Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YMB

Calm Down, Apple.

Thanks about Intel correction. But wasn't 68k officially supported at least at emulation level with all PowerPC versions of Mac OS?

Edit: Wikipedia says 68k emulation on PowerPC was left in until Mac OS 9, while the last 680x0 Macs (Quadras?) were built until 1994.

Well, the 680x0 family caused pain to other platforms using it, most notably Amigas: the 68060 was practically the fastest 680x0 processor, but performance wise it could only be compared to early Pentiums, so even hi-end Amiga users had to turn to PowerPC accelerator boards, to get some more juice out of their boxes.

What I really liked about Amigas is how easily they could emulate a Mac back in the day: similar CPUs and superior hardware architecture = emulation with minimal overhead or even faster than a Mac with the same processor, leading to the paradox that the fastest "Mac" in existence was in fact an Amiga emulating a Mac :-)

It would be funny if some company started producing the next generation of Amigas to compete against Mac. I'm sure they could think of some clever things for commercials. :)

"Hi, I'm a Mac!"
"And I'm a PC."
"And I'm the Amiga. First computer to have a superior color display, blistering fast processor speed for awesome games and one of the best art programs to grace an OS! All by 1985. Suck it, Apple."

If you want to count emulation, then PowerPC hasn't been ditched yet. And even still, OS 9 was released in 1999, which is quite long ago in the world of computing.

Granted the 68k macs were terrible, but truth be told Macs in general were shit back then. It too until System 7 to get multifinder (which allowed multitasking) integrated into the OS, and somewhat stable (System 5 and System 6 multifinder were horrible). Until OS X came about there was nothing at all superior about the OS, and the Intel switch, while basically forcing Apple to admit that they produce nothing more than a glorified PC, was the second best hardware decision ever made, the best of course being dropping 68k for PPC.

Oh and one more thing, Linux is not used as a base. Current Mac OS was made from blending NeXTSTEP and BSD.

I remember that the Amiga actually used the cheap crappy 68000 chip meant for washing machines, apple used the fancier more expensive one. If an amiga seemed faster its probably down to the software rather than a superior processor

Don't forget the heavily DMA-based architecture and the dedicated video and audio chips of the Amiga: even at processor speed parity (there were several 68000 based machines at the time), it would still outperform most other home and personal computers when it came to graphics and sound (aka Games), simply because of the far superior hardware acceleration capabilities. Imagine parallax scrolling, 4-channel digital audio and simultaneous HD/Floppy loading with little to no CPU usage.

In comparison, the 68k macs and even the Amiga 500 greatest competitor, the Atari ST, were much more conventional in design and didn't really have anything remarkable about their hardware. To the Macs defense, those custom chips were less remarkable when used on higher end Amigas with 68020 and 68030 CPUs, and at least the graphics chips were at some point rehauled (AGA Amigas), while power users would purchase special Amiga graphics cards in order to use standard VGA monitors with high desktop resolutions.

Surely not all Amigas were produced using 68000 from the same stock, either, however not all used authentic Motorola chips (not that this would change anything in regards to performance). However some add-on processor boards, even those meant for PC compatibility, overrided the built-in 68000 with one of their own, since the manufactured deemed only "original" 68000s trustworty.

I think your stance on the Power PC CPU's is incorrect; They were exceptionally powerful, but they were also exceptionally expensive, and Apple wasn't willing to budge on price.

The only reason they jumped to Intel architecture was for compatibility, but i mean, christ, ACAD ran better on IBM's PowerPC architecture than Intel's current or past architecture - mainly because that's what those processors were for.

If Apple kept their shit together and sold Macs to the audience they were ACTUALLY made for, they wouldn't be doing what they're doing. Mind you, Jobs is also at least as eccentric as Gates...if not moreso.

Anyway, the PowerPC's potency is most definitely not bullshit; otherwise, MS wouldn't have put it in their XBox 360. It's a more expensive processor than anything Intel could put out, so it's potency in multimedia use has to be the answer.

I think Apple should have kept it for workstations designed for architecture and engineering, and gone with less potent CPU's for basic business machines. You really don't need the goddamned space shuttle to run a word processor, unless you're ignorant enough to use a version of MS Office more recent than Office 2k.

PC Compatible Mac laptops rule. You can dual boot OSX or Win XP and you can get Linux on there too. Running in OSX it seems to be what you get when people actually set out to make progress (unlike Microsoft restraining and bogging things down on shit hardware from the likes of Dell,Gateway,HP,etc) and then you got Win XP for running PC stuff.

As if Win XP isn't bad enough despite having SOME more stability than Win 98SE, Vista is just a horrific piece of the shit that goes completely psycho with sinister overbearing controlling shit to keep users from using what they freaking paid for how they want. If you use Vista you're a sucker. It's an OS that needs to die even quicker than it is.

*unplugs gokuma before he blows a fuse*

jeez, calm down, take a chill pill or something. some of you geeks get far to emotionally involved with daft stuff like operating systems

I have recently decided that for college I am going to get a MacBook with Parallels, and run MacOS X, Windows Vista, and Ubuntu simultaneously.

Plonker said:

*unplugs gokuma before he blows a fuse*

jeez, calm down, take a chill pill or something. some of you geeks get far to emotionally involved with daft stuff like operating systems

I lol'd