Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bullet-time

Reloading and New Enemies

Hi guys,
I have 2 questions about modding:
1.) How can I add a reloading sequence to weapons?
2.) How can I create new enemies?

I am a pretty new modder, so please keep your answer simple ;).

PS: Sorry if I did anything wrong here, this is my first post...

To do those you need to use Zdoom (DECORATE) or EDGE (DDF). And maybe Eternity (EDF) or Vavoom (something), but the first two are the "main" ones for new enemy and reloading guns mods. You can't "do" reloading and new enemies (easily) in Dehacked. Anyway, choose your port and then head to it's respective site and read the editing docs (Zdoom currently has the most "complete" ones)

Well, if you just want to change the appearance of enemies, use DMGRAPH. It's a command-line program, so there's quite a bit of typing.

I know about DECORATE and EDF. DECORATE is much faster to write, but EDF is a bit more powerful, and still understandable - it's mainly an extensible Dehacked-like format. EDF allows a bit more thing state scripting than what I experienced with DECORATE.

How to use DECORATE

Open a text file and check this guide, then make what you're planning. Save it as DECORATE.whatever and, by using XWE or another wad lump manager, import it into your wad, as a DECORATE lump (should be so by default in XWE if you called it DECORATE.whatever).

How to use EDF

Create a new file. Save it as EDFROOT.edf. Write stdinclude("root.edf"). Check this guide and add whatever EDF blocks you wish. Also check this: http://www.doomworld.com/eternity/engine/edf1.txt and more to come (look here). Once you finish EDFROOT.EDF, import it into your wad (by using XWE or another wad lump manager) as EDFROOT. Should work now. I doubt ZDoom's DECORATE can do what that tutorial has shown (maybe I'm wrong).

How to import graphics and sounds

Use XWE or another wad manager, not DmGraph, because DmGraph only supports GIFs and PPMs, overgrows the lump count, and on this rather scrappy computer I use right now, causes crashes.
Same for sounds, except that DmAud supports many formats (not MP* though).

Wow edit

If you're making a mod for Doom 1, you can make a few all new monsters. Make sprites as they show here, by replacing with Dehacked the Doom 2 sprites. With Doom 1 1.666 and above, there are many unused frames, free for modding. Give the new monsters an ID# different than anything used exclusively by Doom 2, or your new thing won't appear in any map loaded on Doom.wad. The monster I tried to make appear in Torm's beastiary but failed was first made for vanilla Doom, and was all-new, together with a homing skull shooting red imp, an evil kamikaze barrel, and barrels with no friction with the universe, which boom on impact.

Are there unused frames? Could someone direct/give me a list of those, because that would be mighty useful.

Thanks you guys, I will try these ways.

And another question: Why should I use WinTex? XWE seems to work as well and is much easier.

Wintex gets awkward when you edit text entries (like DECORATE), when you put in a new text entry with the same name as the old one, or edit one, it copies the new one, but doesnt show you it's done it. So you have to exit the wad and open it again, and you'll see two entries with the same name (for reference, the bottom one is the "old" one). That gets annoying when you only want to make minor edits to a weapon and have to open and close the wad to delete the 'copied' entry (for some reason, just to be even more annoying, engines seem to run the older one). However some people prefer it's interface in general... like me.