Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I had an idea for a map... I geuss it would be a community project!? The idea was every person involved on this project would contribute one room. It does not matter how large or what you put in it (detail, sectors, etc). I figured if maybe 10 or 12 people work on this it would be really cool! For example I would build the first room and then send it to another mapper. If any one has any other ideas please let me know, I think this idea has potential to be a really sweet map (even if it is just one map, it will contain alot of different styles of mapping!)
My e-mail is still StealthyIvan@hotmail.com
Send me ideas!!!
BTW this level will be Skulltag compatible and using the textures wad Gothictx
So far...
Room:1 StealthyIvan -Finished
Room:2 Icarus - Finished
Room:3 Dutch Devil - Finished
Room:4 StealthyIvan - waiting
Room:5 Beanenator ?
Room:6
Room:7
Room:8
Room:9
Room:10
etc
There are plenty of spots open.

reminds me of what the quake authors do over at celephais.net:

they do a map with multiple authors in much the same way. As I have never bothered to learn to map, I can't help much at the moment, but I wanted to let you know of the similarities and what I've seen.

Well I will be starting it soon (the first sector) then I hope some other people join in! Any ideas that you peeps have would be sweet!

Great idea if you don't mind that linguica had a similar idea 3 years ago, the result was imo very good.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12834
A quote from the textfile
"In this WAD, each of the 12 authors was given a block of space 1024x1024 units big and asked to create a part of a larger level. However, all they were given to guide them were small slivers of the previously created pieces adjacent to theirs."
edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exquisite_corpse
sector 1 an exquisite corpse ?
Maybe Erik Alm is interested.

Would you also have to construct the connection (i.e. door) to the adjacent sector? Or would there be a seperate person who makes each door? (Hence the "1 sector" theme.) You may actually want to say something like "1 sector + X subsectors," X being how many you'd allow. Of course this still doesn't include the doors...

I worked on the 1024 project (with Lutrov), I did not know that Ling had done this befor (Sorry dude) but it still would be cool to try in 2007 when more people have more ideas/styles!

Isn't one sector a bit too little? If I'd want to make some light effect in a hallway, I draw the first sector of it, then the 11 other people completely rape the hallway by drawing loose sectors in them which do not resemble anything (yet)... Maybe something like 10 or 20 sectors. Would be a lot more fun IMO.

Wouldn't it be better, rather than limiting the mapper to a certain area or number of sectors, to give a time-limit of 24 hours for the mapper to add whatever they wanted to the map. Then the WAD could be handed over to the next mapper on the list. Maybe even let the map go through the full participant circle a few times.

Dude, you can put as many sectors as you want in the first sector that you built. Do you see my point, the sector can be as big as you want and you can put sectors, lines, things, etc in it, but you only get one to work on, then when your done you pass it to another person to work on.

Two remarks:
So the fourth person would see the result of 1-3, the seventh the result of 1-6...
Number nine can start mapping when number 8 has finished. Number 8 can start when number 7 has finished...
Maybe if 4 people start mapping and the first one finished pass it to number 5. Number 6 might have the maps of 1,3,5 and number 10 the parts of 1,2,3,5,6,8 or however it turns out.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Dude, you can put as many sectors as you want in the first sector that you built. Do you see my point, the sector can be as big as you want and you can put sectors, lines, things, etc in it, but you only get one to work on, then when your done you pass it to another person to work on.

So essentially your idea has nothing to do with "one sector". It sounds like your standard multi-author map where one person starts then another person adds on etc etc.

This could be a really cool project to be part of, but the overall plan needs more thinking through, TBH.

so you're saying that one author builds a "room" (hall, outdoor environment, etc) and details it as much as s/he wants and then passes that to the next person to build a "room" (hall, outdoor area, etc) off of it?

I will start this project and show you guys exactly what I mean... Remember how level 30 of the 1024 project was supposed to have every one build a 1024 by 1024 section of the map, well instead of having limits (1024) your sector/section of the level can be as big as you want (and you can put as much detail/buildings/moutains/etc in it as you want)they just all have to fit together in a way. Lets give it a shot huh? ;)
Oh and Ling, I geuss it really needs a name cause 1 sector does not fit. :P I did'nt have anything else to call it at the time (Kinda like mappers/writers block) so I figured that would due for now?!

