Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DaniJ

What node builder was used for crudream.zip?

Anyone here have any idea which node builder was used for crudream.zip, specifically MAP02?
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14485

I've been trying to iron out the visual artefacts seen when rendering this map in Doomsday and have found the nodes of this particular map are to be honest, an utter mess.

I'm seriously considering completely ignoring nodes in maps when loading them in Doomsday and forcing a nodebuild instead (due to the number of maps I've found lately, with severely broken nodes).

It might look fine but actually look at the structure of the nodes, particularly the subsectors.

Afterglow will likely be able to tell you, as Map02 is his and he headed the project.

Comedy. I believe it was BSP 5.1 included with Doom Builder. That map was also originally in Hexen format (from Skull Tag) which was converted back to Doom 2 format using a command line tool which I don't remember. I thought it was in http://zdoom.org/files/utils/utils050999.zip but it looks like that only includes the Doom->Hexen converter.

I don't see the need for Doomsday to keep the original nodes when you can make a better guarantee of no rendering errors with a native nodesbuilder.

I just noticed JDoom 1.15.0-beta5 freezes on Crucified Dreams MAP01 at "Setting Up Level..." (before precaching textures) even though the size of the level is within the bounds of the original Doom engine (SEGS, etc. within size of 32,767).

Thanks a bunch Afterglow. BSP 5.1 huh, that speaks volumes.

Yeah, it has gotten to the stage where supporting the nodes produced from all the various nodebuilders is no longer practical or desireable. Most likely future versions of Doomsday will ignore all pre-built nodes (either in WAD or from GWA) and instead will build and cache its own nodes. The downside of which being that the first time a map is loaded there will be a noticeable momentary pause whilst the nodes are built but thats unavoidable.

The issue with loading Crucified Dreams MAP01 in Doomsday 1.9.0-beta5.1 has been fixed in svn for the upcoming beta6.

Not if the node build process is strictly deterministic (ie. no random partition selection strategy). Then a demo recorded with Doomsday should play back the same every time.

Otherwise, it would require removing any effect of the BSP tree upon gameplay. Ideally it shouldn't have any anyway; that is a quirk of the Doom engine better done away with given the opportunity.