Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
John Smith

Old exe's

Would anyone mind uploading the hexen 1.1 and heretic 1.3 executables (and the setup.exe to go with each). I've always been interested in playing the games via DOS. I hope this doesn't count as warez.

Also, how do I load HEXDD.WAD with the original .exe? Is it just -file?

Start with the "playable demo" versions. (There are also download links here).

For Heretic, you can also get a version of the 1.3 exe (without needing to apply upgrade patches) from here. This is identical to the original 1.3, but it has some extended limits, meaning it won't crash in so many instances or suffer from visual glitches so readily.

I think you have to patch a regular version of heretic and hexen to obtain the .exes you want, they are not distributed "ready to use" like e.g. Doom v1.9.

check your email, the wad files cannot be redistributed, but the .exe should be OK, and yes just use -file *.wad.

If the upgrade patch works somewhat like DOOM, then at least with Heretic you should be able to upgrade v1.2, that comes in the Heretic shareware, by putting it alongside the v1.3 IWAD and executing the upgrade patch. I don't know about Hexen, though; I doubt it unless the demo comes with the executable for v1.0, and not another (earlier) demo version of the engine.

Since the source is out and all I doubt it should be a problem if someone were to pass you one of the EXEs, but if you want first you can try applying the patches to the IWAD and the shareware or demo engine (since knowing if that works should be useful to anyone else in a similar situation).

Death kings likely works with -file, though the package uses a tiny EXE to start it up directly.