Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Started on Episode 2 for ultimate doom, need feedback.

I have started work on episode 2: beyond horrorble. Right now i am working on E2M2. The story takes place where a new nightmare ended. Here are some screens along with a download of E2M1.
I hope for some feedback.

Oh! And by the way the screenshots were taken in a hurry just so i could have something to show in the tread other than the download.

Download demo : http://files.filefront.com//;8013958;;/

EDIT:

Download the full thing: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15208

EDIT: Started work on E2M6 now!

Current progress:

E2M1: Finished.

E2M2: Finished.

E2M3: Finished.

E2M4: Finished

E2M5: Finished.

E2M6: Finished.

E2M7: Finished.

E2M8: Finished.

E2M9: Finished.

The title sounds like a subtitle for a mock level. It actually generated a chuckle. Perhaps you should try for another title.

doom2day said:

The title sounds like a subtitle for a mock level. It actually generated a chuckle. Perhaps you should try for another title.

That thought popped up in my head to. I still think it's a cool name, i just hope people won't mistake the wad for a jokewad.

Another episode wad? As analogous with your Episode 1 work, is it going to remake "The Shores..." stylistically? Good luck... I liked your first E1 wad ("oskyrt"), it was the fast paced kind with not-so-big levels, similar to Wolfenstein 3d's Episode 3. Note that I stopped when I found a visplane overflow by one of E1M4's furniture rooms -- I forgot to use Doom 1.92 so I used the limited Doom 1.9. Otherwise, I could say it was good, though you didn't work to hide the Tutti-Frutti effects -- I know you made it for a port, but I (for example) am an old-schooler, and prefer running vanilla wads with vanilla Doom which has the original game mechanics, these "masked" imperfections becoming visible.

As for its title? It sounds a bit original, humourous, in such a way that it doesn't go to affect the gameplay (it never does if it doesn't sound misleading, and "horrorble" isn't misleading, it's more like: simulating old dialects, artistic word sense play). I encourage it. Or you could think (but less recommended) as "horror! Bleh!", if "bleh" would sound like a beast interjection :) -- such as a vampire? I vaguely remember some cartoon Draculas or relatives saying "bleh" -- accompanied by heheheheh... Or someone like them.

Trying to test your wad on vanilla (THERE'S NO MENTION ANYWHERE IT'S NOT A VANILLA WAD) -- doesn't open. Because of that Doom Builder editor-only camera (32000). Remember to remove it before testing or releasing a vanilla map. Sorry, not gonna use Eternity, ZDoom or other ports for a vanilla map.

printz said:

Another episode wad? As analogous with your Episode 1 work, is it going to remake "The Shores..." stylistically? Good luck... I liked your first E1 wad ("oskyrt"), it was the fast paced kind with not-so-big levels, similar to Wolfenstein 3d's Episode 3. Note that I stopped when I found a visplane overflow by one of E1M4's furniture rooms -- I forgot to use Doom 1.92 so I used the limited Doom 1.9. Otherwise, I could say it was good, though you didn't work to hide the Tutti-Frutti effects -- I know you made it for a port, but I (for example) am an old-schooler, and prefer running vanilla wads with vanilla Doom which has the original game mechanics, these "masked" imperfections becoming visible.

As for its title? It sounds a bit original, humourous, in such a way that it doesn't go to affect the gameplay (it never does if it doesn't sound misleading, and "horrorble" isn't misleading, it's more like: simulating old dialects, artistic word sense play). I encourage it. Or you could think (but less recommended) as "horror! Bleh!", if "bleh" would sound like a beast interjection :) -- such as a vampire? I vaguely remember some cartoon Draculas or relatives saying "bleh" -- accompanied by heheheheh... Or someone like them.

Trying to test your wad on vanilla (THERE'S NO MENTION ANYWHERE IT'S NOT A VANILLA WAD) -- doesn't open. Because of that Doom Builder editor-only camera (32000). Remember to remove it before testing or releasing a vanilla map. Sorry, not gonna use Eternity, ZDoom or other ports for a vanilla map.

Yes i know that the wad does not work with vanilla if
doom builder 3d view start is still on the map and like with
"A new nightmare" i will remove them from the maps when each map is finished. I just thought it would be a good idea to to zip up E2M1 upload it to filefront and get a litte feedback (And i still have gotten none) along with showing a couple of screens. This is NOT designed for ports. There is a mapinfo lump in the wad but is should not prevent the wad from playing in vanilla (i think).

printz said:

Because of that Doom Builder editor-only camera (32000).

There is a simple trick: Set flags=0 on that thing, thus it doesn't appear in any skill level and you don't have to bother removing it.

OK, not to be mean, I tested your levels. For E2M1 I replaced thing types 32000 with 3004 (former human). For D_E2M2 (!) I corrected by replacing (using XWE) by copying the map headers so the music lump remains, and replaced the other with a standard E2M2, so it now worked. THERE'S NO PRACTICAL NEED TO COMPACT THE MUSIC LUMP FILES WITH THE MAP HEADERS, USE SEPARATE LUMPS, PLEASE (ExMy, D_ExMy).

