Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bastet Furry

TOP100 games from retroremakes.org, we made place 2!

Doom number two? Right behind a terrible-looking-boring-game-piece-of-crap-game-that-should-go-and-die? WHY?!

Doom should be first, it is the best game ever.

Bullshit.

Elite isnt that bad.
They should have used a screenshot from a more advanced system though.
Something like the Acorn Archimedis or the Amiga.

They gave Half-Life 2 9th place? Man, I would have rated that much lower, maybe around the 40 or 30's. That's the exact problem with making a "top x items" list": nobody can agree what game should go where.

Thats odd. No reference to Command and Conquer anywhere. Red alert nothing. Hmmm.... Maybe it wasn't that great after all,.
OFFTOPIC
I was going to ask where I could get the AntiVir installer when I looked at my desktop and ... oh my! ... its antivir installer. :)

Snarboo said:

They gave Half-Life 2 9th place? Man, I would have rated that much lower, maybe around the 40 or 30's.

I wouldn't have rated it that high. In fact, I'm not sure I'd have it on the 100 at all. Whatever, these lists are always pointless. They attempt to quantify something using subjective criteria, if indeed any criteria are used at all. They usually end up more like "The first 100 games I plucked out of my arse when asked to come up with a list for me to bullshit about each one".

They are a great way to get attention for your magazine/ web site/ tv station/ whatever because people love to debate them.

Elite was pretty cool though, even though I never really got into it myself.

Enjay said:
Whatever, these lists are always pointless.

But they do make sense, since they always have DOOM around the top!

I hate these kinds of lists. There always so predictable and they always present themselves like they are the ultimate authority on whats the best. Nowhere do you ever see "...in our opinion..." just sticking in that one line somewhere where it is clearly visible would make them so much more tolerable to me.

Lamneth said:
I hate these kinds of lists. There always so predictable and they always present themselves like they are the ultimate authority on whats the best. Nowhere do you ever see "...in our opinion..." just sticking in that one line somewhere where it is clearly visible would make them so much more tolerable to me.

But it's not their opinion. The paragraph at the top of the page states 'as voted by you!'

Although I'm not sure I can believe Elite could be voted number one by random internet people. Even if they are hardcore gamers.

Oh and Half-Life is an amazing game with an even better sequel and deserves to be on everyones top ten.

Danarchy said:

What is Elite and what makes it so great?

Drug trafficking?

(I don't know if the second word is spelled right, I'm too tired to check it)

Captain Red said:

free-roaming outer space pew-pewing.

Go play X3: Reunion (or X2 if wanted) or Freelancer, or Eve Online they promote better free-roaming outer space pew-pewing (especially Freelancer).

Beware!: X3 and Eve online have a STEEP learning cure, freelancer is suggested to the casual player as it is easy to pickup and play.

Don't the last two X games come bundled with StarForce, too? I seem to remember hearing about a patch that removes it, though, and I think both of those games are on Steam now, so you don't have to fool around with that.

Captain Red said:

Oh and Half-Life is an amazing game with an even better sequel and deserves to be on everyones top ten.

Half life was (is?) a good game that raised the bar in so many areas. It deserved many of the accolades it got. HL2 was a nothing special game dressed up in a new, fancy engine. In addition, it was crippled by Steam. HL2 is, at best, a case of the Emperor's new clothes: everyone says how good it is but, quite frankly, there's nothing there.

I love Doom but would have to agree about Elite being the best. When i first got it(the crappy looking wireframe version that needed a 'fast 8 mhz 286' for the shaded polygon hi-res version) I thought it was really too hard to play but didnt really have any other games so I kept trying then once I got a docking computer it all seemed to make sense. I played it solidly for months. Somehow the shitty graphics and sounds didnt matter, it was almost like being immersed in a science fiction novel at the time.

Friends of mine played Elite on the BBC B and the Speccy for ages. I never really got into it, but I could see why they did.

Enjay said:

Half life was (is?) a good game that raised the bar in so many areas. It deserved many of the accolades it got. HL2 was a nothing special game dressed up in a new, fancy engine. In addition, it was crippled by Steam. HL2 is, at best, a case of the Emperor's new clothes: everyone says how good it is but, quite frankly, there's nothing there.

I have to agree with that. Half-Life was a great game that set the player in a wonderful gaming world that felt new and fresh in so many ways. While I do think Half-Life 2 was a good experience, it fails as a game. There was nothing there. The great environments, good looking graphics and decent sound couldn't save it from the really childish characters(Alyx, Dog? Ugh), almost non-existant story presentation and arcade railroad shooter qualities. The physics puzzles were so obvious and dumb that my toes curled up every time they appeared. Half-Life 2 is a fine experience, but it's not much of a game.

Enjay said:

In addition, it was crippled by Steam.

Yeah that was probably the factor that turned me off of it :S I found Steam annoying to use and navigate in. It's like all I wanted to do was click an icon to load up the game but nope you've got like a whole launcher to go through constantly advertising new-games (or Half-Life 2 itself iirc).

I played through it once just to see what would happen, but I don't think I will ever play it again. Half-Life 1 on the otherhand, is a blast to play through.