Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jethro

Sector9, first level ready for playtesting!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QFRK87JY
Yes, in retrospect, having the hell knight/baron at the beginning was fairly dumb, but I wanted people to run and try to get ammo to take them out. However, if you play this on UV, you will NEED to chainsaw/berserk certain enemies. Hey, I wanted it to be hard, even for me.

Yes, so it's my first map. Would you mind telling me what I did wrong with it? I know height variance was HORRIBLE, but it's a warehouse. At least it's not TOO bad, right?

...right?

i liked it. if you would please, run Doom Builder and press F4 and Fix and Recheck it. but all in all, i liked it.

Not bad. Definitely a first map but reasonable difficulty and ammo etc placement. Some nice ideas in there too.

However, It looked like your first build of the map before you went back to finish it. To make it feel more complete you need to have more variation in things like texture use, height, details etc.

On height variation - you need more, much more. Most of the map is basically a maze in a 128 tall room. It's only just disguised by the fact that the walls of the maze look like boxes. Don't always use crates the the ceiling - have stacks of crates of varying height, use service pits in the floor and platforms or whatever. The one main are where the floor was a little higher still had crates to the ceiling so they got cut off at the bottom. The ceiling can, of course, have its height varied too.

Could you host it somewhere else? Rapidshare hates me. I enter the code, it tells me I am wrong on inputing the code (even though I put it in right, I checked) and now I have to wait 15 mins to try again. Rapidshare sucks.

Antidote said:

Could you host it somewhere else? Rapidshare hates me. I enter the code, it tells me I am wrong on inputing the code (even though I put it in right, I checked) and now I have to wait 15 mins to try again. Rapidshare sucks.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QFRK87JY
I also made a few quick edits. The secret is fixed.
Also, I WILL NOT be fixing height variance. I tried several times, but I always open up sectors. I'm not willing to completely re-do the map.

Thanks, I like Megaupload better. Downloading now.

Edit: Ok played through. I did not lose any life until the Chaingunner trap. There must be something wrong there.

Other than that, looks good.

Antidote said:

Thanks, I like Megaupload better. Downloading now.

Edit: Ok played through. I did not lose any life until the Chaingunner trap. There must be something wrong there.

Other than that, looks good.

What difficulty? And yes, that trap can be fatal if you aren't prepared for it.

I had the megaarmor, so I only lost 6%/6%. HMP difficulty (I keep meaning to change it to UV, but I always go with default).

I was almost going to lose some health to that first sergeant, but he missed me almost point blank. It was so weird.

I got this while playing it with prboom+, doombuilder found 75 issues about missing textures.

It is improved since the first time I played this map.

Antidote said:

For DD.

...And apparently everything else I tested it on.

dutch devil said:

NO! its not needed to create that effect.

Oh, really? I'd love to know how to create that effect in other things, care to point me to a guide?

Me being too lazy to fix it, mostly. Whene'er I try to, I always screw stuff up.

To jethro,

i just downloaded that mod 10 minutes ago. I like the way you made it look like a warehouse. Hell, for a first wad, thats very good. my first wasnt as good haha. But just 1 hint, on doors, the side sectors on the doors, they could be lower unpegged to make it look better. instead of the sides moving up along with the door, it stays still. But still, excellent first mod!

About how much ammo did you have at the end, and did you think the secrets were too hard to find?

Well no, considering they were all in the same room. Although after the rockets, the rooms contained nothing. I don't know if the BFG was considered a secret, as it was not tag as one... I didn't pick it up.

I was low on shotgun ammo, had very little bullets, no rockets. There were some cases where I had no ammo, having to chainsaw a caco or demon.

The chaingun room trap can easily be avoid if you inch into the room.

The BFG WAS NOT a secret, it is supposed to be unreachable. This wad will not provide you with a bfg on normal or hard.

Low on ammo is a good thing, considering the way I've place the things on the next levels. (Yes, level 3 is done except for aesthetics. )

Im actually making a megawad myself. My mate is out of action for a while on it because of windows vista (long story, dont ask) but anyway. You reminded me to add objects for easy and hard. guess i'll have to go through all 6 levels ive done so far and do them again, with new things :S happy mapping!