Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vegeta

Is there any Zdoom version of Aliens Tc

Hey,
I'd like to start an Aliens tc survival server with a friend, I think using "-fast" it could be fun. Is there any version that groups all the files into a single wad. I heard there was a version that fixed some bugs, anybody know where to find it?

Edit: Shit, wrong title, it doesn't need to be Zdoom only.

Perhaps; I was wondering where that had gone. It might be of use to him for Cooperative (if the one time switch changed there is critical), but especially because the ZDoom engines don't have an option to treat bosses like DOOM does (as opposed to The Ultimate DOOM), at least from what I can tell (using the wiki and cvarlist). ZDoom should incorporate a compat_doom19 cvar so that the original Aliens TC, UAC_Dead, and other wads made for DOOM that use bosses at the last levels (8) work as intended. Curiously, xeno, the guy who did the old version for The Ultimate DOOM, didn't even address this difference.

EDIT: Hmm, the latest official release of the TC does address the boss handling difference, and was made before xeno's version (and one wonders why the latter is in the archive, if it's broken and the authors provided a proper one; it just creates confusion).

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=3269
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=3268

I gather Quasar didn't host or upload his version anywhere relevant because someone pointed out the authors had indeed updated the TC for The Ultimate DOOM, as well as copyright reasons, since (as far as I can tell) there is no mention of allowing modification in the TC's documentation.

It's seems reasonable to use the one from the two links on this post (even if it's not in just one package).

My update was to solve problems with BOOM-based source ports, not strictly to function with Ultimate Doom, though I also fixed that at the same time.

The file was hosted by my friend locust because he was the first to volunteer some hosting. And you are right it is not on /idgames because I didn't have explicit permission, and because the policy at the time would have required the original Aliens TC to be deleted in order for my version to be uploaded, which is obviously a ridiculous suggestion.

Someone did email Justin Fisher about my update project, and he said it was a good idea. So it's not as if I did something wrong.

I emailed Ty to see whether he wants to remove the one by xeno because it's redundant, buggy, possibly not done with permission (there is no indication or explicitation), and does not include proper documentation.

Speaking of Aliens TC, I've always found it intresting/peculiar, that Justin didn't include the Flamethrower in it, and instead made the BFG unusable thrugh DEH hacking.

I have come to believe that he was under the impression that you couldn't steal monster frames to use as weapon frames, which you indeed can as long as you get rid of any monster-only codepointers they happen to use. I think that since he had to steal some of the BFG frames to complete the Cargo Loader, he thought that the BFG needed to be sacrificed entirely. Unfortunate IMO.

I have over the years toyed with creating a further-enhanced version of Aliens TC specifically for Eternity :P I wonder if such a project would find any support?