Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Is using the unreleased doom tracks legal?

I wander if using the unreleased doom tracks is banned but if not i would love to use some of them! :) And i have heard some of them in other wads, like Plutonia or TNT (i think.)

Plutonia and TNT: Evolution are commercial products that were sponsored by id software so its safe to assume they can use some of the tracks.

As far as legality with PWADs, I don't know. I don't see the harm though, as the are freely released.

Lamneth said:

Plutonia and TNT: Evolution are commercial products that were sponsored by id software so its safe to assume they can use some of the tracks.

None of those tracks are in Plutonia or TNT. And no you can't use them, only I can, Bobby Prince is my uncle and he said I could.

Use3D said:

None of those tracks are in Plutonia or TNT. And no you can't use them, only I can, Bobby Prince is my uncle and he said I could.

That's a shame, oh well.

Quasar said:

ROFL did you actually believe that?

It's true, those tracks aren't in Final Doom!

Ask Romero on his website for permission. Use the little message box on the right. That's where he looks. And you should grovel a bit.

Just shove any old MIDI in a wad, nobody gives a fuck... and those that do will only pick apart this three-line post and go off on a vast self-rigteous rant about it, but can be ignored.

hardcore_gamer said:

Well i can swere i heard them somewere, but perhaps that is just me.

You probably heard them on Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power, Alice in Chains - Dirt, and other albums of the time.

Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Most of the Plutonia music was ripped from Ultimate Doom so technically they are in Final Doom, (most notably un46 = Plutonia MAP25).

On topic. Is using RELEASED Doom tracks illegal? Many vanilla and Boom wads use songs from Doom1, Doom2, Heretic, Hexen, for another game.

Extending the topic's question, is it allowed to rip stuff from the Doom alphas? Some are pretty interesting to reuse.

printz said:

Extending the topic's question, is it allowed to rip stuff from the Doom alphas? Some are pretty interesting to reuse.

Yes.

I was just screwing with you man, take what you will.

Yeah the police are tracking down people right now for use of illigal MIDI files, you better not take the risk because they might sue you for using uncopyrighted music that wasn't even in the game, regardless that they released it to the public.

DJShrimpy said:

Yeah the police are tracking down people right now for use of illigal MIDI files, you better not take the risk because they might sue you for using uncopyrighted music that wasn't even in the game, regardless that they released it to the public.

Well if you put it like that.......

DJShrimpy said:
uncopyrighted music

Wrong.

OK, they released the midis to the public for our listening pleasure. I haven't seen a statement that says they are public domain.

Is it so hard to just ask nicely?
"Can i use one of your unused tunes, namely <INSERT NAME>, inside my little project for doom/doom2/heretic/hexen?"
Jeez, grow some balls already, cant recive worse than a no :-/

Bastet Furry said:

Is it so hard to just ask nicely?
"Can i use one of your unused tunes, namely <INSERT NAME>, inside my little project for doom/doom2/heretic/hexen?"
Jeez, grow some balls already, cant recive worse than a no :-/

Well yes but the hole purpose of the thread is getting to know if it is legal to use those or not so i (and those who want to) don't have to go through the effort of asking!

Considering that most of the songs are blatant rips I don't think Prince would have a leg to stand on. Not that he would care anyway, he always has seemed pretty cool about letting people use his stuff for non-profit projects.

hardcore_gamer said:

Well yes but the hole purpose of the thread is getting to know if it is legal to use those or not so i (and those who want to) don't have to go through the effort of asking!

As long as the author wont say "Do what you want" its illegal, EOT ;)

@DarkSoul520:
Um, why?

hardcore_gamer said:

i (and those who want to) don't have to go through the effort of asking!

You're right, you had a big day and already went though the effort of mkaing this thread...one step at a time, just one step at a time.

Use3D said:

You're right, you had a big day and already went though the effort of mkaing this thread...one step at a time, just one step at a time.

You are right, he could die of some hearth attack or something along that line. :D