Stealthy Ivan said:

so I figured that would due for now

Um, excuse me?
Anyway, what about "The Collaborative WAD Project?"

yomoneyboat said:

Um, excuse me?
Anyway, what about "The Collaborative WAD Project?"

Excuse me??? Heh, I need a better name for my project, thats why I am asking for ideas (its been a while since I've started projects/mapped)... So I would really like some feedback on the project name/style and what you think we could do with it, etc.
BTW I am starting my level/sector in skulltag format thus giving us maximum multi player capabilities!!!
I'm using Gothictx.wad for textures and I have already started my level!

Yes one room, the name should have been one room, not one sector. :P my bad.
As for the level, I have a good start, I might post some pics if people are interested, plus I need a list of peeps who will be working on this so I know who to send it to next.
Any input would help me greatly since I am a bit rusty (but you still can teach an old dog new tricks :P)

Stealthy Ivan said:

Yes one room, the name should have been one room, not one sector. :P my bad.

Thread title changed accordingly, as it would just cause endless confusion otherwise. It still hardly represents what you're describing, so I would suggest you amend the thread title yourself once you have decided upon a more descriptive name for the idea.

I'd like to work a new room for your map, when you're decided. NOTE: ONLY IF FOR VANILLA DOOM, BOOM, MBF, ETERNITY OR VANILLA ZDOOM; ONLY DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, TNT.WAD, PLUTONIA.WAD, HERETIC.WAD, HEXEN.WAD OR STRIFE1.WAD.

So when ready PM me so I'll tell you the e-mail where you send the unfinished wad.

printz said:

I'd like to work a new room for your map, when you're decided. NOTE: ONLY IF FOR VANILLA DOOM, BOOM, MBF, ETERNITY OR VANILLA ZDOOM; ONLY DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, TNT.WAD, PLUTONIA.WAD, HERETIC.WAD, HEXEN.WAD OR STRIFE1.WAD.

So when ready PM me so I'll tell you the e-mail where you send the unfinished wad.

Well I plan on using skulltag, and the textures wad Gothictx.wad.

doom2day said:

And since nodebuilders don't like levels with one sector...

It's one room, it does not matter how many sectors there are or how large it is (Tech base/ hell map/ midevevil, etc)... My section will be done soon.

printz said:

ONLY DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, TNT.WAD, PLUTONIA.WAD, HERETIC.WAD, HEXEN.WAD OR STRIFE1.WAD.

Are there any other official Doom games (excluding expansions) :p

printz said:

ONLY IF FOR VANILLA DOOM, BOOM, MBF, ETERNITY OR VANILLA ZDOOM; ONLY DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, TNT.WAD, PLUTONIA.WAD, HERETIC.WAD, HEXEN.WAD OR STRIFE1.WAD.

You shoulda just listed what you don't have ;)

I have pics ready if any one wants to see, and I could send you a copy of the wad to test play if you want???
Just PM or send me an E-mail to StealthyIvan@hotmail.com
BTW this was only an hour or two's worth of work so far... Believe me this will be cool!!! (If your an old school doomer :P)
I have to admit, I am not as good as Tormentor667 but its still fun to play. :)
I also have left a doorway in the map/room for the next person to build off of.

I'm in on this, definitely. Only problem is:
Either I do my section of the .wad tomorrow before I go on holiday, or in a fortnight when I get back. Hmmhmmhmm...

But sure, I'm in.

Awsome!!!!! Well I will e-mail you the pics, and the level/room, it is not finished but it will be real soon. I'm in no hurry to get this project done, good things take time.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Well I plan on using skulltag, and the textures wad Gothictx.wad.

Skull Tag? Then count me out if Skull Tag only. It doesn't belong in my all caps list above because it's not vanilla ZDoom.

The reason I practically mentioned all games is that I wanted to avoid whatever custom IWADs exist around the Internet.