Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YMB

HR2 in jDOOM?

I've been having issues loading up the Hell Revealed 2 megawad in jDOOM (with the 3D model set on). I go through the menu, then MAP01 loads for about 3 seconds, then Vista tells me "Doomsday.exe has stopped working..." I don't think it's a Windows issue, jDoom runs fine otherwise... is there a compatibility issue with the PWAD?

Odd. I've got no Veesta, but HR2 ran fine on JDoom. I don't have it now, so don't expect more help.

Do I really need to expand?

Doomsday may be a buggy port, but it's the only one I know of with a 3D model package. Now that I've seen the 3D models, I'll never go back to sprites.

yomoneyboat said:

Now that I've seen the 3D models, I'll never go back to sprites.

You fail at Doom and are a disgrace to your family.

yomoneyboat said:

Doomsday may be a buggy port, but it's the only one I know of with a 3D model package.

Try http://www.vavoom-engine.com/
download all the models etc. in the download section, install them.... Good luck!

Greetings
Funduke

yomoneyboat said:

Doomsday may be a buggy port, but it's the only one I know of with a 3D model package. Now that I've seen the 3D models, I'll never go back to sprites.

Have you got the latest Doomsday/JDoom version?

Exactly what is buggy about Doomsday? If you are using a beta version then obviously you should expect there to be some issues.

Most people use 1.8.6 for every day play and 1.9.0-beta5.1 to experiment with the new stuff currently in development.

I had a feeling there would be a divide around here between sprite purists and 3D model-people... and yeah, I had the beta on, so I'll just reinstall with the last stable release.

yomoneyboat said:
I had a feeling there would be a divide around here between sprite purists and 3D model-people

There's a divide for nearly anything that's variable, really (even crates and ENDOOM renderings). I don't use models, personally, but I really don't see a need to practically flame people who use them. It's not like if they use them, for whatever reason, my dick will get smaller or God will never forgive me.

I feel Doomsday is much, much, much more useful for Heretic than it's for Doom. Models look better and take up less memory to run, there are less flashes, the monsters indeed look tough not dumb (unlike JDoom), and the features used by default in Doomsday already appear in Heretic (looking, z-clipping, true-solid decoration).

I've been trying to get the jHeretic 3D to work, but I can't. Do I need to extract each individual pk3 from the single pk3? And should it really be only 6mb or so?

What I did was download the model and high quality texture packs, and extract them as directed in the instruction files.

Models look better and take up less memory to run

Not wishing to appear rude, but how do you know? In actuality, the opposite is true. The jHeretic models take up a lot more system resources because they are more complex and whilst that does not necessarily make them look "better"; it is the reason in this case. The bulk of the existing jDoom models were made by Team SOG years ago for an ill-fated Quake TC and as a result, were optimized for the Quake engine. Doomsday is capable of rendering far higher quality models than those (as the jHeretic/jHexen models show).

Unfortunately, those in the community who want to use models arn't those with both the time and the skill needed to create them.

the features used by default in Doomsday already appear in Heretic

You don't know what you are talking about, sorry.

I've been trying to get the jHeretic 3D to work, but I can't. Do I need to extract each individual pk3 from the single pk3? And should it really be only 6mb or so?

No, you shouldn't need to extract them, that defeats the point of packing them into a PK3. If you are having any problems, I suggest you post about them at the Doomsday forums: http://forums.newdoom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57

About the features already in Doomsday and Heretic - old story. You know: z-clipping, looking. Now I don't have Doomsday (I'm working on an old computer now) but I'm sure, as you have said pretty damn much, that they can be fixed.

As for the Heretic models, they might be more complicated, but they use less special effects, in effect letting the game run smoother on an average modern computer (I think). That's what I've experienced myself, really.

Nothing bad about Doomsday was said in my earlier post.

"Now that I've seen the 3D models, I'll never go back to sprites."

i remember telling myself that same thing when using zdoomgl and models first released,
but after a little while i couldn't stand how the models looked and animated.
you'll probably realize eventually that the doom sprites look a lot better than the doom models.
high-res textures can be nice though...
but, really, nothing looks better to me than deus vult and suspended in dusk running at high resolution.

I will admit the death animations are corrrny. I'm sure it's "just a phase," I'll switch from models to sprites at least 40 times before sticking to one.

But I'll never give up dynamic lighting!!!

yomoneyboat said:

But I'll never give up dynamic lighting!!!

That isnt Jdoom specific either.

If I wanted high quality graphics, models and dynamic lighting, together with high quality sounds, I'd play Doom 3, just to give it some credit too.

So I suppose you only ever play DOOM using a vanila DOOM.EXE in DOSBox then? Heck, I bet that doesn't cut it huh? You must have a dedicated 386 setup just to play DOOM :P As pretty much any additional feature must surely be pointless given that it must have already been implemented in another game.

If you think that the only features Doomsday brings to the table are z-clipping and looking (two pretty trivial things in a 3D renderer, but then you know that of course) you are very much mistaken.

I'll never understand why it is some people seem to feel the need to ram their opinions, down other's throats.

We get the message, you don't like it. Get over it.

DaniJ said:

We get the message, you don't like it. Get over it.

I LIKE JHERETIC. MAYBE JHEXEN TOO.

You must have a dedicated 386 setup just to play DOOM

heh,actually,_I_ myself have just set up my mom's old 486 to play vanilla doom :D

Ha, I actually keep my 486 set up to play DOS games, but the newest DOSBox is so damn good, it's almost not necessary anymore.