Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealthy Ivan

How many wads do you have???

Heh, I looked in my doom dir, I have 1,205 wads, dating from as far back as 1994! I think I need to pick through all of them when I have time and do some cleaning. :P How many do you guys have in your Doom dir? Oh and CD's like D-zone and Maximum Doom do not count, just whats on your hard drive!

Must be close to 3,000 maybe more (11,600 files). 2.3 gig in that doom 2 directory. The doom directory is only half that size.

Edit:
Just did a sort to find out for real. there are only 1,257 actual wad files (1.79 Gig) in that doom 2 directory.

The doom directory has 300 actual wad files in it.

I would have assumed I had more wads, based on 11,600 files in there, but I do have a boatload of demos in there as well.

No idea. I've got loads on my HD in different places and a whole bunch of extra CDs too.

Those with hundreds of wads, have you played them all, or are you simply storing them for safety's sake?

When I first downloaded them of course I played them, some I liked and played alot, and some I forgot about... Thats why I have to go through and clean my doom dir :P

I DL WADs and then play them as soon as possible. I then put a short review in the zip comments mainly to remind myself what the WAD was about, or its theme etc. The ones I really enjoy, I keep somewhere convenient and replay. The others I keep elsewhere and occasionally dip back into on an infrequent basis. I rarely delete a WAD totally unless it is utter crap.

2.58 GB worth of doom related products!
In case, you know, I'm stranded on a desert island with nothing but a solar powered laptop... a really crappy solar powered laptop... and my external hard drive... umm...

:D

I'm not about to spend an hour organizing my directories to count them. Let's just say it's a big enough number.

GGG said:

I'm not about to spend an hour organizing my directories to count them. Let's just say it's a big enough number.

Just search for *.wad.

Captain Red said:

2.58 GB worth of doom related products!
In case, you know, I'm stranded on a desert island with nothing but a solar powered laptop... a really crappy solar powered laptop... and my external hard drive... umm...

:D

Heh, then be glad you still have DooM... :P

2000+ or so...meh I dunno alot.

And about 50+ unfinished stuff from myself some demo wads and some serious work which are an long way from finished, I haven't been mapping much lately.

I play every one I download. Then I create a small text file with my first impressions of the map and the time of my first max run. Noting things like health, ammo, theme, tricky parts, etc.

If a map is total crap I do delete them but save the small text file to warn myself, if needed, in the future.

ON THIS COMPUTER. I HAVE TWO.

Searching the Doom, Doom 2, Doom remnants, Heretic, Hexen, Strife directories... damn, only 567 wads. Not all are "official", extracted or whatever. I rarely copy paste the idgames listings from a FTP site, and when I do, I later delete the junk I had stored. And I'm not an avid enough player to have thousands of played wads.

6600 uncompressed wad files in c:\doom + c:\doom2. Many more in zip files, and on external hard disks, and some in other locations on the hard disk, though quite a number of them will be duplicates. I'd hazard a random guess at 25000 unique wad files in total.

Grazza said:
I'd hazard a random guess at 25000 unique wad files in total.

Holy shit, you have seen alot of peoples work/levels! You have more wads than any one else I know! Heh, must have been interesting to see all of the different styles (excluding the rip off's) that people have!

The frightening thing is he can remember details of most of them and find them almost instantly in the /idgames database too even with just the scantest clues about their identity.

I clean up my wads directory once in a while, so I don't really keep that many. I have about 700 wads on my hard drive, currently.

Far too many. :)

My wads folder on my desktop machine is 2.71 GB.
My laptop's wads folder is more realistic, only containing wads I play regularly and some more recent ones. 95 files only. 600MB +/-

I've got more wads in other locations, like my old p166 which is sitting in the cupboard.

~60

I only keep the good ones.

Edit= Heh, and they are all still in the 'unzipped' folder.

Edit2= I probably have around a hundred in skulltag's and Zdaemon's 'wads' folder.

Doom Directory 1 (both Doom 2 and Doom + Ports) has 1450 Files, 3.85 GB
Doom Directory 2 (both Doom 2 and Doom + Ports) has 1079 Files, 1.93 GB
Doom Directory 3 (both Doom 2 and Doom + Ports) has 1628 Files,- 713 MB
Doom Directory 4 (both Doom 2 and Doom + Ports) has- 259 Files,- 787 MB
----------------------------------------------------+__________ +______

Total----------------------------------------------- 4416 Files, 7.28 GB

I didn't know I had that much!

(the - before the numbers do not mean it's negative, its just the forum doesn't allow more than space between words for some reason.)

As for WAD files, I don't know exactly, as you can tell I would have to look through a lot of files! I can make a very rough guess though:

Doom Directory 1 (both Doom 2 and Doom + Ports) 725 WADs
Doom Directory 2 (both Doom 2 and Doom + Ports) 540 WADs
Doom Directory 3 (both Doom 2 and Doom + Ports) 814 WADs
Doom Directory 4 (both Doom 2 and Doom + Ports) 130 WADs
-----------------------------------------------+_________

Total------------------------------------------ 2029 WADs

Edit: Searched for *.wad and got: 1494, not that close.

(Divided files from each directory in half. I did this because of the Text files that mostly all of my WADs are accompanied with.)

Psycho Siggi said:
95 files only. 600MB +/-

Strange, that's more than 60 MB per wad. The 700 or so wads I have occupy 960 MB (text files included).

myk said:

Strange, that's more than 60 MB per wad. The 700 or so wads I have occupy 960 MB (text files included).

That struck me as odd too.
However, most wads are rather large in this case as there are a few mega wads and large ZDoom wads. Neodoom.wad, for example, is reportedly 67.2MB.

Giving this a 2nd look. It does seem as though something is amiss.

Shtbag667 said:
900, about 100 are probably backups and test wads.

900? Heh, whats up fellow Team VPO member? Long time no see, what have you been up to these days (send me a PM). :)

327 (but thats just because I recently went thru and deleted a bunch of crap wads)

totalling 2.04 GB

((Also I found a few Quark.wads that are for a Quake (and Quake engine games) editor that uses wads for stored textures. But, you never specified for what game!))