Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Eternity Engine 3.33.50 RC1 "Phoenix" Problems

There are problems introduced with this new release:

• It won't accept screen resolutions 320*200, 320*240, 640*400 AS FULL-SCREEN. It'll bomb out if I set it to the offending resolution, in-game ("Couldn't set video mode 640x400" exit message for example).
  • It cannot detect the SHIFT key (whichever), so I can't run using classic keyboard setup. I'm used to that.
  • The console can't activate when the Doom menu is active.
And the bug(s) that still remain:
  • I still cannot run Eternity from inside the MS-DOS Prompt window set at full screen, when the engine is configured for ANY full screen resolution. It stops at this message, "Couldn't set video mode 640x480", for example, and ends. Note that it works fine for windowed resolutions.

printz said:

There are problems introduced with this new release:

• It won't accept screen resolutions 320*200, 320*240, 640*400 AS FULL-SCREEN. It'll bomb out if I set it to the offending resolution, in-game ("Couldn't set video mode 640x400" exit message for example).
  • It cannot detect the SHIFT key (whichever), so I can't run using classic keyboard setup. I'm used to that.
  • The console can't activate when the Doom menu is active.
And the bug(s) that still remain:
  • I still cannot run Eternity from inside the MS-DOS Prompt window set at full screen, when the engine is configured for ANY full screen resolution. It stops at this message, "Couldn't set video mode 640x480", for example, and ends. Note that it works fine for windowed resolutions.

1. Probably a video driver issue. SVN may or may not have a fix to this, in the form of command-line parameters that select GDI or DirectX video. You might want to experiment with your video card drivers, including changing the display refresh rate. Some newer cards simply cannot handle low resolutions in fullscreen, however. If this is the case, you'll be out of luck unless there are better drivers for your card. The modes you list are all typical ones for people to have problems with.

2. Never heard of this before, don't know what would cause it. Hasn't been reported by any other user. Will keep an eye out for possible solutions.

3. Not a bug. Console and menu inputs conflict if the systems are allowed to overlap, so you're simply not allowed to use the console while inside the menus.

Cancel the first two bugs. The features work on this computer, but not on the other, offended one. The oddity is that they worked on previous versions on that computer. This computer has WinXP, the other has Win98 and is around 8 years old. The running from full-screen DOS Prompt still acts funny here on my modern computer. {but by switching to windowed mode (not permanently), heh, not by halting.}

The gripe left is that I can't bind Print Screen from the menus, and how do I unbind keys from a specific function? Otherwise, this version is a step ahead from Paladin.

Print screen key was bugged in SDL until recently. It is supposed to be fixed now, though, so I can add support for the key back to EE.