Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aabra

Skulltag 97D Beta 4 Released!

Recommended Posts

Carnevil has rejoined the Skulltag development team which is now stronger than it has ever been before, and along with him comes a new version of Skulltag. This latest version of Skulltag includes Linux server and client support as well as demo recording. A plethora of other minor fixes have also been made. Check out the full changelog and download it here.

Share this post


Link to post

I must be missing something here.... I don't see what some silly youtube video has to do with Skulltag or Doom for that matter but ok...

Share this post


Link to post

Very true that the Linux version is a beta, so much that it won't even run...


It runs just fine. We've only released the Ubuntu binaries though so if you're using a different distro then there's a high possibility that it won't work. (We'll be releasing binaries for different distros in the coming days.)

Also from what I hear the Linux Client needs Timidity to be installed for it to work. Don't ask me what that is... I'm not a big Linux person, but if you are - hopefully you'll know. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Aabra said:
Don't ask me what that is... I'm not a big Linux person,

TiMidity isn't Linux specific; all the relatively up to date ZDoom based engines support it. I use it in Windows for music when playing on any ZDoom or any SDL engines.

Share this post


Link to post
Aabra said:

It runs just fine. We've only released the Ubuntu binaries though so if you're using a different distro then there's a high possibility that it won't work. (We'll be releasing binaries for different distros in the coming days.)

Also from what I hear the Linux Client needs Timidity to be installed for it to work. Don't ask me what that is... I'm not a big Linux person, but if you are - hopefully you'll know. :)

I use Ubuntu 7.04 with Timidity installed and it does not work:


http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5123/skulltag1gu2.png

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3901/skulltag2of7.png


Looks like I'm stuck with Wine and the Windows version of Skulltag... ...though I'm more than happy to hear from any fellow Ubuntu users who have managed to get it working.

Share this post


Link to post

Hrmm, that's weird Mindless. I'll direct Torr to this thread when he wakes up. He'll be able to help you with this a lot more than I can. I admittedly don't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to Linux.

Share this post


Link to post

Mix-Man managed to get it running on BSD and threw up a bunch of servers. (The CND2 ones) Again, I'll direct Torr to this thread tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post

Installing Fmod was kinda easy in the end....

Just download Fmod 3.75 and rename the .so file to "libfmod.so"

Then go into the folder it's in in the Terminal and type "sudo cp libfmod.so /usr/lib/"

That got Fmod running enough to play Skulltag for me :P

EDIT: but I still have no sound...gotta figure that out D:

EDIT2: fixed heh, just had to run ST a second time.

Share this post


Link to post

Instead of opening the source I think we'd rather have anybody who's got the programming experience, the motivation, and interest in Skulltag simply ask to join the team. Many hands make light the work as they say. There's typically a challenge so to speak of that we make for somebody who applies which involves familiarizing yourself with the Zdoom or GZDoom source just to make sure that the person does in fact know what they're doing.

The team really is quite large now. It's around 10 people. (Give or take.) There are only 3 coders who work on the Skulltag source but we've also got mappers, artists, administrators, testers, and people who don't really do much of anything... like me! Actually I am working on a rather large project for Skulltag which will hopefully be unveiled in a month or so... we'll see. :)

Anyways... why open the source when the people with the ability to put it to good use can just join the team I guess is my point. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Mindless Rambler said:

Seconded.

Thirded

Fourthed


Would you rather have open source with heaps of cheaters or closed with a better game?

Share this post


Link to post

EANB said:
Would you rather have open source with heaps of cheaters or closed with a better game?

There's no indication closing the source really helps consistently in that respect. There are still many cheaters in ZDaemon, for example, and it's closed. While the obscurity may keep some hackers out it encourages others; both because the obscurity itself makes them dare, as well as because any other users except the developers (who can't be everywhere) are in the dark as to how the sotfware (along with the hacks) works. There are other ways to deal with that problem, and a closed source is a source for which the community can't provide proper (bugfixing) input because they don't have enough information to do it to the fullest extent.

Providing binaries for Linux is very limited, because a source is much more portable and universal. A source release requires less work for the developers and gives the users the ability to make it work on their custom systems. Many Linux users will simply say "meh" to such a source lacking release.

Share this post


Link to post
EANB said:

Would you rather have open source with heaps of cheaters or closed with a better game?


how wrong you are. I don't even KNOW where to start.

Share this post


Link to post

When John Carmack released the source, he did not intend for people to take it and make a closed-source project. People who do so are selfishly taking advantage of the original license.

Share this post


Link to post
Csonicgo said:

how wrong you are. I don't even KNOW where to start.


Sorry. I feel kinda retarded now.

Share this post


Link to post
exp(x) said:

When John Carmack released the source, he did not intend for people to take it and make a closed-source project. People who do so are selfishly taking advantage of the original license.


I'm sorry but this got to me. I can't believe you just called the people who make FREE games SELFISH. The people who spend untold number of hours working on Zdaemon and Skulltag and receive absolutely no money whatsoever for their work so that hundreds of other people can play and enjoy it are clearly only looking out for number one. They're the most selfish people on the planet.

What about all those wads that people have made that clearly state that other wad authors are *NOT* permitted to use the maps or resources in the wad as a base for future levels. Are all these people selfish too?

There's just no pleasing some people. You strike me as the kid whose parents buy him a new car and he complains that it's not a BMW. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Mindless Rambler said:

I use Ubuntu 7.04 with Timidity installed and it does not work:


http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5123/skulltag1gu2.png

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3901/skulltag2of7.png


Looks like I'm stuck with Wine and the Windows version of Skulltag... ...though I'm more than happy to hear from any fellow Ubuntu users who have managed to get it working.

The x bit of the binary got lost during the packaging. Just set it again, for example with

chmod +x skulltag
and the permission denied error is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Aabra said:

I can't believe you just called the people who make FREE games SELFISH.

The skulltag team didn't "make" Doom; John Carmack did. They just took his work and the work of earlier port authors. If they made a free game from scratch and didn't open the source, I'd be a little disappointed, but I'd respect that decision.

Aabra said:

What about all those wads that people have made that clearly state that other wad authors are *NOT* permitted to use the maps or resources in the wad as a base for future levels. Are all these people selfish too?

Not really. Such people actually created an original work instead of modifying and closing something generously given to them. Now, if they used someone else's level or resources as a base to their own wad and then went on to make that prohibitive statement, then they are doing the same thing as the skulltag and zdaemon developers are by closing the source.

Aabra said:

You strike me as the kid whose parents buy him a new car and he complains that it's not a BMW. :P

Yeah, no.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×