Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorenzo

Resources from alfa doom versions

In some old alfa doom versions there are cool thing like unholy bibles, swords, etc ect... do you think this material could be used for a doom add-on?
Lorenzo

Xaechireon said:

I think you've either leaving something out or made a retarded thread.

Elitist.

I asked a couple of times and they said yes, I can use that stuff in my TCs. I'd still go as far to ask a mod(erator), because they know well.

Wouldn't using Alpha resources be like using Release resources or modification of them thereof?

I never understood the legalities of this: e.g. most "new" monster sprites are just modification of iD ones, usually only a few sprites, so the question is whether original id resources (except from maps) can be used in PWADs, and if yes, to what extent.

E.g. many people include E1 sky in Doom II maps, Doom 1 music in Doom II etc. so I guess the Alpha resources fall in the same category.

Wouldn't recolouring, remixing and resampling be enough to be original?

Legally no... but i believe (and only beleive) ID had said they didnt mind texture and monster recolours and other minor edits to be used in a limited amount in pwads (though no taking the piss, like slightly recolouring all the graphics and adding a bit of echo to all the sounds and releasing them all as a virtual complete new iwad)

Sadly, this has been done in several forms, and you can virtually reconstruct all sprites of Doom or Doom2 if you just combine the correct PWADs together.

Some PWADs with sprite replacements even outright include all Doom sprites in order to be "directly usable" with vanilla doom without IWAD merging.

Maes's footer says:
Player was brutally pumped full of a shotgun sergeant's hot, manly lead.

I've been wondering. Was it you who created that obituary in Mock2?

doom2day said:

I've been wondering. Was it you who created that obituary in Mock2?

Sadly no, but I'd enjoy the opportunity to create something similar ;-) You should see my most kickass obituary thread for more cool obituaries :-p