Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jplstatic

I'm wanting to start a team.

I have three novels with multiple endings... I want to port something into jdoom. I have cds and cds of music i want to use for the soundtrack (all original + more coming) and I want to create a top secret little website with message board forum for a group of people that want to take on some levels loosely based from the descriptions/story and see what we can come up with.

the game is called visions.
it has a complex story i will summarize the best i can without it tunneling out more and more.

jplstatic, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Also, you aren't allowed to use copyrighted music in levels, they will be rejected from the idgames archive if you do.

lupinx-Kassman said:

jplstatic, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

lol I was going to ask where that post actually originated from and where everybody copied it from.

But upon hitting the quote button I find its a bbcode thing?

lol I learn somtm new everyday *rolleye*

Hey lupinx, you could have read the part where he said the music was all original.

So jplsatatic, are you just contributing the story and you need mappers, or do you have some experience mapping, or what? Be more specific.

yeah, i'm in the same boat.
i am a writer and a musician and want to turn one of my horror short stories into a .wad.

instead of asking for help immediately, i decided to get done what i could get done:
the game script
the music
the sfx
and as much mapping as i could possibly get done.

afterwards, i will ask for help with scripting, etc.
you might want to go in this same direction.

If you want to start a team, spend at least 2-3 years in the community making worthwhile, intelligent contributions on forums, run a good website and make several brilliant maps. Then ask.

deathbringer said:

If you want to start a team, spend at least 2-3 years in the community making worthwhile, intelligent contributions on forums, run a good website and make several brilliant maps. Then ask.

Well no thats just if he wants help from the top-class wad makers like you, average-people like me could be interested (but then you'd get an average wad - depends on how fussy you are on things like detail etc. plus I got too much on my plate at the moment so yeah good luck!)

If people are going to join your team they will want to know something about your background like your all-ready done wads so that they can see what to expect from your mapping. Why not post a link to the achives were people can see your work or something:)

You can always go to a user's profile and click on the link to his posts, to see if he's been up to something in the past.

alexz721 said:
Hey lupinx, you could have read the part where he said the music was all original.

Not to mention he has posted some of his music to download on previous threads. He's also released at least one wad (which was really weird and sometimes pretty annoying, but at least showed a creative emphasis).

so if I was to ask folk to join a team to make a megawad using a mix of egyptian, tech and urban themes that would be ok ? because I can supply loads of textures and some maps. its a tempting idea, I meant to make such a megawad myself but 32 maps is a lot to make on my own especially if I want them all to be good. some would say even one map is a lot for me to make on my own, judged on my past releases but to be honest they were nearly all just test beds for the textures I was making.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Also, you aren't allowed to use copyrighted music in levels, they will be rejected from the idgames archive if you do.

I guess it didn't quote the first part but.. I'll gather all of the stuff I have so far and create a website. I have a friend making character sketches. As for if its possible to find a 3d model designer that'd actually do this

uhh... i think i said the music was original. its ok i tend to overlook things on the net too, thats why my girlfriend randomly picks fights with me.

hmm... i think thats it.
i'm going to deny any past versions of this because i got kicked off of doomworld because they sucked so bad lol. but i wasn't really trying to make anything serious back then it was all me being an asshole. this time i'm going to be an asshole with the plot, but it'll actually be a bit mind-boggling i'm hoping. m night shylaman but not as boring and drawn out.

if you guys want, since i originally wrote this plot in about 2002 based on a doom wad i was wanting to do before, i can make overall map descriptions and anyone can add any random stuff they want.

i made all of the music myself and have over 300 original tracks

lets see what else... let me read all of this. i didn't expect 12 replies lol.

THANK YOU MYK YOU ARE THE MAN! I think i remember your name for when everyone crucified me for nightmares of loki lmao. all of that stuff i made for fun when i was a teenager and i was out riding bikes and playing guitar and stuff on the side, but now i want to see if anyone's interested in something i thought up but tried and can't possibly do all by myself.

but as for perfecting it i did want something huge and overdone but then i went to game design college and
i want people that really just want to do it and would have fun doing it and not consider it work. since my 10 gig server is supercool and doesn't have php i'll either start a thread on here, use this one, or find a php host somewhere with crappy banners to stick up agora forums or something.

also i went to game design and graduated with highest honors but.... sadly only stayed two years because there were way too many conflicting personalities that wanted to weed everyone out instead of working together.

people hound me. i'm a superfast typer and i have countless time here at night working hotel night audit to get shit done. i need people hounding me.

so is my first goal to put all of my music up for criticism?

then... find the latest version of my plot? - sadly i'll have to rewrite the ending... but yeah i'm using doomsday because i can have plots after each level. i MAY even think up a 6 wad one-for-each-chapter idea.

sadly it was rewritten for a future engine unknown, one that i could build vehicles for, you know, before i realized i wasn't megaman.

i was just voicing i guess that i was wondering if there was anyone wanting to do this :P but yeah you guys are right. i'll get about 7 level descriptions up. i'm no good with textures so i was needing help with people pulling off some good 3D

jplstatic said:

but yeah i'm using doomsday because i can have plots after each level.

At least ZDoom and (some of) its derivatives support that too.

hmm... haven't really tried those. zdoom i know does a lot of in-level scripting too which would be really nice

anyone know of a port that allows linedefs to trigger certain sounds you've added in, or music changes mid-level yet?

jplstatic said:

anyone know of a port that allows linedefs to trigger certain sounds you've added in, or music changes mid-level yet?

That is also something any major port supports, Dday, Zdoom etc

i've just moved in to my new apartment and i'm setting up my server so i will most likely have something up within a week i'm hoping

If you want to LEAD, you don't start talking and trying to convince everyone to FOLLOW. You do what leaders do - you do things FIRST. FIRST, start making your project. FIRST, get down to work, and showcase some of your stuff. If what you are making is promising, you will get help, no question. People will gravitate toward it.

So lead your own project. No point convincing everyone to help you, anyway, if the project hasn't even begun and ends up going nowhere. Take it somewhere FIRST, then let others decide to take part.