Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The dark secret of online Doom

No explanation, just watch.

[edit by fraggle] ebaums link replaced with youtube :-)

Meh. Since when are there imps in deathmatch?

Also screw eBaum's world. I'm a bit surprised to see the watermark is missing from the video though.

Coopersville said:

Only wimpy Nintendo fanboys would care where ebaums gets is material.

Seeing as I'm not a Nintendo fan period your logic eludes me. I just don't think it's ok for a website to build an entire empire on stolen material and then call itself legitimate. At least the pirate bay knows it's stealing and says it in the title.

But regardless, the video is very nice and original.

Noticed the sounds and music? Something is terribly wrong with it:
0:17 item pickup sounds even before any music's playing
0:23-0:35 D_E1M1
0:24-2:09 D_E1M3 (overlapping with the others)
0:35-0:36 D_INTER
1:20 an Archvile wake up sound! Why is it there when it is supposed to be a Doom 1 deathmatch?
1:27-1:57 D_E1M4
2:10-2:11 D_E1M5

Might be one or two seconds of due to the low quality where it is hard to be sure. Also D_E1M2 might be there, though it's hard to be sure with all the low quality sounds either.
Looking at those times, it could be a speedrun. DdQ seems to fit (ignoring D_E1M3 and those misplaced sounds).

Lamneth said:

Meh. Since when are there imps in deathmatch?

Since v1.0, unless you start the game with the -nomonsters option.

LogicDeLuxe said:

Noticed the sounds and music? Something is terribly wrong with it:
0:17 item pickup sounds even before any music's playing

I was going to mention this, but then I realized that this is multiplayer, and the sound source is coming all three players. Presumably a guy was in the game collecting items before the others joined, and he simply had his music turned off.

0:23-0:35 D_E1M1
0:24-2:09 D_E1M3 (overlapping with the others)
0:35-0:36 D_INTER
1:20 an Archvile wake up sound! Why is it there when it is supposed to be a Doom 1 deathmatch?
1:27-1:57 D_E1M4
2:10-2:11 D_E1M5

Might be one or two seconds of due to the low quality where it is hard to be sure. Also D_E1M2 might be there, though it's hard to be sure with all the low quality sounds either.
Looking at those times, it could be a speedrun. DdQ seems to fit (ignoring D_E1M3 and those misplaced sounds).Since v1.0, unless you start the game with the -nomonsters option.

I can't argue with the rest of what you said though. I'm sure it's faked. I mean, the entire premise of the video is ridiculous, so IMO it would be more surprising if they actually had a legitimate match.

Coopersville said:

Only wimpy Nintendo fanboys would care where ebaums gets is material.

Again, huh? I'm the opposite of Bank. I'm a Nintendo fanboy and I don't give a footlong where the videos come from.

I agree that ebw is a crumby site, although lately they shy away from any type of copyrighted material and just use whatever you might see on YouTube. I try to take solace in the fact that I never click on any ebw ads, and I have never been influenced by any image ad on the site to actually inquire about said product.

AndrewB said:

I was going to mention this, but then I realized that this is multiplayer, and the sound source is coming all three players. Presumably a guy was in the game collecting items before the others joined, and he simply had his music turned off.

In Doom, a network game doesn't start before all players have joint. I didn't check all those ports, though. Maybe some behave differently.

However, now as you mentioned it, you are right about the sound coming from all three players, but I don't think they are playing a network game at all.
Player one: plays E1M3 all the time.
Player two: is probably watching the DdQ speedrun.
Player three: plays Doom II without music, hence the Archvile wake up sound.
This also explains the absence of any item or player respawn sounds.

LogicDeLuxe said:

In Doom, a network game doesn't start before all players have joint. I didn't check all those ports, though. Maybe some behave differently.

ZDaemon behaves differently (allows to join at different times) and it's the most common multiplayer port.

However, now as you mentioned it, you are right about the sound coming from all three players, but I don't think they are playing a network game at all.
Player one: plays E1M3 all the time.
Player two: is probably watching the DdQ speedrun.
Player three: plays Doom II without music, hence the Archvile wake up sound.
This also explains the absence of any item or player respawn sounds.

Like I said, it was faked. All I was saying was that the "item sounds before music" issue was not a legitimate reason to call it fake.