Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xgmx

the goddamn popups

please cut the shit with the popups on the forum that appear every time you visit a page on the forum or refresh a page, cuss no matter what my popup blocker (and i use a few) don't block them and they are stupid gay ass ads, even thouhg im new here im already pissed at them and there gayness

1. Grammar
2. Lessen the curses, people will take you more seriously
3. Use Firefox with Adblock Plus.

xgmx said:

please cut the shit with the popups on the forum that appear every time you visit a page on the forum or refresh a page, cuss no matter what my popup blocker (and i use a few) don't block them and they are stupid gay ass ads, even thouhg im new here im already pissed at them and there gayness

Jesus, don't be such a spaz. Doomworld can't control the popups, as they are from the host, Telefragged. Since DW is hosted for free don't expect them to go away soon.

I'd rather have the horrible cursing than a guy hiding a shotgun in his trenchcoat. Anyway, see you at Post Hell, I guess.

xgmx said:

Either English is your second language or America's school system is more fucked up than I remember. Please, tell me you're younger than 17. By the way, READ THE FAQ, NEW GUY.

EDIT : and I browse with IE and never get pop-ups.

I use IE and the pop-up blocker with that works pretty well. I also have the gay ass yahoo toolbar that has a blocker also. there are other things you can use, like spybot s&d, that blocks bad urls. if none of that works either live with the pop-ups or stop trolling.

Popups are annoying but when did they ever hinder anything about the site? I'll get one occasionally but you don't see me running my mouth off in broken English.

The Answer is: Grow up.

Can someone give me a list of stuff to block for Adblock for this site? I seem to be getting banner ads again.

Turn off javascript (and only enable it temporarily when using a site that specifically requires it for something you need to use).

"It's the only way to be sure." Besides, the Internet is a lot less retarded that way.

xgmx said:
no matter what my popup blocker (and i use a few) don't block them and they are stupid gay ass ads,

I don't use a pop up blocker on IE, but I've completely blocked the ads by putting the ad server in my restricted sites list and making sure the restrictions for them are solid. Instead of the ad I've just got a white area where id'd fit, while javascript and other such features work fine on Doomworld or elsewhere.

Grazza said:

Turn off javascript (and only enable it temporarily when using a site that specifically requires it for something you need to use).

"It's the only way to be sure." Besides, the Internet is a lot less retarded that way.

That's not very practical, seeing as more and more useful AJAX-centric apps are showing up nowadays. JS really is OK, y'know?

What I usually do is use a HOSTS file mapping known advertising sites' names to bogus IP addresses, so most ads will only cause a "host not found" message, not endless headaches. I think one was floating around here a while back.

spank said:
What I usually do is use a HOSTS file mapping known advertising sites' names to bogus IP addresses, so most ads will only cause a "host not found" message, not endless headaches.

That's an uglier alternative to the one I'm using; a white area on the page looks better than that white area with a partially displayed error message. But maybe some browsers would need to use a HOSTS file for this anyway (that's why the ad blocking plugin is the better choice on Firefox).

Man, All I use ia IE + Google Toolbar. 5612 pop-ups blocked and counting. Go get it. Now.

It could be a lot worse. I use opera and don't see any crap at all. I see it on other sites though. Ever hear of intellitext, scrolling banners, flash based sites that make you wait to login etc.? There are a million ways that DW could sell out to raise revenue. The popups are so minor, I just won't complain, be grateful.

It's been far too long since we've had a Pop-Ups Thread. I for one rejoice.

So the pop-ups are annoying and those pop-up video ones suck especially because they cut off the internet on my router every time they pop up. But I'm not making a big deal.

DJ_Haruko said:

For the uninformed, you may also want to go to the main page and click "Display Options". Helps me whenever I need to setup Konqueror again.

If for some reason you want to block a domain, say for instance, mediamgr.ugo.com, go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Restricted Sites -> Sites, and add the domain mediamgr.ugo.com to that zone. Or, if you don't use MSIE, wait who am I kidding, what moron doesn't use MSIE? mediamgr.ugo.com happens to be responsible for the popup ads on Doomworld, but that doesn't matter, since I'm just giving advice on how to block arbitrary domains for education's sake

Just started doing this, and havent got any pop-ups so far, and that Ghost Rider thing used to come up on every page.

GGG said:

It's been far too long since we've had a Pop-Ups Thread. I for one rejoice.

Not really.

Both are four months apart, almost including this one. At this rate, we'll expect another this November.

There needs to be something about the popups in the registration so people don't keep bringing it up. It's really not hard to set up a pop-up blocker, anyway.

caco_killer said:

There needs to be something about the popups in the registration so people don't keep bringing it up. It's really not hard to set up a pop-up blocker, anyway.

I really doubt the host would see it that way. But hey, these days, honestly, how many people don't have one of the many free pop up blockers?