Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myk

Trivia: color 255, & MP weapon pickup text (bug?)

Two (tiny) things I noticed recently in Doom v1.9 that I hadn't really noted before or heard about (even though the latter is pretty obvious):

• Some time back deep had run his program on all the DOOM and DOOM II resources to find what colors weren't used, and 251 and 255 were unused counting both games. This is true, although color 255 is used in the game; for the dots used to calculate the fps in devparm mode.

• When you pick up a weapon in MultiPlayer the pickup text is not displayed. I didn't see this listed as a bug in the DOOM wiki. Can anyone figure out if this is some omission or glitch, or if there's a reason for it?

myk said:

When you pick up a weapon in MultiPlayer the pickup text is not displayed. I didn't see this listed as a bug in the DOOM wiki. Can anyone figure out if this is some omission or glitch, or if there's a reason for it?

In the original DeathMatch mode (-deathmatch 1), weapons stay on the map, and the DOOM code achieves this by returning false from P_GiveWeapon(), the side-effect is the message is not displayed. Seems like a mere omission to me.

Judging by the code, it doesn't affect Co-op or AltDeath (-deathmatch 2) multiplayer games.

Ajapted said:
Judging by the code, it doesn't affect Co-op or AltDeath (-deathmatch 2) multiplayer games.

Cooperative, it does affect, because the weapons stay like in DeathMatch. You're right about AltDeath.

Maybe it could be added to the wiki's bugs list, then (it's an omission similar to the colormap not affecting the sky in invulnerabilty).