Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epyo

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

deathbringer said:

Jesus, it's only a series of books. And not even paticuarly good ones at that

yeah okay good point it isn't like it's one of the biggest phenomena of the last decade or responsible for introducing countless numbers of children to reading or actually fun to read or anything

thank you for reminding me how much the series sucks and how unpopular it is

harry potter, its not something you just read for fun, its not a good story, its, ITS A SERIES OF BOOKS

BoldEnglishman said:
Obviously I know what banning people is but what is "axing" an account?

It's when you spray deodorant on it so that it won't stink (you even get the axe effect).

Actually...

Getting axed on gamefaqs is short for a Usermap Axe, which is worse than a ban, because not only is that account banned, but all the accounts that have been used on any computer that account has used (in the past 6 months) are also banned. Gamefaqs forum regulars often have many "alt" accounts, just for fun, or in case one gets banned. Gamefaqs secretly tries to keep track of which accounts are associated through Usermaps.

Crazy? Basically.

Anyway the guy who runs Mugglenet.com was just on geraldo whatever his name is's show on Fox News. Made a funny comment that there's a Harry Potter theme park being made, so if Harry dies in book 7, it would be a lame place to go to. Also he suspects JK will write more stories within the wizarding world, without harry potter himself.

I have to imagine Rowling is pretty burnt out by this point. If she really does write a continuation of the story, or a whole new series entirely, I'll be impressed. But either way neither she nor the next dozen generations of her family ever have to work again.

Danarchy said:

Zombie Dumbledore kills Snape.

Actually, Dumbledore is brought back in a robotic exoskeleton and when he confronts Snape, he says, "My friends call me Dumbledore. Dead or alive, you're coming with me." Snape holds Hagrid at gunpoint by the window, but Hagrid nudges him out of the way and Dumbledore shoots Snape, and Snape falls through the window to a spectacular death.

Well, its been leaked.

SPOILER WARNING: POTENTIAL USER COMMENTS WITH SPOILERS
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/17/235207

Now I'm scared to go on the internet until I purchase/finish the book. Especially on forums and blogs, and *******ELY YTMND (which I think I may have seen the last page of the book but didnt read the whole thing and assumed it was fake).

Anyway, yeah, watch out.

I'm having difficulties telling which spoilers are fake and which are real. Could someone here make a list?

yeah okay good point it isn't like it's one of the biggest phenomena of the last decade or responsible for introducing countless numbers of children to reading or actually fun to read or anything

thank you for reminding me how much the series sucks and how unpopular it is

Correction: Jesus, it's only a series of books, with insanely overzealous fans who you can't displease in any way. The Qu'ran is similar i heard...

Just finished the book. Took 20 hours in 2 days. I think it's my favorite, but I might still like 3 better. I'll say no more.

I thought it was an excellent closer to the series. It still had a few of those damn twists that Rowling seems to love employing (see the first three books especially) and the deus ex machinas run rampant, and you can tell when she pulled something out of her ass to help advance the plot, but overall, I enjoyed it very much. Considering that I've never thought much of the series, this was a pleasant surprised.

Man, how do you guys have the book already? I have to wait two more days still.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Basically, this guy created this journal arguing vehemently that the leak was a fake, providing lists upon lists of inconsistencies, and now that it's been proven real, the legions of people who agreed with him are completely and utterly crestfallen.

That's what happens when you take yourself too seriously, folks!

Rowling was quoted as saying "SUCKERS!" whilst speeding off in a limo, holding two huge bags with pound signs emblazoned.

I can see where she's coming from though, she probably wrote the first one, and probably the second and third just as nice stories she felt like writing, she probably didnt realise it would get as huge as it has. And by the time i'd written 6 more-than-200 page books on anything i'd be pretty pissed off with it and just want to get it over and done with. Er, the moral of the story being never tell your fans how much you plan to write or how long it will go on for, because then it will have to!

deathbringer said:

I can see where she's coming from though, she probably wrote the first one, and probably the second and third just as nice stories she felt like writing, she probably didnt realise it would get as huge as it has. And by the time i'd written 6 more-than-200 page books on anything i'd be pretty pissed off with it and just want to get it over and done with. Er, the moral of the story being never tell your fans how much you plan to write or how long it will go on for, because then it will have to!

Wrong. She planned to write 7 books. Maybe she didn't expect it to get so big, but like many fantasy authors, she had a long series planned out. Next time you go to the bookstore, look in the Science-Fiction/Fantasy section and tell me how many of the books exist as standalone stories that aren't tied to some seemingly endless series. Seven books is downright small in comparison. And as for her not expecting it to become what it has, I doubt anyone is capable of predicting cultural phenomena to that extent, but it doesn't make her plan any different. She just ended up writing for millions of worldwide fans as opposed to hundreds of British fans.

First off, this is for people who've read the book or don't care about spoilers as opposed to the pre-release thread which is for people who are still contemplating what could happen for whatever reason.

I thought the ending was really good, but the one thing was that it seemed like Harry Potter pulled an Aslan with the Christ-like death/rebirth/everyone is saved because of love. But hey, it's not an original theme but it was well done.

What did everyone else think?

Also, please if you don't really want to discuss Harry Potter just don't post. I don't know why it became such a badge of honor to dis Harry Potter but it really isn't original, and we all get the point: the book is fantastic, childish and too popular to actually be good or worth reading and therefore deserves awkward derisive comments every time someone mentions it. Obviously, it's trash and children should be reading Finnegan's Wake or some kind of real literature. Great. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's move on with a real discussion.

I doubt this is the end for Rowling. Whether or not she writes more books in the Harry Potter universe is yet to be seen, but I just know that she will be tempted to write more.

With as much money as she has she should have hired John Updike and Thomas Pynchon to ghostwrite the last few books for her.

Actually the amount of foreshadowing given to the eventual years-later end of the book killed any surprise about it, but that doesn't make it lame. Unless one of the paired up characters had gotten killed in the last book, it made sense (at least with the way the ending was done) to do, as you put it, a "lolz lets pair em all up" ending.

The whole concept of the "deathly hallows" feels to me like it was pulled out of rowling's ass, and for no real purpose at all. This includes voldemorts death of course.

I think she killed off some characters just for the sake of doing so as well.

lots of harry potter fanatics had their balls busted over this. Rowling has some explaining to do.

I really liked it personally, and now in contrast, it is such a dark book when compared to the first. I mean it had been working up to this point but now comparing the two is like black and white.

HP1:
-Dumbledore is good
-Snape is bad
-Malfoy is bad
-Dursleys are bad
-Ministry and media is good

HP7:
-Dumbledore isn't perfect
-Snape is not only not bad but good
-Draco Malfoy is just of differing opinion and his parents regret having anything to do with Voldemort
-Petunia Dursley is just jealous of her sister's ability and Dudley cares about Harry
-Ministry and media is bad

On doomer's note you could say the entire series was meant to show how a child's understanding of the things around him are very very incomplete compared to the truth.

Also, the last book kind of made Snape the best character ever.