Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bingbing

Oblige v0.94 Released

I posted this over at NewDoom already, and I figured you guys might like it too.

I was playing around with the Oblige theme definition stuff today and came up with a pretty decent configuration for the doom2 starport theme.

Basically what I tried to do with this was simplify the theme as much as possible, using only a small set of textures, all of which would look relatively good adjacent to each other. It includes brick8, metal2, bronze1, brown96, browngrn, zimmer1, brick10, tekgren2, stone4, stone6, bigbrik1, and bigbrik2.

I've also changed the switch puzzles so that all of them use barred doorways instead of the rather ugly (sorry Ajapted ) setup where it puts sp_hot or whatever texture matches the switch on the walls next to the door that the switch controls.

UPDATE: Keycards now work! Thanks for the hint, Ajapted. I also changed the key door prefab so that it doesn't put huge key lights on the walls next to the door, too, only inside the frame.

UPDATE: Added a whole bunch of new wall prefabs, for computers, tekwall stuff, pipes, etc.

Without further adieu, essel's doom2 starport/brick theme definitions:

http://sl4.dmclub.org/wasd/d2scripts.zip

To use, make a backup copy of the Scripts folder that comes with Oblige, unzip this folder and put it in the original one's place, and set your game mode to Doom II.

To uninstall, just delete or rename the new Scripts folder, and put your backup copy of the original Scripts folder in its place.

You should be able to use it without breaking Doom I compatibility, but please note that only the Doom I themes will be modified.

This is exactly why programs like this are cool. I wouldn't mind trying to figure out how the Lua themes work some day, too. :D

Boy, when they say improved Hexen support, they mean it! Comparing a v0.85 map with a v0.94 map is amazing.

I'd love to see somebody do a joke Plutonia theme that spawns, like, 50 chaingunners, pain elementals, archviles and revenants into a map. >:)

With just a little work, many oblige-based maps become better than 75 percent of all user created wads. Good thing they'll never be allowed in the archive :)

Glad the prefab system is in place. Some of the rooms and scenarios that this thing can create are pretty amazing for a computer-generated program.

I'd love to see a port like ZDoom/GZDoom add in-game support for random maps (like RanDoom did with DosDoom). It would be like Nethack Doom!

There's a problem with your scripts Essel. When you need to go through a red key door, it gives you a blue key... and when you need to go through a blue key door... it gives you a red key. It makes most levels that are generated impossible to complete without using idclip.

Aabra said:

There's a problem with your scripts Essel. When you need to go through a red key door, it gives you a blue key... and when you need to go through a blue key door... it gives you a red key. It makes most levels that are generated impossible to complete without using idclip.

Oh, shoot. My mistake. I'll fix that now. :p

EDIT: Fixed, and reuploaded to the same URL as before.

I've also noticed a bug where it stops and gives an error around the 45% mark if I tell it to make a full doom 2 megawad, though. I didn't check into whether it does that with the unmodified scripts, or whether it's my fault, but it's probably mine. :(

Bloodshedder said:

Does the quality of Oblige maps meet or exceed that of Sandy Petersen's maps?

yes. :D

I love this piece of software! If you chose a random level from the idgames archives, chances are it would be worse than one of these random generated maps. Hell in my opinion the game-play is better than a certain high-profile release this year.....

Phil1984 said:

I love this piece of software! If you chose a random level from the idgames archives, chances are it would be worse than one of these random generated maps. Hell in my opinion the game-play is better than a certain high-profile release this year.....

Strewth! Why do certain schmucks (and I'm not talking about you specifically only) always feel the need to rag on kzizd? No matter what you think of it and whether you love it, hate it or just consider it another WAD that deserves a fair look, nobody CARES. (Unless you're a t/nc reviewer, in which case it's your job to review it, obviously, or unless you're posting in a thread that's specifically about kdizd or at least about posting your opinion about random WADs in general.)

It's getting old, it really is. Yeah, certain people hate kdizd - we all got that by now. And others love it - we got that, too.

There was already someone above who complained about the release of Oblige as such, and I'd like to say the same thing to you (with regard to kdizd) that I've said to him. Don't like it? Then don't use/play it! It's really as simple as that. Nobody's forcing you to, and we'd all be he happ(y|ier) if people like you would stop forcing their opinion on others in random threads where nobody gives a darn about your potshots.

Just my two cents. :P

While we're at it, read Schneelocke's post again, and instead of reading KDIZD, read Doom3. KTNXBAI

esselfortium said:

I've also noticed a bug where it stops and gives an error around the 45% mark if I tell it to make a full doom 2 megawad, though. I didn't check into whether it does that with the unmodified scripts, or whether it's my fault, but it's probably mine. :(

It seems to do that with the default theme set, too, as I tried to generate a megawad and it pooped out with an error. Something to do with stairs if I remember it right.

On the topic of themes, there really needs to be better commenting in the Lua code. I can read the syntax, but the code is kind of a mess. Better documentation and a tutorial on themes for version 1.0 wouldn't be shabby, either. :D

Snarboo said:

On the topic of themes, there really needs to be better commenting in the Lua code. I can read the syntax, but the code is kind of a mess. Better documentation and a tutorial on themes for version 1.0 wouldn't be shabby, either. :D

The code will be cleaned up once all the algorithms have settle down. It's like one big experiment now. I plan to make "modding" easier as soon as I can (there are big changes in the pipeline, so frankly it may be a while).