Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlankMind

Former Human

Antidote said:

A former human, 'nuff said.

Haha **

Well, for your sadness and dispair, here I am again with another question :p
About Cacodemon in Doom manual: "...and boast one Hell of a big mouth.". I couldn't understand what this part means, can somebody help me (for the 1982312th time)?

Imagine how one would sound saying that.

one hell of a big mouth = real big mouth. Flourish it as you see fit in your language.

To boast is to brag; in this case it means more or less that the Cacodemon is proud to have a big mouth. "one Hell of a" just emphasizes the size, like saying "quite" (meaning it's a very big mouth.)

The equivalent is "...and equipped with quite a big mouth".

myk said:

To boast is to brag; in this case it means more or less that the Cacodemon is proud to have a big mouth. "one Hell of a" just emphasizes the size, like saying "quite" (meaning it's a very big mouth.)

The equivalent is "...and equipped with quite a big mouth".

Got it, very clear explanation, thanks :)

Bank said:

The reason I ask is because former is indicative of being something previously but not currently. Is a zombie not a human? Or is it just a completely diverse race of anything that's not alive but not quite dead. If so, the naming convention would be correct, if not, than the word former makes no sense.

Just because a human being might be a jerk, you wouldn't say they're a jerk human. The human status is both constant and implied. In the same way, former human seems a bit of a misnomer where "zombie" is sufficient.

The DOOM bible called the possessed humans dehumans; they were "dehumanized" (and it's also possibly a pun related to de- from demon). The general concept was kept with "former human" as they are in that sense less human or not really human anymore. It's similar to being inhuman, but in a more concrete or absolute way.

myk said:

The DOOM bible called the possessed humans dehumans; they were "dehumanized" (and it's also possibly a pun related to de- from demon).

Or it's a Black Sabbath joke. The timing would be dead on.

myk said:

The DOOM bible called the possessed humans dehumans; they were "dehumanized"

Thanks for pointing. For a reason I continuously thought that was a misspelling of demihuman...

BlankMind said:

"they'll rip your fraggin' head off". I understood the sense of the phrase, but couldn't get the sense of "fragging". What does it mean? Synonyms would be nice :)

using the word "fragging" here is just to avoid using the vulgar word "fucking", as others have mentioned.

in the context of the phrase, the word is mostly in place for colour, it does not add to the information contained in the phrase, but hopefully to make it sound more interesting than it actually is.

alternatives:

"they will rip your damn head off"

"they will rip your god forsaken head off"

"they will rip your screaming head off"

I think it's a reference to the DeathMatch frag, that the player's head serves for fragging.

Saying that a cacodemon has a big mouth could just be a way of saying dont trust it with your dark secrets, it gossips

Danarchy said:
Or it's a Black Sabbath joke. The timing would be dead on.

Yeah, good find, Dehumanizer is from '92.