Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Charu

Fear - Are You Afraid

Yes, well I've been working on something for the Doom Community and since this is my first time contributing to the community, I would like to say a big hello to everyone.

Now that's out of the way, lets get down to what this is.

Fear is a map (obviously) for, not Doom... not Doom 2. It's not a map for any source port. No, quite beyond that actually. This map is for Kaiser's creation of a wonderful TC using a modified Doomsday Engine, Doom 64: Absolution; An almost near identical port from the N64's, Doom 64.

The reason I choose to do this, it's because I virtually see no one make an attempt to map using Kaiser's modified Doomsday Engine. Granted I heard how hard and complex editing with it is. It'll be quite sad not to see anyone make an attempt with it, as Doom 64 is my favorite Doom game. I'm sure others feel the same way, and I'm also sure others would severely disagree with me.

Well, with that out of the way, about this map.

Note that the following information is up at Wads In Progress.

Story with no meaning: You wake up and you notice that everyone is gone. The lights are dim and you have no idea how you got there in the first place. You can barely see what's ahead of you, but you all know to well that it can't be anything good. The smell of meat reaches your nostrils... rotten meat that is. It disgusts you, because you know what's in the darkness as you've seen them so many times in your time here on Mars. It's the demons.

Screenshots

Progress: I'm about 50% done with construction of the whole map while only about 30% done with details and Thing placements.

It is not my intention to rain on your parade; however, the pictures don't tell much. The first screenshot is extremely dark, to the point of making everything but the lights visible. The other two shots are better, but don't reveal much about the map except that it uses OpenGL lighting and Quake textures. [The architecture revealed in screenshot 2, such as it is, is not bad.] Still, I wish you luck in your venture.

EDIT: Correction - as pointed out, the textures are D64 not Quake.

ReX said:

It is not my intention to rain on your parade; however, the pictures don't tell much. The first screenshot is extremely dark, to the point of making everything but the lights visible. The other two shots are better, but don't reveal much about the map except that it uses OpenGL lighting and Quake textures. [The architecture revealed in screenshot 2, such as it is, is not bad.] Still, I wish you luck in your venture.

Those are Doom64 textures, not Quake textures. The Doom64 textures and the OpenGL lighting are because it's a map for Doom64 TC. Heh.

But yeah, the shots are rather dark and don't show much.

Thank you for your input.

Well, the lighting is done with OpenGL, but that's because I forced the program to display only in OpenGL (it plays smoother for me).

Oh, and to clarify any concerns, I'm making sure that you face no enemies near where visibility is an issue. The whole map though is going to be using a very dark atmosphere, but not to the point where you can't see what's ahead of you.