Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jello

Question about video cards

Howdy all, I'm looking for a decent PCI video card for my computer. I got one from Dell back in 2005, it was pretty cheap and a decent computer, but lo and behold it didn't have an AGP slot, although the Dell I got in 2000 did. This rendered my ATI Radeon 9800 useless. I tried putting in a new motherboard with AGP slots, but this didn't work, so it looks like I'm stuck with the PCI untill next March, when I plan to get one that's not a Dell. Anyways, I was wondering if you folks had a suggestion on a good, but inexpensive PCI card, probably under 100 dollars. It'd be nice if it could run doom 3 decently, but I doubt that would happen, maybe just half-life 2. I'd like at least 128 MB on it, basically I just want to run Call of Cthulhu and Day of Defeat without tremendous slowdown... integrated graphics sucks. I've been rather out of the loop on video cards for a few years, so I can't really track down what's new or decent. I found a review of the Nvidia 5200 plus I believe, it has 128MB, but all the benchmarks were for Quake 3 and Jedi Knight 2, so it might be incredibly outdated at this point, but I found one on amazon for 30 bucks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

No AGP? Weird...

Just get a comp custom built with a PCI-E slot and card if you're willing to fork over the cash. Or, if you have the skills, build your own (like I did) and spend only half the money.

I overhauled my entire comp with: 256 MB Geforce 6600 PCI-E vid card, new FoxConn mobo with jumperless OC abilities, new Pentium D Dual core 2.8 ghz, and new Transcend Jetram 1 gb (2x512) DDR2 667 RAM. All for about 166 bucks USD (yay Newegg!)

PCI? Hmm, try AGP, you will have alot more fun... GeForce/NVIDIA,thats the way to go, nuff said! Depending on your motherboard.
BTW Dell sux if you want a really good gaming box...

My computer is 'suppposedly' better than my parents. I open up both. My motherboard is a newer version than my parents, but to my anger/suprise, theirs is the only one with anything fancier than pci. They get an .... agp slot while my mother board has a suspicious blank spot and a AGP label and holes, but no AGP slot.

Hmm, doom2day, what brand are your parents? Are they running out of processing power and memory?

low end computers often have no video card slots, as they were never meant for gaming or graphics apps. A PCI card probably isn't going to play Doom3 very well, if at all. I'd upgrade the mobo/buy a new pc altogether, or give up on Doom3. Next time make sure it has a PCIE-x16 slot. Sorry, I know that doesn't help.

Plonker said:

my old PC has a geforce 5200 and runs Doom3 ok buts thats the AGP version

lol, exactly what I had...but for some reason it ran Doom3 at 4 FPS...strange. Oh well! Now I can play it at much higher speeds!

I rather figured that running doom 3 on a PCI card would be close to impossible, but not running doom 3 isn't really a problem, I just wanted one in that area. The next computer I get I am thinking about just building one, I've replaced virtually everything in computers before, so it would just take some time and concentration. I probably will look into that GeForce 5500 though, never thought I'd see a PCI card in 256mb variety. Thank for all your suggestions, gave me a good course to follow!

redmage125 said:

Satan makes video cards in his factory in HELL.

Well then I must say all hail Satan! I loves me my polygons and mipmapping and whatnot.

Jello said:

Well then I must say all hail Satan! I loves me my polygons and mipmapping and whatnot.

Yeah, they kick ass, but finding the right card is annoying.

myk said:

Hmm, doom2day, what brand are your parents? Are they running out of processing power and memory?

I don't think that my parents are branded. But:
''My computer'' (my father bought it):
Compaq Presario SR1123WM
--CELERON D == BAH
Some intel integrated graphics that barely runs doom3 - SUCKS LIKE HELL WITH PARTICLES -- Lags like hell on opengl in skulltag looking at the telporter particle pit in D2ST2 - ON 640 x 480!
Their computer:
Compaq Presario S4020WM
Those were decent 500$ computers back in the day, I hope.

doom2day said:

I don't think that my parents are branded. But:
''My computer'' (my father bought it):
Compaq Presario SR1123WM
--CELERON D == BAH
Some intel integrated graphics that barely runs doom3 - SUCKS LIKE HELL WITH PARTICLES -- Lags like hell on opengl in skulltag looking at the telporter particle pit in D2ST2 - ON 640 x 480!
Their computer:
Compaq Presario S4020WM
Those were decent 500$ computers back in the day, I hope.

Anything with a Celeron is not decent, my mother got a laptop with one after I warned her numerous times not to get one. It ended up taking about 20 minutes to start up and load windows after about a year. I've also noticed that intel integrated graphics has a really hard time with particle effects. Mine runs soldier of fortune 2 great at 1280x1024, but as soon as I throw an incendiary grenade the framerate drops to around 2fps. They really need to fix it, because it's not a terrible default graphics chip, but anytime there's flames on screen it pretty much dies.

Anyways, I ended up ordering a Radeon 9250 256mb card today, 50 bucks. I'll let you all know how it works. The last Radeon I had was great, never failed me, so I hope this one is decent. I really hate PCI.

Jello said:
Anything with a Celeron is not decent, my mother got a laptop with one after I warned her numerous times not to get one. It ended up taking about 20 minutes to start up and load windows after about a year.

Maybe some Celerons are bad, but mine never gave me any problems (on the contrary). It's an older "coppermine" model, though.

To be fair I've only known 3 people with Celerons, but they all had problems with them from day one. Basically they were advertised as being a normal processor, but they were just a cheaper Pentium, hence they didn't preform as well. The main problem was just that they were underpowered, but my mother's especially just became a hunk of crap. It took a good 4 minutes to open IE in it, but she might've just installed so many pointless programs and gotten a fair amount of viruses. I'm pretty sure she had bonzai buddy at some point. I'm also wondering, is Athlon still around? I heard good things about them a few years ago, but last I heard they were having some problems.

Jello said:

The main problem was just that they were underpowered, but my mother's especially just became a hunk of crap. It took a good 4 minutes to open IE in it, but she might've just installed so many pointless programs and gotten a fair amount of viruses.

Yeah, check the amount of ram first before taking the blame on processors when trying to open programs...