Doom 95
iFrag
Kali
GameSpy Arcade
GameSpy Comrade
ZDoom

my favorite is ZDaemon

however i like Odamex, Internet Doom Explorer and gzDoom also

I would say that mine would be Doomsday, since its the only one I can actually get working semi-flawlessly (accept for the occasional Segment Violation)

(BTW did you really need to double post?)

Uh, I'd like to pick one but it's kinda hard...what's with the lack of client/master SERVERS and all.

Kahn (which is similar to Kali and iFrag).

First of all, how many of these "client/master servers" are indeed client master servers and are actually used?

Secondly what do you mean by master/server? A source port that uses a centralized server to find players/organize games? One that organizes games using one player's machine as the "host" (server) and the others are "guests" (clients)?

DWANGO is a BBS ear phone based service if I'm not wrong. Of those mentioned, only ZDoom, ZDaemon, GZDoom, Odamex and Skulltag are actively used source ports, to my best knowledge.

Of those, only ZDaemon use a central "master server" to advertise games (and Skulltag/Odamex?).

Gamespy arcade is not a source port, but a game finding service, so it would -in a very broad sense- qualify as a "client/master server".

By looking at the list, and the way he worded the question, I'd say he really just meant "online MultiPlayer Doom engine".

The most hardcore must be vanilla Doom with direct modem play. And I mean the kind you directly dial-up your buddies. XTREEEEME!!11!!

Skulltag...Though sometimes it feels like it's lacking something other then a BFG10k, Grenade Launcher, and a Railgun -_-;; I think an update with S.T be the Grenades to not home onto the target, but shoot like they do when nothing is targeted.

Skulltag

Maes said:

Of those, only ZDaemon use a central "master server" to advertise games (and Skulltag/Odamex?).

Zdaemon, Skulltag, and Odamex are all C/S and use a central master server. You can launch all three using Internet Doom Explorer

IDE is much better than the other launchers that come with the ports and have IRC chat built in for all 3.

Maes said:
The most hardcore must be vanilla Doom with direct modem play. And I mean the kind you directly dial-up your buddies. XTREEEEME!!11!!

There's a piece of software in the archive called JServe that allowed up to four players with multiple serial cables and/or modems to play multiplayer vanilla Doom. Around a decade ago, one of my friends and I each had two phone lines and two modems, allowing us and two additional friends to deathmatch (and occasionally co-op). I know much time was spent customizing the initialization strings for each person's modem and deciding the optimal order in which dialing should be done.

I also seem to remember using PARSETUP to link two local computers over a parallel cable in the days before cheap Ethernet adaptors.

I probably played more multiplayer Doom in 1997 and 1998 than I have in all the years since...

As Skulltag mode is my favorite multiplayer gameplay mode, I think my answer is clear. I wish I played some multiplayer games back in the pre source port era, using Deathmanager, or these 5 free hours on Dwango when I reveived the Ultimate DOOM box back in 1996.

Survival Co-op, online support for such complex and ACS intense maps as KDIZD, Software and GZDoom OpenGL rendering, as well as a plethora of other game modes makes Skulltag my personal favorite. :-)

Heh, a while ago I woulda said KDX, since that's the only thing I had besides CsDoom which just plain 'ol stopped working. Now I just use Skulltag o.o