Note: Chocolate Doom also bombs when there's something amiss with unknown thing types. Good.

Now the levels work on vanilla Doom. How they played -- I kinda liked them. Fast paced action, compacted smallish levels, varied traps and paths. Level 2 is likely unfinished (there's a door covering a green stone wall).

I play Doom levels based on what's written in their descriptions anywhere.

@LogicDeLuxe: thanx for that tip. So instead of deleting, adding and deleting again, simply set those flags and have them kept that way forever.

printz said:

OK, not to be mean, I tested your levels. For E2M1 I replaced thing types 32000 with 3004 (former human). For D_E2M2 (!) I corrected by replacing (using XWE) by copying the map headers so the music lump remains, and replaced the other with a standard E2M2, so it now worked. THERE'S NO PRACTICAL NEED TO COMPACT THE MUSIC LUMP FILES WITH THE MAP HEADERS, USE SEPARATE LUMPS, PLEASE (ExMy, D_ExMy).

Note: Chocolate Doom also bombs when there's something amiss with unknown thing types. Good.

Now the levels work on vanilla Doom. How they played -- I kinda liked them. Fast paced action, compacted smallish levels, varied traps and paths. Level 2 is likely unfinished (there's a door covering a green stone wall).

I play Doom levels based on what's written in their descriptions anywhere.

@LogicDeLuxe: thanx for that tip. So instead of deleting, adding and deleting again, simply set those flags and have them kept that way forever.

Is E2M2 in the wad i uploaded? Damn i thought i had removed that stuff
for the sake of keeping it a secret until the wads release! Oh well. And yes that level is still work in progress.

It dosn’t work with Zdoom 2.0.60 and ZDoom 2.1.7, but it works with Skull Tag v0.97d-beta4.1 … Try to make it Zdoom compatible!

Deeforce said:

It dosn’t work with Zdoom 2.0.60 and ZDoom 2.1.7, but it works with Skull Tag v0.97d-beta4.1 … Try to make it Zdoom compatible!

The wad works fine on my Zdoom. Is anyone else having the problem? There is nothing in my wad that Zdoom can't do, i mean this is just in ultimate Doom format!

Hey Hardcore, I'm interested in contributing to your project! Please get in contact if you would like some help

Ralphis said:

Hey Hardcore, I'm interested in contributing to your project! Please get in contact if you would like some help

I just sent you a PM.

Hello there, fellow Doomer. I, too, would like to contribute to this bold, substantial project. Please contact me as well to provide me with any necessary details. Thank you very much.

~Nautilus

Hi there. This project sounds quite interesting. Please drop me a line when you have some time so we can discuss things further.

Ralphis said:

I am a jackass

Nautilus said:

I am a jackass

AlexMax said:

I am a jackass

the iron hitman said:

Mmmmm...looks pretty cool, i might join this project when i finish my skulltag map :D

Here are the rules:

1. The wad is episode 2 style, that means no E1 styled maps or pure hell maps.

2.For the same reason there can't be any E3 only objects in the wad like impaled former humans and spidermasterminds.

3. I don't want to tell you how you should map, but try to make sure that your levels will take at least 6-7 min to play though. It kind of sucks to storm though a level in 3 min.

4. The map must be in Boom format. And get rid of the 3d camera when you finish the map or set its flag value to zero to make sure it won't crash Doom. If you are using Doom builder.

5. If you want to put Cyberdemons in your levels then say so in this thread first so that not all of you do so and drown the wad in cyberdemons! EDIT: Forget it, no cybes until E2M8.

6. No new textures.

7. New music is ok along as id does not make peoples ears bleed.

8. There is no ending date for the project. You have all the time in the world. But don't to take to long!

9. If anyone wants to quit just say so in this thread or send my a PM
and there will be no hard feelings.

Also tell my something about your mapping tastes just for the sake of
it. And also what map slots you would like to use. ALL SLOTS ARE IN USE!!!

If those 4 guys have posted their shit, they better start working and show their tallents. Lying mustn't be allowed.

hardcore_gamer said:

5. If you want to put Cyberdemons in your levels then say so in this thread first so that not all of you do so and drown the wad in cyberdemons!

Original Episode 2 only has ONE Cyberdemon, as its boss. It makes no sense to put more Cyberdemons

printz said:

Original Episode 2 only has ONE Cyberdemon, as its boss. It makes no sense to put more Cyberdemons

Nothing said that the wad has to be completely the same as episode 2.

dutch devil said:

Do you realise some of those guys are bullshitting you.

I can't see why they should do that, i mean where is the joke in that?

If they really are saying they will join just to get some lulz, than they are just being sad immature jerks. Personally I find no humor in such an act.

ummm im not bullshitting, i didnt know people did stuff like that. hardcore gamer, i wouldnt mind contributing at all :D
Also i like some of hardcore gamers maps, and the fact that people do crap like joke about joining is rude. also its a wise idea to remake the second chapter of doom 1 seeing as KZiZD is still quite young :P

also forgot to add, contact me via PM or at my email address:-
NO

Nautilus, Alexmax and Ralphis have not replayed to my PM nor in this thread. That means there reply's were probably not real. Not funny and you just hurt my feelings :(