Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.

do you have a mirror?

I might check this out. :) And yeah, a mirror would be nice. Try uploading it to a file host such as Sendspace or zShare or something like that.

I'm going to be brutally honest here and say that I don't think these maps are very good. Of the little I've played, they don't feel like Scythe 2 at all. This looks like it was made with a random map generator. The detail is often random or ugly, while a few maps seem to have parts lifted directly from Doom 2. The ripped Heretic music, while cheesy, doesn't bother me, as my current project has a bunch of stuff ripped from Heretic and Hexen too.

Map 28, which is supposed to be the best in the mapset, is a mess. It has 5200 monsters. That isn't a typo, there are literally that many monsters. It lagged GZDoom so bad I had to type kill monsters in the console to get a respectable framerate. I honestly don't know if this was meant to be serious or a joke, but it's just insane.

There's potential here, as some of the detail actually looks nice, but it's obscured by some tremendous flaws. I say go back to the drawing board, study Scythe 2 obsessively, and start over.

Snarboo said:

I'm going to be brutally honest here and say that I don't think these maps are very good. Of the little I've played, they don't feel like Scythe 2 at all. This looks like it was made with a random map generator. The detail is often random or ugly, while a few maps seem to have parts lifted directly from Doom 2.

Map 28, which is supposed to be the best in the mapset, is a mess. It has 5200 monsters. That isn't a typo, there are literally that many monsters. It lagged GZDoom so bad I had to type kill monsters in the console to get a respectable framerate. I honestly don't know if this was meant to be serious or a joke, but it's just insane.

There's potential here, as some of the detail actually looks nice, but it's obscured by some tremendous flaws. I say go back to the drawing board, study Scythe 2 obsessively, and start over.

...I will have to agree with all of what Snarboo said. But replace 5200 monsters with 5202 monsters.

Ok, played MAP24, and there are some serious errors. Firstly, there is a HOM in the first room with the shotgun sergeants. At the bottoms of the steps. Secondly, some of the rooms after that are too low, and therefore monster's heads get cut off (cosmetic). Lastly, the lost souls in the map are stuck and cannot move. There were plenty more, such as detailing, architecture, and texture alignment, but that you should know.

Played MAP25, and quit shortly after. There were too many missing textures.

Next time try running it with the wad it was made for :P

That said, playing the wad is a waste of time. As for map28, did you honestly expect someone to bother with sging through the revs behind the blue key door?

I just noticed that this wad uses ZDoom/Boom features, which further distances it from Scythe 2, which was limit removing only. Atleast, I think so. I don't remember any Boom features being used.

Snarboo said:
I don't remember any Boom features being used.

There were a couple of Boom switches, but most of the levels work fine under standard (if limit removing) functionality.

Belial said:

As for map28, did you honestly expect someone to bother with sging through the revs behind the blue key door?

I was wondering the same thing. I like the large size of the map, but how much playtesting was done?

Snarboo said:

Map 28, which is supposed to be the best in the mapset, is a mess. It has 5200 monsters.

Oh, that map has 5729 monsters on UV if I'm not mistaken. While I personally like high monster count maps, that is just one of those maps that takes it too far.

Snarboo said:

I just noticed that this wad uses ZDoom/Boom features, which further distances it from Scythe 2, which was limit removing only. Atleast, I think so. I don't remember any Boom features being used.

Actually, the text file for Scythe 2 clearly says 'Boom compatible'. It also uses a handful of Boom line types in the later maps.

I think it's pretty cool all in all.

Bejitas, the only thing I can say is map28 needs alot of work as far as the balancing aspect goes. How it stands now (on UV anyway) it's almost not even worth playing. There's no way out of the starting room once you get by the Blue Key door. No ammo at all for the Rev swarm.

I also think you needed to add some more health to the map man. I haven't tried the map too much, but after getting stuck at the blue key door I threw on God Mode with all weapons/ammo and had a look around (with monsters).

It looks like it "could" be a great map to play if it was better developed (item wise). But at it's current state, well, it's just a slaughter map to run through with all the cheats on.

Map 28 caused GZdoom to freeze, and looking at it in Doom Builder I can see why. That huge outside area full of imps and barons is the prime suspect.

Although you do have some nice looking areas in some cases.

I have decided to re-work the map as per your suggestion and reduce it to about 1300 monsters, I will just include MAP28 and change the map around. I am sorry I got carried away with the map without peer review.

Look for an updated version just including the MAP28 soon.

http://www.geocities.com/hungry_mancubus/darkness.zip

This is a new copy of MAP28. Just load it instead of dark.wad. I just ran this map with BOOM v2.02 in xdosemu and it ran perfectly with monsters so give it a try. I have chopped out the chapel area, but sped it up considerably.

Doesn't run in latest zdoom. It crashes out without any errors. Beats me.

Bombs out with prboom and gzdoom for me as well.