Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

Does New Doom ban Doomworld users?

I recently tried to register myself at the New Doom forums, but I was permabanned while waiting for a moderator to activate my account. Since I never actually got to post anything there, I'm left to wonder if New Doom simply bans Doomworld forums members (IIRC, they used to do that all the time at one point). Am I correct with this assumption, or could there be some other reason for me being banned this way? Have any of you had similiar experiences with New Doom?

Does it say "Banned" anywhere there? Cuz if not, it could be just out of order. Maybe you're banned and it's still out of order. Ask the newdoom administrators. What? Are they setting up a new Order?

When I try to access the forums it says "You have been banned for the following reason: None" and "Date the ban will be lifted: Never".

One day I was Banned from the ZDoom forums for 30 mins... and I don't even have an account there.

Phoebus/Wmull will ban you if he thinks you associate with his 'rivals' (i.e. anything not ran by MindlessGames) in any way whatsoever, and he'll do it with extreme prejudice, including banning your work IPs and such

NewDoom's fine, wmull isn't, he's a wacko that threatened to sue me over a forum joke once, and he sued ravengames.com for registering a week before his similarily named, hyphenated domain

Well no problems here and I visit newdoom just as much as I do visit doomworld, I had no problems registering over there.

I lost my hosted newdoom site after wmull found out that I was moderating the doom3 forums at DW. That pretty much explains itself.

wmull breaks into the houses of doomworld forum members and sucks the small hairless babycunts of your children!

A long time ago there was some kind of stupid, but friendly(ish) rivalry between Newdoom and Doomworld (someone once posted pictures they had taken around a derelict building and posted them as "a tour of Doomworld"). Then the "war" was pretty much forgotten except in the mind of the owner of Newdoom, who then decided to enact this rather random seeming (as some people are members of both sites and havent had any trouble) mass-ban.

Oh and also after Daniel(remember him?)'s "Female Doom" got a bad review he decided to try and single-handedly revive the war by making a post somewhere (dunno if it was here or Zdoom) that was endless "NEWDOOM RULES!!! DOOMWORLD SUX!!". Also in Neodoom several secrets that give you weapons have anti-doomworld or /newstuff reviewer messages. All this because he took a review of rather disturbing wad extremely personally and began accusing Doomworld of persuing a "vendetta" against him which never actually existed, until he bought it on himself with his wild accusations.

ANYWAY, I seem to remember talk of the mass bans going on at the time, but most threads about it got sent to hell with a post like "lol teh internetz is serius bizness", which is where i expect this one to end up. Rather than being filled with endless ridicule and piss-taking of such overreacting morons. Like they deserve.

There was that whole New Doom hacking incident (as recounted in Doomworld Forums 3).

Take it as a warning that if you should try anything funny (like visit doomworld) that they will be on you like that. That's creepy.

Meh - I only visit newdoom because that is where Legacy is hosted, but I have never been banned because I come here.

Im pretty certain Ichor was banned without reason.

Ah jeez, he's pulling that shit again? I thought after the hacking incident where DW admins helped him track down the hacker(s) and he lifted most of the DW bans (mostly because the database was deleted) that he stopped this. Guess not.

In the case of Ichor, he was rebanned a few weeks after the hacking incident.

Okay, it indeed seems I've now become unbanned at the New Doom forums again. Thanks to Doom Dude or whoever finally undid the ban, it's good to see there are at least some friendly moderators at the ND forums.

In my case, once Phoebus (or Dumpster as I believe he was once called) found out I was involved with ravengames, I was banned from raven-games and a rather large thread of mine was deleted, and newdoom as well, despite never even visiting that site. Up until the hacking, I was ip banned from newdoom.

doom2day said:

Take it as a warning that if you should try anything funny (like visit doomworld) that they will be on you like that. That's creepy.

that's all i need, some guy that i don't even know stalking me via internet. i think i'll stay here.

the only reason i ever went to newdoom forums was to download doom legacy. otherwise i have no need to be part of multiple forums all dealing with the same topic

Some guy once came to me who claimed to be his cousin or something and started talking (ICQ). And eventually he said that Wmull claimed me and a group of people had tried to put him out of business. Only thing even remotely close to that that I could think of however was that I and some others had suggested/asked Hurdler (lead coder of Legacy at the time) to move Legacy from newdoom to DW.

Ichor said:

Up until the hacking, I was ip banned from newdoom.

Rofl. You're, like, the least controversial figure here.

Scuba Steve said:

Rofl. You're, like, the least controversial figure here.

Here maybe, but wmull's issues with Ramborc (owner of ravengames up until fairly recently) go back a looooong time.

I remember I got threatened with a ban once because I posted a link to Elbryan's site. It had forums that were partially Doom related and I guess he perceived it as a threat. Sent me a threatening email saying I shouldn't do that again or there would be consequences. Weirded me out. That was the last time I ever actively posted there.

I've been on the New Doom forums since 2005, Grazza posts there semi-regularly, Dutch Devil is a regular... So, no, New Doom doesn't "automatically" ban Doomworld users. Can't speak on anyone else's behalf, obviously, but I've never been treated unfairly just because I'm also at DW.

*shrug*

I have been over there for 5 or 6 years and have never had any issue. I am not very active there. Mostly I just visit and occasionally announce a new map, but no problems for me. I see a fair number of the regulars from here over there. Also apparently without issue.

My DW>ND account works just fine over there.

I've got an account over there, but never posted. Just like Shadow Dweller said, I dont really need to forums about the same topic.

Back in the day, I used to run a circuit between Doomworld, New Doom, and Doomcenter. That was back when I had no job and basically just posted on forums all day for fun. That's how I got my postcount.

I probably deserved my ban at newdoom, I was actually trying to get myself banned at the time and knew which buttons to press. I pretended to get all offended when someone wished everyone a happy easter, ramming their religious beliefs down my throat etc.

I was trying to get banned because at the time Phoebus was behaving in a really paranoid manner, deleting threads all over the place, banning popular regulars like melfice, picklehammer, mr chris etc

My girlfriend, a person who is mild mannered, shy and the sweetest, kindest soul on the planet was banned for absolutely no reason at all.
She is trying to persuade me to make a 'new' newdoom and teach that nutter a lesson but with doomworld still here I dont see the point of that.

The moderators over at newdoom are not a problem, mostly, Planky, Doom_Dude, hurdler and Rellik are deservedly well liked and respected by all who know them.

I suspect a few bans were because a certain female moderator (goldeyes) cant stand not being the center of attention so any males who look like they prefer the other female members (like jenblaze) find themselves banned. Im sure phoebus fancies goldeyes and she uses that power of attraction to get folk banned.

I know she really hated me for bringing jenblaze to the doom community and because I tend not to hide whats on my mind. Am I the only one who thinks goldeyes and her 'partner' look more like brother and sister than husband and wife???

heh its getting like a tv soap opera.

Maybe the hacking incident took its toll on phoebus and turned him into a paranoid prick.

He must have good spies because I have changed address and ISP twice since then and still cant join newdoom again, I have no idea how he knows its me.

no, I dont think phoebus would ban anyone just for visiting doomworld, there is actually a rule on newdoom to stop any flaming against doomworld.