Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

YAY, Tuning Contest

Hello, mappers. I want to make the popular Russian competition available for you. This contest is known there as "Freak Map Competition" and was organized 3 times lately. If you want to beat them you should join us.

What is the Tuning Contest?

The purpose of the competition is to decorate a base level generated by the fastest mapper in the world - the megawad generator Oblige version 0.94. You get started on something ugly and uninteresting and make something wonderful and unusual within the limits of the rules.

RULES

Requirements:

• IWAD: DOOM2.WAD v1.9;
  • Level format: BOOM;
  • Your PWAD can contain anything you like, but the map itself should be MAP01;
  • The initial geometry provided by Oblige should be a natural and integral part of the final geometry;
  • The Work should not exceed 5 Mbytes in a ZIP archive;
  • You have 2 weeks for building. After this time, if the number of competitors is more than 10, the judges will choose the top 10. The final winner will be selected from the top 10 by means of public voting on this forum;
  • Deadline: 5 August, 24:00 Greenwich mean time.
  • Send your finished maps to my Email. It is: andrey.budko at gmail.com;
Not allowed:
  • Using any non-BOOM features, except for MAPINFO or similar features in other ports to prevent jumping, crouching, etc., or setting parameters to provide maximum compatibility with BOOM;
  • Using tags that are specific to the level's number (e.g., Tag 666);
  • Changing the position of the base vertices. The 2D-projection of the base geometry must be kept unchanged;
  • Allowing the player to walk outside the bounding rectangle of the base level. This bounding box will be added to the map before publishing and can be deleted;
  • Additional sprites;
  • Additional sounds;
  • Dehacked;
Allowed:
  • More than one level by the same author;
  • Splitting the base linedefs (to add vertices);
  • Adding new sectors as you please, inside the base area, or outside it;
  • Changing the properties of the base sectors (please don't abuse this);
  • Removing and changing the positions of things and adding new ones;
  • Additional music in mus or midi format;
  • Additional textures;
Welcome:
  • Large but inaccessible areas outside the bounding rectangle of the initial geometry;
  • Demos in the following formats: Boom 2.02, ZDoom 2.1.7, GZDoom 1.0.24;
Judging:
  • The list of judges is defined by your offers in this thread with maybe subsequent two-day voting and should be announced before deadline. There is a condition: two vacant places are reserved by the countries of the Former Soviet Union Region;
  • The judge can participate in competition, but can't vote for his level;
  • Each judge should play each level and evaluate it from 1 up to 5. The result of voting is total sum of scores. Competitor with the greatest sum becomes the winner. If several competitors have identical sum, then preferences are given to levels were sent earlier;
  • Maps should be tested in BOOM, PrBoom(-Plus) -complevel 9 or (G)ZDoom;
  • Duration of public voting is one week;
In case I forgot something vital, some rules may change.

Phase #1

Base level:
http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/tuning_contest.zip

Participants:
Post in this thread if you wish to participate in this contest.
1. Alexander "Eternal" S. (aka Deadall)
2. 3DFace
3. Wraith
4. Far]ASTS[
5. Ak-01
6. 3EPHOEd
7. Falcor
8. EDEdDNEdDYFaN
9. JS-Raven
10. Detonator
11. daimonreloaded

Judges:
Post in this thread if you want to be a judge or want to suggest someone.
1. Chris Hansen
2. Liberation
3. BoldEnglishman

Later I shall announce the list of competitors from the countries of the Former Soviet Union Region.

Wasn't there a SLIGE editing megawad a while back? i saw some shots that looked pretty damn awesome, but never heard anything after that. I think it was buried under a "lol if we wanted random levels we'd make them ourselves" mound of cyncism and insults at the hard editing and improving work which had gone into them (and i should think making crappy architecture good is harder than just making good architecture to start with)

A chance to be judge for a day!? I wouldn't miss it for the world! Sign me up, sir!

Is there any chance the deadline will be pushed back an bit cause I don't think I will have enough time to finish something.

dutch devil said:

Is there any chance the deadline will be pushed back an bit cause I don't think I will have enough time to finish something.

yes, we can
if you will participate

EDEdDNEdDYFaN said:

How far is everyone so far ;)?

daimonreloaded already finished his level and that's what I wanted to see from this competition. Good job.

Is posting screens allowed or drop an link here for people to download I guess the latter isn't allowed.

I'm working on seed 13 its an medium/large sized map I'll do my best to complete it it won't be anything too fancy on the looks.

dutch devil said:

Is posting screens allowed or drop an link here for people to download I guess the latter isn't allowed.

You can post your screens if you want.

dutch devil said:

I'm working on seed 13 its an medium/large sized map

You should use base level generated by me (seed 999, small). See the rules:

Shite I all this work I've done is for nothing then, I thought we could use any seed we wanted.

I thought the link was just an example of what you had in mind, I'm going to drop out sorry I have no strength left to start all over again.

I blaim my own stupidity I should have read the rules better.

dutch devil said:

Shite I all this work I've done is for nothing then, I thought we could use any seed we wanted.

I thought the link was just an example of what you had in mind, I'm going to drop out sorry I have no strength left to start all over again.

I blaim my own stupidity I should have read the rules better.

Ah, sorry to hear that DD. I'd love to see what you did so far, though. :P

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/freak4.zip

This archive contains WAD with all levels. There are seven levels from five competitors. The first level is a base level by Oblige. Others are sorted on similarity to the base:
MAP01 - by Oblige
MAP02 - by Far
MAP03 - by Daimonreloaded
MAP04 - by Eternal
MAP05 - by 3EPHOEd
MAP06 - by Wraith
MAP07 - by Eternal
MAP08 - by Eternal

Now you can play all levels and estimate them at one's true worth:
3 points to the most worthy.
2 points to the second cool
1 points for bronze.

You should give your points to the competitor, not to a level.

Competitors: Daimonreloaded, Eternal, Far, Wraith, 3EPHOEd

Reviews of the liked (or unliked) levels are welcomed.