Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

QBasic Nerd

I don't care how intentional it was; that was terrible. There is no excuse for that type of audiovisual sensual assault.

This reminds me of the ubergeek students in my college who thought they were all that but ended up getting mediocre grades; their attitude pretty much matched the lyrics in this "song."

Jonathan said:

If he's a Qbasic nerd, why does he keep going on about his programs compiling?

It sounds like you're making a point but I'm not getting it.

AndrewB said:

It sounds like you're making a point but I'm not getting it.

You're obviously not enough of a Qbasic nerd.

Danarchy said:

Who the Hell programs in QBasic anymore?

I said:

I was looking up documentation on QBasic today (I actually had a reason to use it!)

And I'm not all that proud of it either, but using something that was right there on the disk was a much quicker solution that setting up a cross-compilation environment for Linux->DOS.

Anyways, some forms of BASIC that were related to QBasic did have compilers. GW-BASIC comes to mind, and I think QuickBasic through the PC BASIC Compiler.

On a side note, it sounds like he used a Casio keyboard, or whatever they rebranded them when they were sold at Radio Shack. I recognize that snare drum.

Jonathan said:

Because in later versions of QBasic (ie not the free one that came with DOS), you could actually compile it out to an executable. Duh. You're obviously not a QBasic nerd.

(I actually tried the compiler back in the day. Adapting the code's syntax to make it work under other basic compilers resulted in code that ran at least twice as fast. QuickBasic lol.)

I wasted many hours in high school programming ASCII-art games in QBasic... I've tried reading them now but I just end up getting a headache - apparently "qwerty" and "asdf" were fashionable variable names back in the day :)

Jonathan said:

Real Qbasic nerds had the full commercial QuickBasic 4.5 version which included a compiler.

fraggle said:

Real Qbasic nerds had the full commercial QuickBasic 4.5 version which included a compiler.

Yes, but QBasic is not QuickBasic. If he sang "my C programs are always object oriented", it wouldn't make sense just because C++ supports objects.

QuickBasic can be referred to as QBasic. C++ can't as much be referred to as C, however.

AndrewB said:

QuickBasic can be referred to as QBasic. C++ can't as much be referred to as C, however.

Not really. QBasic and QuickBasic are related, but different systems. I used to try to run QuickBasic code in QBasic, and it would occasionally fail.

Even I used to have QBasic and compiled a few programs - and I know nothing of programming. I think my most complicated program was something that randomised the splash screens shown when Win3.1 started up. (I'd hacked a few win.com files to contain different images and the Qbasic program picked one at random.) Yeah, nothing special - I know.

There were multiple scenes where he WAS out of the house. More... well that would be different...
Anyhow...
I like Pascal a lot better. The structure seemed much more ... appealing. (Not only that but I spent countless hours trying to perfect the color scheme of my Turbo Pascal compiler)

I actually enjoyed the song though. It wasn't the quality that is required to make the news or anything but it isn't a waste of time to watch.

Jonathan said:

If he sang "my C programs are always object oriented", it wouldn't make sense just because C++ supports objects.

*ahem*

doom2day said:

There were multiple scenes where he WAS out of the house. More... well that would be different...

Yeah I mean more often.

When I read QBasic I was instantly thinking of Cubase and it took me a few seconds to realise how wrong I was..