Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bastet Furry

FPS-RPG-Style Inventory System, how would you do it?

So, how would you do it?
I thought, as i cant get a mouse cursor and a paused game while having one in any port i could go the DeusEx2 route.
Or is there any port out there that has such a powerfull scripting engine that i could have a paused game and a mouse cursor that would give me the mouse coordinates when a click occurs?
Dont want to create AnotherPortForJustOneWad :-/

A lot of ZDoom scripting should easily be able to make a more menu-style inventory system and such, though I doubt you can make it pause the game.

So i am heading for NextPortForJustOneWad?
For such an endevour i need more time, Projectidea "The Elder Doom" putted on ice.

Yeah... huge maps with much to discover and a main plot you dont need to follow setted in the doom universe.

Lamneth said:

A lot of ZDoom scripting should easily be able to make a more menu-style inventory system and such, though I doubt you can make it pause the game.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe there are ACS commands to freeze the game. There's a console command for freeze mode, but the player can still move, so it's pretty likely that there's an ACS command for it, too. I know there's a player property command for freezing the player. If one command won't do it, use both of those.

Alternatively, you could teleport the player out to safety while he manages his inventory. That'd let you, say, put the player in a virtual reality setting like he's inside his virtual equipment warehouse or something like that. Or you could even just do camera changing like in RTC3057 to put a background on it.

Lots of potential there, but with lots of work needed.