Rifle all have them in secret areas. Check out this thread for general instructions on where to find the Rifles.

ReX said:

That's because the three maps that have the Rifle all have them in secret areas. Check out this thread for general instructions on where to find the Rifles.

The one in E1M9 isn't a secret.

TheDarkArchon said:

The one in E1M9 isn't a secret.

Ah yes. I'd forgotten. Thanks for the correction. [Of course, as E1M9 is itself a secret map .... Heh.]

In Z1M5, the lower part of a stacked sector space (around X=6864, Y=4992) works fine in GZdoom, but has issues in Zdoom:

- The walls between the holes are drawn with infinit hight causing glitches when viewed from certain angels.
- When one hole is viewed behind the other hole, you'll get HOM, because of upper textures are used inside the holes.
- Also the holes are not congruent in distance.

I managed to fix all of those. Feel free to take my fixed snipped and replace your lower region with it. Tested in both Zdoom and GZdoom.
http://www.zshare.net/download/246832306d4293/

I think it is not correct to put essential weapons in secret areas

Lorenzo

In Z1M9 at 376, -454, the player should not be able to move while the screen is displayed. Either that, or the screen should be deactivated automatically when the player moves away.

Lorenzo said:

I think it is not correct to put essential weapons in secret areas

You think right, sir. There's plenty of ways to make a player hate your game, but giving 'em blue balls over the final weapon is close to the top.

I've been just wondering and wondering and wondering when the hell am I going to get the weapon for these rifle rounds, and now it turns out I can finish the episode without finding it? That's leveldesignerese for "FUCK YOU WITH A BROKEN BROOMHANDLE YOU FUCKING FAGGOT PLAYER YOU DON'T DESERVE TO ENJOY MY FUCKING GAME YOU MAGGOTY PIECE OF AMPHIBIAN SHIT".