Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

3dmidtex disables block monsters

3dmidtex linedefs allow monsters to pass its clear areas, even if it also has the block monsters flag. Isn't block monsters supposed to BLOCK MONSTERS anytime?

I have never seen the block monsters lines not work. Are you checking in game or inside the editor?

MidTex : MIDTEX WORKS
MidTex + BlockMonster : MIDTEX WORKS, BLOCKMONSTER FAILS
MidTex + Impassable : MIDTEX WORKS, IMPASSABLE WORKS
MidTex + Impassable + BlockMonster : SEE ABOVE; IT STILL BLOCKS MONSTERS TOO

So with Impassable it does block every walker, but with Block Monsters it can't do on monsters. It's clearly a bug.

Block monster line flag has a special meaning when used on 3DMidTex lines. It is used to help keep monsters from hanging too far off the edges. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish by having monster-blocking 3DMidTex.

Quasar said:

Block monster line flag has a special meaning when used on 3DMidTex lines. It is used to help keep monsters from hanging too far off the edges.

Good. Great. So I'll be able to make 3d bridges from where passing monsters won't fall from being shot too hard. Phew. I needed this. ;) It's good because there's finally a 3d bridge in my experience which allows monsters to pass it.

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish by having monster-blocking 3DMidTex.

I'm tryin' 3d bridges for the player, but without letting monsters pass underneath and cross a designated perimeter, or risk getting stuck on perpetually moving floors - which BTW happen to be on the same lines as the 3d bridge.

Hey, I didn't know "block monster" worked that way on 3DMT lines. It does sound like a good idea.

printz said:
or risk getting stuck on perpetually moving floors

Alternatively, you can block walking monsters by creating a deep (25 units or deeper) gap in the floor between it and the moving floor area. When you make the gap really small (max 2 units wide) and use property transfer to draw a fake floor on top of it, the player will not notice anything odd. A walking monster will not cross the "drop"; flying monsters can still move over it, but they don't get stuck on moving floors.

printz said:

Good. Great. So I'll be able to make 3d bridges from where passing monsters won't fall from being shot too hard. Phew. I needed this. ;) It's good because there's finally a 3d bridge in my experience which allows monsters to pass it.
I'm tryin' 3d bridges for the player, but without letting monsters pass underneath and cross a designated perimeter, or risk getting stuck on perpetually moving floors - which BTW happen to be on the same lines as the 3d bridge.

Just put normal monster blocking lines next to the bridge. They won't cross those.

Quasar said:
Just put normal monster blocking lines next to the bridge. They won't cross those.

Mordeth said:
flying monsters can still move over it

SoM said:

I added this feature when I was testing out the 3dmidtex feature initially. There was no other way to tell a monster where the edge of a 3dmidtex line was besides maybe adding another flag but at the time I was unsure of how well editors would handle additional flags...

My thinking when I was writing the feature was that indeed you could just add another line close to your 3dmidtex line with the block monsters flag if you needed to block monsters.

Mord: Flying monsters don't cross normal monster blockers unless this is a bug I've never heard of. And 3DMidTex have no effect on flying monsters at any rate. Why should they ever be able to block a flying monster, unless the texture is tall enough to close the space between the floor and ceiling?

If you're wanting 3DMidTex to create a magical barrier, you're trying to use them for something that is beyond their purpose. Either that or you just need to create a texture which consists of an entirely blank patch :P This would create a 128-tall invisible barrier. There are already other more intuitive ways to do this though.

Quasar said:

Mord: Flying monsters don't cross normal monster blockers

That why he suggested using a narrow sector with a dropoff, so that "flying monsters can still move over it". Jeesh, read the whole thread.