Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
logidoom

Looking for Pacifist DOOM videos

some years ago, I remember seeing some videos of someone doing a pacifist e1m8, e2m8, and e3m8 (doom 1)... just beating down the enemies with their barefist and letting the enemies mow each other down, never firing a shot...

anyone know where to find these? Youtube?

There are two different types of recordings that more or less fit your description. Pacifist recordings where the Player can't hurt the enemies (except through unintentional telefrags or indirectly by guiding them into crushers and such) and Tyson recordings, where the Player can hurt them but must stick to weapons 1 (fist or Chainsaw) and 2 (Pistol).

You can find many of these recordings (on DOOM's and DOOM II's original levels) at COMPET-N. Check the UV Pacifist and UV Tyson database sections of the corresponding games to get the recordings (demos). To watch these on a modern system you can use Chocolate Doom or PrBoom.

The Pacifist and Tyson demos are per level (not the whole game in one shot).

I don't think these are on YouTube (haven't seen any there or at any similar place), though there might be a couple.

many thanks... I will take a peek at these...

So, lets say I wanted to record what I'm watching on screen... what would I use while these are playing?

if you mean recording your own, try FRAPS or Camstudio, or perhaps using the built in "record" functions of many ports?

Some people use Fraps for that, using GLBoom (the OpenGL variant that comes in the PrBoom ZIP). There are some DOOM and DOOM II AVIs of that sort at the Speed Demos Archive (except they are standard speed runs).

I wonder, it probably shouldn't be hard to hack the engine to have native AVI exporting functions (you won't have silly slowdown/framerate/audio-desync issues that you might get with screen-capture solutions). In fact, I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already done it. :/

ahhh... gotcha... but like what the above post says... there's no source mod that allows AVI/mpg capture?

you'd have to use a 3rd part tool like FRAPS?

MikeRS said:

I wonder, it probably shouldn't be hard to hack the engine to have native AVI exporting functions (you won't have silly slowdown/framerate/audio-desync issues that you might get with screen-capture solutions). In fact, I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already done it. :/

IIRC someone did. Didn't entryway put some sort of AVI export into one of his ports?

Sort of; some versions had screen capturing, where you could set per how many tics it dumped screen shots, but it was only preliminary stuff, since it didn't do anything more. As far as I know, the code that did that has been either removed or disabled. AVI exporting would certainly be a nice feature, though.

Ahhh... now comes the time were I pucker up and start sucking...

because I'm really not that great... and I'd get hosed very easy if I even attemepted a pacifist speedrun on the Cyberdemon...

Anyone out there kind enough to record a fist-only beatdown of the Cyberdemon and post it on youtube...

at the very least, you'd get resepct :)

To play back a demo type one of these (depending on the demos linked below) in the command prompt from the directory the game and the demo are in (or write a batch file with the corresponding line written in in and put it in the game folder, to double click):

chocolate-doom -iwad doom -playdemo t2m82810

chocolate-doom -playdemo ty32-108

The Ultimate DOOM E2M8 Tyson demo (a bit of pistoling and then a lot of punching).

DOOM II Map32 Tyson demo (quick and brutal powered punching with the berserk pack).