Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

The Doom Bestiary

Tormentor667 has set up a monster database for download. Most of the monsters are graphically improved versions of ones from the MRW (they went through the KDiZD process), but there are others as well, usually whatever the community releases. According to his statements:

Submit your own monsters here now and if they are of any worth, be sure that they will be added soon. ;P If you find bugs, problems or things one could improve, feel free to do so and submit the bugfixed wad here as well.

Anyone can send his monster(s) to Torm, or send updates. Unwanted releases can also be removed on request. A worthy resource for any Doom mapper. Here it is.

fp, ib4j, etc.

this should be useful. just hope it doesn't get abused too much.

Sweet. Now we just need a new TNT installment that showcases all of these (and pits a few dozen of each against the player in an epic end battle)... ;)

dethtoll said:

fp, ib4j, etc.

this should be useful. just hope it doesn't get abused too much.

It's certainly a very easy resource to use. I can't imagine it not being the case. :P

How the hell do u use any of these files? The original monster pack I downlaod, than I check off both wad files and I get a level with a bunch of switches. I hit the switches and nothing happens! Obviousely a new monster should appear....

And the new pack is only one monster at a time, I right click a wad file and load using ZDooM or ZDooM 2 but there's just the regular level. I thought there'd be a sample box level with a monster....

And beyond that, how would I find out thing types to use in DooM Builder. I had a brief idea of revisiting the idea of yesteryear with E1M1 remakes, except now it'll be a Hell level with alternate music and new critters (ones that artistically fit in)....

CodenniumRed said:

And the new pack is only one monster at a time, I right click a wad file and load using ZDooM or ZDooM 2 but there's just the regular level. I thought there'd be a sample box level with a monster....

i thought that was the idea? just download the monsters you want to use and merge it with your wad and there you go new monsters for your level.

The "difficulty" description in the Bestiary section is too vague in my opinion; difficult with respect to what? There's the enemy hit points, projectile type/damage, pain chance, movement speed, and so forth. And there's the factor of enemy placement in the level too. A chaingunner can be made more dangerous than a revenant under the right environment. Rather than saying they're hard, easy--or any shades inbetween, more precise would be to catalog their inherent attributes* like projectile type, ability to hover (or not), hit points, and so forth.

*Such attributes can be modified by the end-user, but the default stats are given in the decorate lump file.

How do u add wad files in DooM Builder? Like it's easy to add texture and flat files but how do u 'incorporate' an existing WAS (with, say, monster or music info) into the current file? I think I'm posting in the wrong forum lol.

CodenniumRed said:

How do u add wad files in DooM Builder? Like it's easy to add texture and flat files but how do u 'incorporate' an existing WAS (with, say, monster or music info) into the current file? I think I'm posting in the wrong forum lol.

Have you checked out slumped?

Not yet but thanks! I've also been browsing the 'DooM Builder' forum but haven't found info regarding that yet. Also how do u contat CodeImp? He probably took down his E-Mail because, due to DooMbuilder's popularity, his box got flooded. I should try his tech support thing too, and this 'Slidge' thing. Thanx guys. :)

This is pretty cool. If I were to actually do something useful, I would probably use this.

any reason why these new monsters wont work in a Legacy map??? just curious in case I start mapping again

Plonker said:

any reason why these new monsters wont work in a Legacy map??? just curious in case I start mapping again

Legacy doesn't support the DECORATE lump, which is used to specify the behavior of these new monsters.

I think Legacy2 will support decorate though, but I dunno. I've stopped following it's development.