Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pritch

Who's the best nemesis in Doom?

As a newbie, but a seasoned veteran of the game, I'd be interested in hearing what people's favourite bad guy in Doom is. Please don't all say Cyberdemon, he's way too boring surely. Besides, a spider demon can rip him at close range:>
For me, nothing beats a Baron of Hell. I remmber back in '94 nearly soling myslef that first time in Phobos Anomaly...

The Spectre maybe...
Swift, silent and surprising.

The Arch-Vile is a good Motherf***** too...

He's a forum newbie, give him a break.

I like the Spider Mastermind.

The only enemy that strikes the fear of God in me is the Revenant with his speed and damn guided rockets.

Heh, the eternal question again.

Well, how about: all monsters are good. They can be equally good or bad depending on the environment. For example, a couple of Spectres in a dark labyrinth, or a Spider Mastermind in a courtyard. If the Spiderdemon is in a labyrinth and Spectres in a courtyard, that's kinda stupid. So you can't really judge monsters without their environment.

Of course, the Pain Elementals are always a pain :)

Heh, the eternal question again.

Well, how about: all monsters are good. They can be equally good or bad depending on the environment. For example, a couple of Spectres in a dark labyrinth, or a Spider Mastermind in a courtyard. If the Spiderdemon is in a labyrinth and Spectres in a courtyard, that's kinda stupid. So you can't really judge monsters without their environment.

Of course, the Pain Elementals are always a pain :)

100% true. The only enemy I think belong in almost all situations I can think of is the revenant, best enemy in any fps I'd say. Low/Moderate hp, dangerous attack from all distances, high speed.

i agree with what Lament said.but if i have to choose one,my vote will be baron of hell.it was the first nightmare in DOOM for me.at that time i still don't know how to strafe yet.

thanx for the response guys, sorry if I should have put this elsewhere, like I said, I'm new here.
I appreciate why people choose Revenant... hey, was that 80% of my health you just wiped off? I guess that's why they gave em just 30 hit points....

I'm not too scared from Revenants, but Arch-Viles still scare the crap outta me. Whenever i hear one of those...noises (i don't know what to call that noise, a warble?) i tend to look for walls. Aside from that, the Baron.

I would say it's a tie between the Revenant and the Arch-Vile. One of the biggest horrors I faced was a level with nearly 20 Revenants in the Tei Tenga wad. That took a few tries to get through. Arch-Viles aren't to friendly on their own, but when they really get bad is when they start ressurecting enemies... just imagine how bad it would be if they were able to raise Pain Elementals... *cringes*

Anyway, I would have to say my favorite enemy would be the Mancubus, though his attacks are easy to avoid. I don't know... I think seeing a Mancubus staring at you from the end of a hallway would be more frightening than seeing a Revenant any day. The Mancubus just seems so much more impenetrable- like a moving wall.

It would be a cross between the archviles and nightmare imps.

Archviles are just damn powerful and can take you out fast if your not careful,ususally I manage to avoid there fire attacks, but they can also raise the dead undoing all your hard work.

In Doom 64, the nightmare imps are annoying when theres a large number of them and your low on health.There fireballs are faster then a regular imp fireball.Hell I think the most fragging nemesis the mother demon, with those homing projectiles.

food for thought...
how about the Arch-Vile bug? Do ghost monsters count? Sorry, Elip. but Mancubuses don't scare me, all I see is a fat slob who couldn't be arsed to tone himself like a Baron so got himself some flame-launching arms. Plus, he's one of those who can be chainlocked, my way of describing montsers who, when being hit by the chaingun, keep feeling pain and can't fight back (Caco, Reve, Pain, arach., Demon). Revenant is shit-scary because he is hard to chainlock unless you're next to him, and by the time you've selected the bloody gun he's punched the shit out of you!
Anyway, I originally just asked who people's FAVORITE was, not who owned, but the little things like the revenant dancing, the baron looking pissed off, the demon running round like a headless chicken, that endear certain creatures to folks...

Actually, when I meant frightening I meant if I were to see either in real life. I would say that only spectres in a dark room would be frightening to me (in game) at this point.

in real life I'd be scared if a trooper was lurking around outside my house... :)
I guess I'm no Billy J, Keen, Doom guy, Duke, Shadow warrior, Lara Croft etc.
Did I mention Lara Croft? Sorry, I promise to beat myself profusely before bed.
Anyway, a mancubus in real life would have me emptying my bowels.. mostly cos my house wouldn't be impregnable to damage unlike my doom pwad of it...! :>

My personal fave would have to be the Baron of Hell or Hell Knight. Nothing like heading down a darkened corridor and that familiar bellow (or scream, depending on whether it's a Baron or Knight).
After that would be the Demon. Simply Hellish.

I personally like Bulldog demons best ^_^ they have a good design, look nifty and can be dangerous if you're poorly armed. And it's a wussy shade of pink. Needs all the help it can get -_-

Barons and Hell Knights are cool too ^_^ I just like my lesser-demons, too.... and the pretty cacodemons... and the pain elementals with their pretty ember eyes....

I don't know why, but I love the monster designs in DOOM.... but this is me speaking, so nobeing expects it to make much sense.....

I think a fleshies growl managed to scare me more than any other monster.

I personally like Bulldog demons best ^_^ they have a good design, look nifty and can be dangerous if you're poorly armed. And it's a wussy shade of pink. Needs all the help it can get -_-

Why the fuck are they called "bulldemons" or "bulldog demons"? I mean the only thing they really look like is a pig, and they also make pig sounds.

Why the fuck are they called "bulldemons" or "bulldog demons"? I mean the only thing they really look like is a pig, and they also make pig sounds.

But the imp also makes pig sounds...I used to call them warthog-guys because of it...

Demon was always a bit of a lacklustre name for those creatures, esp. as you could call everything else demon generically. After I read Ab Hugh and Lineweavers Doom novels I always called 'em pinkies.
They make me laugh when they're after a Rev or something and they're not fast enough to eat him, or a Caco which is too high, poor bastards...:)