Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorenzo

Strange entry in doom wads

Some doom wads have a strange entry called "platform"... did you ever notice? Is there someone who knows what is it for ?

Lorenzo

What WADs, and what does the platform lump contain? Does it belong to a map marker?

Yeah, it would be good to know an example, as don't recall any such lump. If it's not something a specific engine uses, it could be something an editing tool leaves.

Now that's something I always wanted to ask (since 10 years ago to be precise) but never dared/bothered: I had noticed the PLATFORM entry since 1994-1995 in some random PWADs, I guess I could do some search in my old Doomania CD and see if I can find it.

Engine specific...a bit too early for that. Perhaps something editor specific, or it's just a custom flat/sprite that didn't work as intended.

Yeah, editor specific. I don't know what the lumps actually did but I think the editor DMReal made those entries. Hang on, I'll DL it...

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13629

OK, yup, it seems that it is a way of identifying your moving platforms for the editor. In the tutorial help files, it shows you how to enter details for a platform. It seems you just use it to describe your platform (eg lift in the middle of the room) but the only bit of a platform definition that Doom uses is, of course, the tag number.

[edit]OK, I just made a simple level with it... Ahhh the memories, I used to use this editor quite a bit but never used it to make tagged objects. Anyway, the platform entry is a way of making your "platform" definitions more friendly. In a dialogue that you can pop-up from the sector editor, you define your platform - giving it a tag and then a description. When you then want to give a line an action associated with the tag, your platform definition is available through a drop down menu. A bit overkill IMO, especially in the days of the simple maps when this editor would have been widely used but there you have it.[/edit]