Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

Doom Wad Station shutting down

This is sad, DWS was the first site that I ever downloaded a wad from :(

What about wads for download on the sites hosted by DWS? i've saved a bundle off one of them. Will probably do some others later on... i might contact the authors and archive them depending on thier compliance with the rules, non crapness, the authors agreeing and the wads not already being there

Snarboo said:

Where's the Hacx mirror going to be hosted now?

The Hacx files are in the archive, and the original site still exists.

Zeroth said:

I suggest someone download every last drop of wad there and soak up the non-crap into the /real/ idgames archive.

Should be rather simple with wget --- "wget -m -p -k -E http://www.doomwadstation.com/"; but be prepared to have dozens of gigabytes and probably a couple days or so to get it all.

MikeRS said:

Should be rather simple with wget --- "wget -m -p -k -E http://www.doomwadstation.com/"; but be prepared to have dozens of gigabytes and probably a couple days or so to get it all.

Someone SERIOUSLY do that. I wanna see what's all on there.

deathbringer said:

What about wads for download on the sites hosted by DWS? i've saved a bundle off one of them. Will probably do some others later on... i might contact the authors and archive them depending on thier compliance with the rules, non crapness, the authors agreeing and the wads not already being there

mine are already in the /idgames archive, but also DooMAD asked if I would like to be hosted over at Team Hell Spawn, so my few things will also be there soon. I hope Silent Zora also finds new hosting, as his MIDI tracks are quite awesome.

MasterOfPuppets said:

mine are already in the /idgames archive, but also DooMAD asked if I would like to be hosted over at Team Hell Spawn, so my few things will also be there soon. I hope Silent Zora also finds new hosting, as his MIDI tracks are quite awesome.

He has new hosting and his own domain now: http://zoraspace.net/

HTTrack is a front-end of wget, so you'll just get the exact same result anyhow. >_>

leileilol said:

archive.org doesn't save files.

It doesn't save ALL files. I have found that it saves SOME files, some pictures (but not all). I think it depends on how the link is setup. For instance - if your zip file is simply linked "something.zip" then it often saves it, but if it uses the full address of the site, it doesn't or can't be reached that way.

Yeah, sometimes it does save them. I got some zipped wads from a (dead) site on The Wayback Machine.

if your zip file is simply linked "something.zip" then it often saves it

They must love me....
Hmm, i wonder if i can get hold of skewl.wad?

Tango said:

You're totally right man, Doomworld is going to die any day now! RIP DOOMWORLD :(((

Doomworld isn't going anywhere, you little bollocks!

Rumours of the doom "webring" demise are greatly exaggerated, especially as no one ever cared about DWS.

It was much worse when doomcenter died.

To be fair, DWS did provide me with psxmusic which I had misplaced (I have the psx games tho). If you dont have these tracks I urge you to get them while you still can.

Mancubus II said:

A unique site? I would hardly go that far. Only-positive reviews, half-baked ideas of what it means to be an archive mirror and other useless junk being run by a self-centered prick.

Can you go into a bit more detail about why you say this? I've heard it before from other people, but I can't find any specific things he's said/done that would make everyone so pissy towards him.

I know that I missed something, so please clarify if you don't mind (or anyone else who knows the story behind it.)

chubz said:
I've heard it before from other people, but I can't find any specific things he's said/done that would make everyone so pissy towards him.

The main problem was that for a long time he offered wad CDs for money, and DOOM wads can be made and distributed as long as they are not offered for money in any way.

I always liked DWS, ive always liked Bob too, a really nice guy, I didnt mind him trying to make a few dollars from those CD's, it wasnt hurting anyone and must have been useful for those who only have dial up modems, could save them a small fortune in downloading costs.

oh, I used to be mystic, creator of many annoyingly repetative legacy maps. (they did look good though)

Plonker said:
it wasnt hurting anyone

You can only speak for yourself and anyone you've heard from, so that's not a valid statement, especially if there were complaints. In any case, it's history, since Brad_tilf reasonably decided to drop the practice, and I doubt the new guy would want to do something like that against the requests of id and various wad authors.

its a valid statement to me, a lot better than having others make statements on my behalf. everyone is entitled to my opinion

well they are welcome to disagree or agree with me, I wont be accusing them of making invalid statements.

I know I was often tempted to buy one of those CD's in the dark days before broadband but never got around to it mainly because I was very wary of giving bank details away online, stuff like that.

Im pretty sure most of the folk who have had any dealings with bob larkin would agree he is one of the good guys. I just hope it all works itself out for everyone involved.

lets not allow the doom community to collapse in on itself.

Plonker said:

well they are welcome to disagree or agree with me, I wont be accusing them of making invalid statements.

But you just said that you don't want people making statements on your behalf, and yet you do that to every other person around. ... Nevermind.

Plonker said:

Im pretty sure most of the folk who have had any dealings with bob larkin would agree he is one of the good guys.

I can tell you that much, that there's plenty of people I know who will disagree with you on that statement aswell.

Plonker said:

lets not allow the doom community to collapse in on itself.

If I had a penny for every time someone...
I don't see it doing that, hasn't done it for some 14 years now and I don't see it happening anytime soon, and definitely not over something as trivial as this.

Plonker said:
I wont be accusing them of making invalid statements.

If authors felt annoyed that someone was selling their wads (in other words, infringing their copyright requests), they'd be expressing that they were somehow slighted or hurt, and by saying no one got hurt from that you're invalidating what they are saying and ignoring their copyright.

I wasnt aware he didnt get permission from the authors first. Im a wee bit surprised if thats the case.
I personally never got into all that copyright stuff and dont know or care if any of my work was included but I understand some might be offended.

pritch said:

To be fair, DWS did provide me with psxmusic which I had misplaced (I have the psx games tho). If you dont have these tracks I urge you to get them while you still can.

I'm a bit late on the response but Doom Depot, despite not being updated in two years, still hosts the PSX music (as well as Doom 64 and others). Voila.

So, not all too much of a loss :)