Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EANB

Getting monsters to spawn

I am wondering how to get monsters to spawn within a map (Zdoom-Doom in Hexen format). When the player crosses a line, I want a demon to spawn in a pit of lava.

Heres what I have so far-

Lindef action: 135 thing spawn
Activation: Player walks over
Spawn Thing: 8
Thing angle: 180

However, I dont understand this which is from the Zdoom wiki article:

Mapspot tag:?

TID is a number that makes a thing unique, the default is zero, and therefore a TID is usually set to something else, like 1. In Doom Builder you have to right click on a thing, select the Effects tab and change the Thing Tag to something besides 0.

How to I get it to work?

well, to get somtm to spawn in ZDoom, you need a map spot. Just place that in your map, give it a Thing ID tag, and tell the line to spawn thingtype 8 at mapspot <insert tag here>

I have another question. Why is it that sometimes I have to walk over the line twice, or Backwards to get it to work?

The line is facing < and the player moves >

flip the linedef, then try it. Can sometimes happen with teleporters, you walk onto them and then have to walk off before the teleport happens, because the linedefs are "facing the wrong way"

The lindef is facing the right way (the little stick thingy points in the direction that the player comes from), but it doesnt seem to happen anymore (problem is fixed).

Question #3

I have seen some nice lava effects in wads that cause the pool to 'ooze' (in KDIZD, for example). How would I go about implementing this? Floor Waggle just seems to make the pool rize and fall, without oozing.

The ANIMDEFS lump is the way to go. Look for warp and warp2. The first one warps a flat (or texture) like quake did and the second one is used for a more water-like effect.

I suggest using a static flat,as an animated one just looks plain ugly when warped.

Thanks. As you can probably tell, I have just started toying around with doom in hexen format- I didnt realize it was so easy to use.

Alright heres another question-

Is there a way I can get a random monster to spawn in a desired location? (Without using Icon of Sin thingies)

You could spawn a DECORATE actor which will spawn a random monster in its Spawn state: I'm not a DECORATE wizard but I'm sure that it's a combination of A_Jump and Thing_Spawn. The ZDOOM wiki has documentation about DECORATE.

fuck decorate
use acs and put all the doom monster spawn numbers in an array and use a combination of thing_spawn() and random() in a script.

I think I will go for the array thing, but I just looked up arrays on the zdoom wiki and they look awful complicated...

How would I go about writing it?

i am use 135 spawn thing with a switch . I give a mapspot tag and under at thing type i can't see my every actor what i made in slade . If i write the name manually or  the actor id and then press ok it's closed and then when I open again the thing type stay none . 

What is the problem ? How can i see every actor at thing type ? I want to spawn monsters with switch . The spawn thing is working but not with every actor. 

I am use Ultimate Doom Builder R4140 64bit    v3.0.0.4140 (39be7a7) .